Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.5  (Read 398448 times)

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
Re: Suggestions for 3.5
« Reply #950 on: 23 Aug '09 - 02:59 »
Is there a way to keep the current track playing when I select Remove all from the playlist?
There's no dedicated option for that, but I've been doing this for a couple of years now:
- create these shortcuts for the same key and in that order:
- Listnav - Jump to current
- List sort - Reverse
- List track - Remove

Now when you press that key, the playlist will be cleared, except for the currently playing song.

SmartOne

« Reply #951 on: 23 Aug '09 - 05:36 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's kind of stinky since I'd like the playlist to still be cleared (like Winamp allows.)

Dotpitch

« Reply #952 on: 23 Aug '09 - 10:51 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's kind of stinky since I'd like the playlist to still be cleared (like Winamp allows.)
You cannot play a file that's not in the playlist, so that's not possible.

Pike84

« Reply #953 on: 23 Aug '09 - 22:41 »
My common sense tells me, that this shouldn't be very difficult to add as an option ;).

amit

« Reply #954 on: 16 Sep '09 - 13:58 »
Not sure if this feature is available or not, but I would love a 'Lock playlist' option and/or shortcut. Frequently I accidentally move tracks when double clicking them and don't always notice it. So for example if I decide to lock the playlist, it means tracks can't be moved, added or deleted. Would be a great feature if rearranging/adding to/deleting from the playlist(s) isn't on the horizon, like in my case these days. :)

This on/off switch would be stored in ini file so it gets saved between sessions and affects all playlists while it is on.

I like better the an option to lock individual tracks and not only the whole list. Then when replacing a list the ones flagged would stay. This would allow to stack up dynamic favorites "of the moment".

2. Ian , will you add buttons in the library and extended playlist to allow direct access to info window's different sections (general,message etc')? Long ago when originally suggested this you said such skin changes would take place only in the final release...  ;)

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #955 on: 19 Sep '09 - 14:01 »
I've been recording internet radio streams as mp3 with cue sheets.  This particular stream usually puts a short gap (dead air) between songs.  I take the one big file, fine-tune the break points, and then make it into individual mp3 files.

This has worked out better than recording individual mp3 files and fine-tuning each song by trying to trim the end off of one to paste onto the beginning of the next file.

Unfortunately, the original recording gets huge and difficult to handle.  To deal with this, I've been stopping the recording, and re-starting with a consecutively numbered filename to keep the files a reasonable size and so I can start working on one bunch of songs while the next is recording.

It would be awesome to have XMPlay "write to disk" with cue sheet have an option to limit filesize, limit time, or limit number of cues and then re-start with another filename (could use consecutive numbers or append start time to the filename).

Thanks for a great program!

Dotpitch

« Reply #956 on: 19 Sep '09 - 14:27 »
I've been recording internet radio streams as mp3 with cue sheets.  This particular stream usually puts a short gap (dead air) between songs.  I take the one big file, fine-tune the break points, and then make it into individual mp3 files.
It would be awesome to have XMPlay "write to disk" with cue sheet have an option to limit filesize, limit time, or limit number of cues and then re-start with another filename (could use consecutive numbers or append start time to the filename).
Why don't you try Streamripper? It can detect silences between tracks, so it splits the tracks and saves them with correct tags and filenames. In addition, it can relay the stream so you can still listen to it with XMPlay.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #957 on: 19 Sep '09 - 15:02 »
Why don't you try Streamripper? It can detect silences between tracks, so it splits the tracks and saves them with correct tags and filenames. In addition, it can relay the stream so you can still listen to it with XMPlay.
That's a program I haven't heard of before.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try.

[Later...] Wow - does just what I want.  Right now the stream is using crossfades, so I gotta wait for them to get back to brief silence between tracks.  Then I'll really work Streamripper hard.  Excellent suggestion!

« Last Edit: 19 Sep '09 - 17:36 by Jimmy Neutron »

Renderer

« Reply #958 on: 20 Sep '09 - 08:37 »
Unnecessary post deleted by user. Regards to the makers of the best windows modular player in the universe.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep '09 - 09:05 by Renderer »

Renderer

« Reply #959 on: 20 Sep '09 - 09:01 »
 :o Disregard my last post. :-[ after downloading  www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe I see that this has been fixed.   ;D

amit

« Reply #960 on: 24 Sep '09 - 10:23 »
Can skin scalers aslo affect mark_play bmp ?
« Last Edit: 24 Sep '09 - 10:40 by amit »

amit

« Reply #961 on: 6 Oct '09 - 11:03 »
About "locate in library" option: Wouldn't it be more comfortable if the results would be shown in the 'find tracks' window? What happens now is that The results most of the time are scattered along all the library. I need either to re-sort the library to match the criteria chosen or to scroll allover to find the tracks.

Bjossi

« Reply #962 on: 11 Oct '09 - 00:03 »
Not sure if this feature is available or not, but I would love a 'Lock playlist' option and/or shortcut. Frequently I accidentally move tracks when double clicking them and don't always notice it. So for example if I decide to lock the playlist, it means tracks can't be moved, added or deleted. Would be a great feature if rearranging/adding to/deleting from the playlist(s) isn't on the horizon, like in my case these days. :)

This on/off switch would be stored in ini file so it gets saved between sessions and affects all playlists while it is on.

I like better the an option to lock individual tracks and not only the whole list. Then when replacing a list the ones flagged would stay. This would allow to stack up dynamic favorites "of the moment".

That would require an additional entry in the playlist file afaik. My idea is more of a program-wide switch that is stored in ini file and affects all tracks in all playlists & the library while enabled.

But both would be cool. If not entries in the context menu when right clicking tracks in playlist/library then just a shortcut that can be mapped and used if the user desires.

Ian, you have ignored/missed this feature request twice now, it really would be good to get a plain yes or no. :-P

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #963 on: 12 Oct '09 - 15:35 »
Sorry, I must've missed that. Looking at it now, I'm not really sure how useful it would be, but perhaps I'm overlooking something? :)

Coffee

« Reply #964 on: 13 Oct '09 - 02:39 »
XMplay is the best audio player for windows I know. In my opinion there's nothing that comes even close to its flexibility, its ability to receive all sorts of radio streams, its over all snappy performance etc. etc. Still, there are a few improvements I'd like to see in a future version of XMplay ...

1 Record function

- there should be a dedicated record button next to the
  play/stop buttons with which the recording of the
  current radio stream can be started or stopped
  (toggle function). Maybe this button could be
  greyed out when instead of a radio stream a
  local audio track is being played. Such a
  change would, however, require new skins.

- it would be nice if recorded radio streams were stored
  in a selectable pre-defined format (wav,flac,ogg,mp3).
  I'm not sure how realistic this is as it requires an
  on-the-fly re-coding of the stream. But it would be
  very useful to avoid storing odd formats like ram.

- like now the recorded streams should all be stored in
  the same pre-defined directory. There should also be
  an option to put a time stamp in the file names to
  make them unique and thus protect them from being
  overwritten by subsequent recordings. The name
  could look something like this ...

... with station name from the stream
  "09-10-12 02-33-48 Psychedelic 60s Jukebox.mp3"

... or with station name from the library
  "09-10-12 02-33-48 Blues- KOQX Blues Radio.mp3"

... or with beginning and end time stamps
  "09-10-12 02-33-48 - 09-10-12 03-45-48.mp3"

... or with both stamps plus recording time
  "09-10-12 02-33-48 - 09-10-12 03-45-48.mp3 - 1h 12m 0s"

etc. etc.

2 Directory player function

- when XMplay is set up to be the default audio player,
  clicking on a track in the file manager launches
  XMplay which then plays the track and stops. It
  would be great if XMplay was able to create a
  temporary playlist of all the audio tracks in
  the current directory while playing the first
  track, sorted the playlist by file name and
  then continued to play the remaining tracks
  from the current point on.

This way whole albums and track compilations that are
  organized in a directory structure could more easily
  be played. There would be no need for dedicated
  playlists.

3 Linux!

- this has been discussed many times before and I know
  that chances for a native Linux version of XMplay
  are slim as it would probably require a complete
  re-write. But even more so than in Windows there
  is in my opinion no audio player for Linux that
  comes even close to XMplay. So, I'm sure that
  XMplay would be an instant hit in Linux if it
  didn't come in the form of a binary blob. And
  I think, that's where the main problem lies.
  A GPL'd version of XMplay is maybe asking
  a bit much ...  :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #965 on: 14 Oct '09 - 15:12 »
- it would be nice if recorded radio streams were stored
  in a selectable pre-defined format (wav,flac,ogg,mp3).
  I'm not sure how realistic this is as it requires an
  on-the-fly re-coding of the stream. But it would be
  very useful to avoid storing odd formats like ram.

That could probably be implemented via the DSP plugin system. I'll stick it on the "look into it" list :)

- like now the recorded streams should all be stored in
  the same pre-defined directory. There should also be
  an option to put a time stamp in the file names to
  make them unique and thus protect them from being
  overwritten by subsequent recordings.

That's a pretty nice idea, so here's an update to try, with the option of timestamping separated tracks...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

- when XMplay is set up to be the default audio player,
  clicking on a track in the file manager launches
  XMplay which then plays the track and stops. It
  would be great if XMplay was able to create a
  temporary playlist of all the audio tracks in
  the current directory while playing the first
  track, sorted the playlist by file name and
  then continued to play the remaining tracks
  from the current point on.

Couldn't you just open the directory with XMPlay instead of a single file? Check that the "Folders" option is enabled in the "Integration" options page for that. Recent "stuff" versions also include an "Auto sort by filename" option that'll do the sorting part of your request.

Zarggg

« Reply #966 on: 14 Oct '09 - 15:44 »
3 Linux!

- this has been discussed many times before and I know that chances for a native Linux version of XMplay are slim as it would probably require a complete re-write. But even more so than in Windows there is in my opinion no audio player for Linux that comes even close to XMplay. So, I'm sure that XMplay would be an instant hit in Linux if it didn't come in the form of a binary blob. And I think, that's where the main problem lies. A GPL'd version of XMplay is maybe asking a bit much ...  :)
There are BASS-based players for linux, which should pretty much do the same thing.

amit

« Reply #967 on: 14 Oct '09 - 16:28 »
Sorry, I must've missed that. Looking at it now, I'm not really sure how useful it would be, but perhaps I'm overlooking something? :)

I think in a multi playlist  situation an option to lock a playlist (or part of it) would  make more sense than now.

saga

« Reply #968 on: 14 Oct '09 - 16:40 »
There are BASS-based players for linux, which should pretty much do the same thing.
I wonder if they're as versatile concerning mod playback, though. And by that I mean a very important feature that XMPlay has, namely the per-song settings. I couldn't live without them. :D Listening to some mods with interpolation and some without, some with fadeout, some with loop once + fadeout... You can't get that in every player. :)

Bjossi

« Reply #969 on: 16 Oct '09 - 13:58 »

The reason I made the request is that entries in my playlist have an annoying tendency to move out of place since I use the mouse to navigate, sometimes I notice it and fix it, but other times not, so if I later add tracks I will be saving the updated playlist with errors here and there. Just today I fixed two of these. So a shortcut option to lock the playlist (meaning that adding, removing and moving entries will not be possible) would be very nice in this case, entries will stay put when they're not supposed to go anywhere. :P

My idea just involves a single switch that affects the entire program (all playlists and the library) and stays in effect until the shortcut action is performed again.

drmfoti

« Reply #970 on: 24 Oct '09 - 11:42 »
Well, finding out recently that the album cover plugin actually works now (easily, I mean) has led me to use XMPlay exclusively (with MP3tag for keeping my files tags - I don’t really like library functions much, and my files are well-sorted on my hard disk).

So this is just to say thanks for that!

A plugin which could use WMP visualisations would be nice.  Or a cover flow plugin for selecting albums... Well, I can dream!  ;D

But my main wish is that XMPlay does not become bloatware - keep it slick, small and portable!

raina

« Reply #971 on: 24 Oct '09 - 14:02 »

flm

« Reply #972 on: 28 Oct '09 - 06:16 »
Hi! Ian, can you, please, implement volume settings storing per device? Now i have 2 sound cards. 1 - integrated into matherboard, my headphones connected here. 2 - separate (pci) old ess sound card with passive speakers connected. When i change device from 1 to 2, volume remains the same, and music starts to play automaticcaly, but its too loud (or quite if i switch from 2 to 1)... So i must change volume every time before switching from one device to another, which is not too comfortable...

saga

« Reply #973 on: 28 Oct '09 - 06:30 »
Doesn't Windows actually have separate master volume sliders for each sound device. That would seem a logical thing to use to me, unless there is a reason for the two very different sound levels.

flm

« Reply #974 on: 28 Oct '09 - 07:19 »
Doesn't Windows actually have separate master volume sliders for each sound device. That would seem a logical thing to use to me, unless there is a reason for the two very different sound levels.
Yes it does, but i often need to change master volume for soundcard 1 (for some games, other soft. etc), so volumes of sc1 and sc2 are different almost all the time...