Author Topic: Streaming radio in WMP or Real format?  (Read 3914 times)

Eto

Streaming radio in WMP or Real format?
« on: 30 Dec '07 - 01:29 »
 :D Just downloaded the program and still try to find my way around. I noticed the FAQ and very good explanation to the gui but cannot find a clear answer on something I would like to do.

I am interested to listen to German radiostations streaming newscasts. Most of these are geared up for either Windows Media Player or Realplayer. I hoped to avoid having to install either of these prgrams and wanted to rely on XMPlayer instead but I cannot figure out to listen to these.
I selected "all" under integration but that does not seem to make any difference.  Could someone please tell me what to do to listen e.g to http://www.antennebrandenburg.de/ - clicking in the middle "antenne hoeren" with the bar next to it, should start the streaming. In my case it opens a second window with a choice of either WMP or Real, clicking on either does not start the broadcast either.

Going to http://www.br-online.de/bayern3/ and clicking on the red button underneath "live on air", I am offered again the choice of WMP and Real.  While WMP works (internally), it does not start in XM Player. Trying Real again fails.

What am I missing?

Brian

Re: Streaming radio in WMP or Real format?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec '07 - 09:50 »
For the time being, you can right-click on the player icon for the format you prefer, and Copy Shortcut; then start XMPlay and tell it to open the shortcut. This works on my system with both of the stations you mention. You can also save the URL to your hard drive as a playlist file, and open it from there on future occasions. But somebody else may have a better answer.

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec '07 - 10:14 »
If you're using Firefox, you can change the program which opens the asx/wax or ram file (which are shortcuts to the streams) from WMP to XMPlay manually. XMPlay knows how to handle these streams if you have the right plugins. I don't believe it's possible for Internet Explorer though.

These are the direct stream adresses:
Antenne Brandenburg: mms://stream2.rbb-online.de/wmtencoder/antenne-live.wma
Bayerischer Rundfunk: http://gffstream-w5b.wm.llnwd.net/gffstream_w5b

Eto

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec '07 - 03:55 »
Thanks guys, but I am still having problems.

Brian, I tried your suggestion but that does not work for me. It appears that XM player is trying to connect with the the file shown as opening in the main gui but then becoming blank again and only the address shown in the right window with a red bar through it.
I suppose you meant pasting the address into the URL field for Open URL in the Open file pop-up?
I am normally using Opera but also FF and IE, so either program would be fine for me.

Dotpitch, following your suggestion I changed in FF the ASX files to XM player and this worked on the Bayerischer Rundfunk: http://gffstream-w5b.wm.llnwd.net/gffstream_w5b - however, it did not work on the other link. Maybe I using the wrong way to tell XM player where to look. I am using open url. though the first link starts with mms.xxx
Btw, how did you find out about the streaming addresses ?
You also mention "if you have the right plug-ins"?  Does that mean I have to download additional plugins for XM player first? Sofar I am using the program as is.

Brian

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec '07 - 09:58 »
Sorry, I don't know what else to suggest, except to make sure that the two plugins (xmp-wma.dll and xmp-ra.dll) are in your XMPlay folder. In the case of the real audio plugin, you also need the codecs installed, as explained in the relevant forum thread and on the support site.

Dotpitch

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec '07 - 10:14 »
...however, it did not work on the other link.
The other link is a .wax, not a .asx, so you'll have to change that one too.
Btw, how did you find out about the streaming addresses ?
Save the asx, wax or ram file and open it with notepad or something similar. ASX/WAX is just like XML (it can have a lot of fields), but it always contains the stream adress:
Quote from: live.asx
<asx>
  <entry>
    <ref href="mms://..." />
  </entry>
</asx>