Author Topic: "Loosing" tag information when changing audio file location  (Read 5793 times)

MARCUSHIRSCH

Hello!  I'm a little new at XMPlay so please be patient with this question.  It seems to me that I "loose" a songs track information if I change the songs file location.  For instance:
1. Song "Main Title" is in on my desktop in a folder called "Trevor Jones"
2. I add this location in XMplay under Playlist->Library
3. I see the file, right click on it, pick Track Info, Click the Override box, and fill in the tags.
4. I then see the tag information in the Track Info and Extended playlist window.
** I now change the folder name to "Trevor" on my desktop**
*1. Xmplay notices the song is gone and it's a "dead" track.  A red line goes through it on the Track Info/Extended playlist window.
*2. I add the new folder "Trevor" in XMPlay under Playlist->Library.
*3. The file now shows up...but the track information is gone.

Why does this happen...and how can I have this not happen?  THis of course is barking up the tree of wanting to use various USB drives to play my music.  If I understand thus far correctly I would loose my tags for any drive that I did not create the tags from?

Dotpitch

On the Library tab of Options and stuff, tick 'Keep tracks with overridden tags'.
Quote from: xmplay.txt
Keep tracks with overridden tags: When a monitored file with overridden tags is deleted, it'll remain in the library if this option is enabled. If the file has been moved, the dead track recovery options (below) can be used to recover it without having to re-enter the overridden tags.
Use the Dead tab to repair the missing entries in the playlist or library. Use 'Automatically check other drives for missing files' if you're using removable media with non-persistent drive letter assignments.
Quote from: xmplay.txt
Automatically check other drives for missing files: When XMPlay encounters a missing file, and this option is enabled, it will look for the file at the same path on the other drives.

MARCUSHIRSCH

I must be not be getting something.  I did exactly what you outline but I still don't get the tag information.  All I did was create another a folder on my desktop call "New Folder" and then put the Trevor Jones folder into that one. I still loose the tag information.  Hmmmm....

Dotpitch

You're right, XMPlay doesn't remember the overridden tags. It does remember the correct date and time the file was originally added to the library, so it recognizes the file, but the tags are reset. I should've tried it before I spoke ::).

MARCUSHIRSCH

;D  That's ok.  So if I get this right, then any change in the file path to an audio file will produce a loss in the overridden tag information.  Is there any way around this? I'm using the override tag option because I'm not sure how else to get my tags.  How do you do it?

Dotpitch

Is there any way around this?
Yes, a bugfix I hope ;).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Oops! Looks like it would only retain the tags if the new location was already in the library/playlist. Here's an update to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe