Author Topic: "Vinyl" Scratching  (Read 3780 times)

ken

"Vinyl" Scratching
« on: 7 Aug '07 - 08:27 »
Ok I know this been up before...

But have anyone succeeded doing scratching with BASS/BASSFX (like VirtualDJ, Tracktor does it)  I realy want this in my app (no commercial app) and I have some $ if that helps...

Thanks!

RevG

Re: "Vinyl" Scratching
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug '07 - 23:42 »
I'm currently trying to work out some method to do this right now. If I figure it out I'll paste the code here for sure.

ken

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug '07 - 20:54 »
I'm currently trying to work out some method to do this right now. If I figure it out I'll paste the code here for sure.

Thanks Rev! 

scratching by "code" is first, but one step further, "vinyl control" like Finalscratch!

I found some opensource project. This have "vinyl control" and work realy good, but it's Linux... But some code must be usefull for BASS. http://www.xwax.co.uk/

And this one (cross platform) that will have vinylcontrol in next version. http://mixxx.sourceforge.net/

Or mabye this lib: http://home.gna.org/dscratch/en_index.html
« Last Edit: 15 Aug '07 - 08:16 by ken »

RevG

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug '07 - 22:07 »
I've spent about a day on this.. I'm having some real problems.

I have a scrolling waveform that I have given the ability to drag left and right just like virtualdj. I can not figure out out to make it play while dragging.

Basically I just set the position of the song based on how many pixels the waveform is dragged. That works great, but how I can drop the pitch and have it play the song smoothly as I drag I have no idea. I don't think I can use the BASS_ChannelSetPosition calls while dragging, because if I am playing the song while I make all these calls to BASS_ChannelSetPosition it is going to sound all choppy.

Any ideas on how I might have it play smoothly as I drag?

Cheers,
Greg
« Last Edit: 15 Aug '07 - 22:10 by RevG »

ken

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug '07 - 11:40 »
I've spent about a day on this.. I'm having some real problems.

I have a scrolling waveform that I have given the ability to drag left and right just like virtualdj. I can not figure out out to make it play while dragging.

I did a simular thing. A slider with value -88200 to 88200, when moving the slider from 0 to 88200  I set samplerate (BASS_ChannelSetAttributes) to slider value, and when 0 to -88200 i reverse playbak with BassFX and set samplerate (removing "-") to slider value.  Works fine but no real "scratch" effect like VirtualDJ.

RevG

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug '07 - 15:43 »
Apparently VirtualDJ uses " a simple interpolation algorithm to compute the scratch sound". I'll play around with that maybe.

saga

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug '07 - 13:14 »
Maybe you could try BASS_ChannelSlideAttributes instead BASS_ChannelSetAttributes with a short slide time, I think that increase the mix quality, wouldn't it? :)