Author Topic: Where's the Balance Slider? - (Suggestion, maybe)  (Read 2794 times)

BuddhaNature

Have just download and started using XMPlay.  First thought is that it really is just what I was looking for; small, simple and very good quality output.  Very happy with that, my search came to an end.  No more bloatware.   :)    Standalone, too. :)  Ya, player heaven.  And the 'iXMPlay skin' quickly won my vote as best skin - many thanks to the author.   :)

However, I did notice one thing that disappointed - there doesn't seem to be a slider for setting the 'balance' for output.  You know, more to the left speaker, more to the right.   I'm actually a bit deaf in one ear so it helps a lot to be able to shove more sound out to that side.  I thought this was some kind of error on my part.  Looked for some way of enabling the slider.  None that I could find.  None?  ???      Look again, I must be wrong.  Noooo...  none! :o

It's the thing that really is missing everything else is just so fine.  So, two questions:

1.  If it is there and I'm just missing it, will someone please tell me how to find the slider for 'balance'?
2.  If it isn't there, please, please add one.  Please?  (There isn't a smiley for 'on bended knees' but really that's what I'm doing.)

Thanks.

Tsorovan

Re: Where's the Balance Slider? - (Suggestion, maybe)
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun '07 - 20:32 »
Not all skin authors have chosen to include it, and sadly, for some odd reason it's not accessible via Options and stuff. It really should be there if you ask me. Same with volume.

For now, you can switch to another skin, set the balance, and then switch back.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun '07 - 17:04 »
More conveniently, since 3.4 there are shortcuts to control the balance. By default, '/' and '*' (numpad).

BuddhaNature

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun '07 - 18:46 »
Thanks for the replies.  My only computer is a laptop, in preference to having a desktop, one of the things it doesn't have is a numpad.  There is a 'NumLk' key which enables part of the keyboard to operate as a numpad but it doesn't 'emumlate' the / and * numpad keys even if the NumLk is enabled.  Guess I have two choices; write to the author and ask, or learn how to do skins and see if I can modify it to suit.

I did download the 'source' for the skin but I'm clueless as to how to proceed.  I did swiftly modify the 'main' bmp by pasting a new slider in, but I can't see at all how to add in the 'command' to access the balance slider etc.  That apart if I try to open the existing skin, as it is 'installed' in the XMPlay folder, it looks like it is actually 'compiled' in some way.  Have looked at the site but didn't find anything by way of a tutorial on how to make, or modify, skins - including tools required to do so.  If I am reading things right though I'm thinking that this particular skin may not be readily modifiable anyway as it seems the case that some of the features were subject to special coding on the part of developer of XMPlay to suit the requirements of the skin.  Comment would be useful on that.  In general though a thorough tutorial on skin building would be very useful for the site.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: 7 Jun '07 - 18:58 by BuddhaNature »

Jace

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun '07 - 19:58 »
You can also add your own hotkeys for it (Options & Stuff -> Shortcuts -> DSP Balance left/right).

BuddhaNature

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun '07 - 20:40 »
Thank you, Jace - that worked   :)

Would still have liked see if I could modify the skin though.

Dotpitch

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun '07 - 20:54 »
You can download the skinning kit here, it includes the sources of iXMPlay as an example. And some tutorials from the support site will help, like Basic Skinning or Skinning Tips & Tricks, by Keltic Danor. There was another XMPlay-skinning Guide by cerealkiller, but I see that went offline by now...

BuddhaNature

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun '07 - 21:28 »
Thanks, Dotpitch

I had already downloaded the kit but the links look promising for a start.

Zarggg

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun '07 - 02:09 »
Personally, I think both Volume and Balance should go on the DSP preference panel.