28 Jul '14 - 05:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: 3.4 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 239310 times)
saga

« Reply #660 on: 25 May '09 - 19:21 »
Reply with quoteQuote

thanks for the update! about the mysterious info window problem, it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I'll try to track this problem down...
SmartOne

« Reply #661 on: 5 Jun '09 - 07:29 »
Reply with quoteQuote

The drum-loop in channel 1 does sound a bit out of place. I haven't heard the tune in-game, but perhaps that channel is muted? You can do that in XMPlay via the "MOD Pattern Display" vis (middle-click on the channel).

Regarding things sounding "smoother", do you mean that percussive sounds aren't so percussive? If so, check that the Ramping setting isn't on "normal" (try "sensitive" instead).

Thank you.  It was the channel muting and possibly a different surround or volume ramping setting.  Didn't know you could mute channels.  Learn something new about XMPlay every day!   Smiley
saga

« Reply #662 on: 5 Jun '09 - 13:16 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok, I think I know what's going wrong with the info window now: When I use "close at end of track" and have the player minimized to the tray, the info window won't show up the next time I launch xmplay. Smiley

weeeee, 600 posts! Grin
« Last Edit: 5 Jun '09 - 14:08 by saga » Logged
Cosworth

« Reply #663 on: 5 Jun '09 - 14:21 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Strange bug I have today, when I press on "Position slider", xmplay is open "Open file" window Undecided
« Last Edit: 5 Jun '09 - 14:25 by Cosworth » Logged
Dotpitch

« Reply #664 on: 5 Jun '09 - 15:05 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Strange bug I have today, when I press on "Position slider", xmplay is open "Open file" window Undecided
Does that happen with the default skin as well? Perhaps this black version is just misconfigured.
Cosworth

« Reply #665 on: 5 Jun '09 - 17:06 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Does that happen with the default skin as well? Perhaps this black version is just misconfigured.

It's happens with all skins. Strange bug... Lips Sealed
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #666 on: 5 Jun '09 - 17:19 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ok, I think I know what's going wrong with the info window now: When I use "close at end of track" and have the player minimized to the tray, the info window won't show up the next time I launch xmplay. Smiley

Ah yes. Here's an update that should correct that...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Strange indeed. When you move the mouse over the position slider, does the slider or the "Open file(s)" button get highlighted?
Cosworth

« Reply #667 on: 5 Jun '09 - 18:04 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Strange indeed. When you move the mouse over the position slider, does the slider or the "Open file(s)" button get highlighted?

Hm, I think, I had found why, it's after "Babylon" translater Shocked
« Last Edit: 5 Jun '09 - 18:06 by Cosworth » Logged
Dotpitch

« Reply #668 on: 5 Jun '09 - 19:38 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hm, I think, I had found why, it's after "Babylon" translater
So Babylon Translator tries to hook into XMPlay, but it actually breaks the interface. Do more funny things occur, or do the rest of XMPlays buttons work properly? I hope Babylon has some sort of blacklist which you can add XMPlay to.
Cosworth

« Reply #669 on: 5 Jun '09 - 20:39 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hm, I think, I had found why, it's after "Babylon" translater
So Babylon Translator tries to hook into XMPlay, but it actually breaks the interface. Do more funny things occur, or do the rest of XMPlays buttons work properly? I hope Babylon has some sort of blacklist which you can add XMPlay to.

Yep, I had add Smiley
saga

« Reply #670 on: 6 Jun '09 - 10:48 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think it would be a good idea if xmplay saved the queue independently from the rest of xmplay.ini at regular intervals, just like the playlist. I had a rather long queue and decided to unload the oddcast plugin which crashed xmplay then... so my queue was gone..

Oh, and I'd also request better support for synaptics touchpads, because I can neither use the trackpoint nor the touchpad to scroll the playlist on my thinkpad Sad
« Last Edit: 6 Jun '09 - 11:08 by saga » Logged
Tsorovan

« Reply #671 on: 6 Jun '09 - 15:48 »
Reply with quoteQuote

The playlist should really be saved whenever there is an actual change (whenever a file is added or removed, or the list is reordered in any way). I'm surprised that wasn't fixed earlier.
Put in a 5-second activity check/delay or something like that so it won't cause disk thrashing (when adding lots of files) and/or saving a file entry to a corrupt file that crashes XMPlay upon adding to the playlist.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun '09 - 15:50 by Tsorovan » Logged
Cris

« Reply #672 on: 9 Jun '09 - 12:19 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I just realized a few moments ago that my XMPlay's playlist only contained less than half of the songs I used to have in playlist (about 900 items, from a total of about 2600), and that the library and everything it contained related to play history and overwritten tags are...gone! Cry Cry

I simply cannot imagine what could have gone wrong.

The only thing that comes to my mind is related to a system crash I had yesterday. Looking at what was left of the original playlist file, I noticed that the last entry had no title or length...it just had the path, which tells me that this corruption occurred while XMPlay was saving the file (I set it to auto-save the playlist at 10 minutes).

Now...if the process of auto-saving the playlist is like this:
- delete current xmplay.pls and xmplay.library files
- write xmplay.pls
- write xmplay.library
- overwriting directly the files (without deleting them first) is exactly the same thing, as the system automatically truncates the file's content to 0 when opening a file for writing.
then I have to say: this is the wrong way to do it. Because it might lead to corruption in case of xmplay/system failure during the auto-save process, and the loss of over 2 years of library management (which I was kinda proud of  Cry ).

The correct way to do it is:
- save the xmplay.pls and xmplay.library files with temporary names
- copy both files, replacing the original ones
- after the copy process is done, remove the temporary files
It's not complicated at all, it doesn't consume resources (the only difference is copying the files and deleting them, which takes a very short time, considering it's 2 files of a few hundred KB). And if anything goes wrong at any of the steps, then at least one set of files will be left intact, and the user can recover them, so this method minimizes a lot the risk of data corruption or data loss during playlist/library saving.

So please, Ian, can you make these changes in XMPlay? There's no way to recover what I lost at this point, so I have to deal with it. But just to be sure that nor me, nor other users, get in the same situation, please make these changes in XMPlay (you can also apply them for normal playlist/library saving, since the same problems can occur then). Thanks.  Smiley
« Last Edit: 9 Jun '09 - 12:22 by Cris » Logged
Knurek

« Reply #673 on: 9 Jun '09 - 21:27 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Better yet, have the player keep an optional backup if anyone fancies it. Smiley
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #674 on: 10 Jun '09 - 15:26 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think it would be a good idea if xmplay saved the queue independently from the rest of xmplay.ini at regular intervals, just like the playlist. I had a rather long queue and decided to unload the oddcast plugin which crashed xmplay then... so my queue was gone..

Yep, the queue was only saved when closing. Here's an update that should auto-save it along with the playlist...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Oh, and I'd also request better support for synaptics touchpads, because I can neither use the trackpoint nor the touchpad to scroll the playlist on my thinkpad Sad

I'm not familiar with that stuff. If you can provide some info on it (eg. is there a message to handle?), I'll see what can be done.

I just realized a few moments ago that my XMPlay's playlist only contained less than half of the songs I used to have in playlist (about 900 items, from a total of about 2600), and that the library and everything it contained related to play history and overwritten tags are...gone! Cry Cry

Ouch! Sad

The update above will backup the existing xmplay.library (to xmplay.library~) before updating it. A "NoBackup" XMPLAY.INI option has also been added to disable that.

It is strange that both your library and playlist were corrupted though. They aren't written simultaneously, so they can't both be interrupted by a crash. Did they both lose info at the same time, or could there have been separate incidents?

Did the library totally disappear or only the overridden tags? One important thing to note is that you should not switch to an older version of XMPlay (eg. from 3.4 to 3.3) whilst keeping a newer library, as it may not support the library's format, in which case it can't read the library contents and will end up replacing it. Is it possible that is what happened in your case? To avoid the possibility in future, XMPlay will from now on refuse to run with a library version that it doesn't recognise/support.
Cris

« Reply #675 on: 10 Jun '09 - 17:12 »
Reply with quoteQuote

The update above will backup the existing xmplay.library (to xmplay.library~) before updating it. A "NoBackup" XMPLAY.INI option has also been added to disable that.

Thank you very much. Smiley

It is strange that both your library and playlist were corrupted though. They aren't written simultaneously, so they can't both be interrupted by a crash. Did they both lose info at the same time, or could there have been separate incidents?

I seriously doubt it. I use the library, playlist, queue and Find Tracks a lot, and I immediately noticed when they disappeared. A day before, both the playlist and library were just fine.

Did the library totally disappear or only the overridden tags? One important thing to note is that you should not switch to an older version of XMPlay (eg. from 3.4 to 3.3) whilst keeping a newer library, as it may not support the library's format, in which case it can't read the library contents and will end up replacing it. Is it possible that is what happened in your case? To avoid the possibility in future, XMPlay will from now on refuse to run with a library version that it doesn't recognise/support.
The playlist, as I said, contained only 900+ items in it, and the last item had incomplete info.

The library, when I checked it, was containing only about 3 items, which I played just before I noticed that something is wrong (it was about 300+ bytes in size).

I didn't change absolutely anything related to XMPlay. I didn't switch versions, didn't add/remove plugins, I didn't even change settings (in the last few weeks). Maybe there was some other source for the file corruption, which lead to XMPlay dropping the library content... I have no way of checking it now. Sad

Thanks again for the update. Smiley
anon
« Reply #676 on: 14 Jun '09 - 17:55 »
Reply with quoteQuote

xmplay stopped trying to access the internet
i can't listen to any streaming radio
i don't get any error messages, it won't even try to connect to the internet (checked w/firewall/tcpview)
how do i figure out what is wrong?
i'm using videolan vlc in the meantime, so i'm not going crazy Smiley

thank you
Dotpitch

« Reply #677 on: 14 Jun '09 - 18:06 »
Reply with quoteQuote

xmplay stopped trying to access the internet. i can't listen to any streaming radio. i don't get any error messages, it won't even try to connect to the internet (checked w/firewall/tcpview). how do i figure out what is wrong?
Move or rename your xmplay.ini, start XMPlay and try to open the stream again. If that works, then the problem is solved Smiley. Otherwise, are you sure XMPlay isn't blocked by the firewall? Are you using a proxy? What type of stream are you trying to listen to?
anon
« Reply #678 on: 15 Jun '09 - 02:44 »
Reply with quoteQuote

it was working fine for two years, now suddenly this morning it stopped

>Move or rename your xmplay.ini
makes no difference, i even downloaded xmplay34 again, fresh directory no difference

>are you sure XMPlay isn't blocked by the firewall?
i am absolutely sure it isn't the firewall.
There is nothing in the  firewall logs,
and i even disabled the firewall and it still didn't work.
i checked with sysinternals procexp/tcpview, and it shows xmplay.exe isn't
even attempting to establish a network connection
It will play files, but not any kind of url.

>Are you using a proxy?
No

>What type of stream are you trying to listen to?
No url i try works, but I wanted to listen to  Led Zeppelin
http://www.piscitella.com:8002/listen.pls
[playlist]
NumberOfEntries=1
File1=http://www.piscitella.com:8002/

I'm listening it now using videolan vlc
saga

« Reply #679 on: 20 Jun '09 - 22:01 »
Reply with quoteQuote

hmm. i have had the mod and mp3 version of the same tune in my playlist here, so i decided to remove one of them. i removed the mp3 version and wanted to change the library entry of the mod version so it points to the mp3 file (as i wanted to keep it at the correct place in my playlist and not recreate all the library tags for this tune). of course i've removed the mp3 file from both the library and the playlist, but i still can't replace the mod's filename by the mp3 filename.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: