Author Topic: Old:Winamp Visualisations in XMPlay (0.9.11) (plus album art with auto download)  (Read 126110 times)

Zarggg

That's an issue of Milkdrop itself. It does not support non-ASCII set charcters, IIRC.

Barna

There we go! 0.9.5, almost ready for the big 1.0 :-)

A few minor fixes for some random widely unused Winamp plugins are also covered but not really interesting.

Most of the updates since 0.9 are regarding the cover feature and cover downloading.

As mentioned, the plugin now integrates its own cover downloader, Amazon Cover Downloader is not needed anymore.

With this come a few new features like no temp files needed if the covers aren't stored anyway and the download of multiple covers.
If saving of covers is enabled, the user can select a different cover after downloading and chose 'Save selected downloaded cover' from the menu to keep (or overwrite an old) one.
Also (re)downloading can be done anytime by selecting 'Download now' in the menu to recheck covers or to select another one to save on disk.

Saving for covers coming from network streams or songs stored in archive files is now available if a default save directory is enabled for the downloaded covers (this also adds the new menu option 'auto save stream/archive').

Reading of cover images stored inside an archive file is also supported (thanks to XMPlay API).

Download: http://www.nukular.ch/winamp_svp_0.9.5.zip

mmm, I think there is another litlle thingie I can ask for: the ability to display cover(s) when playing files frome an archive (7z,zip,...); I mean, if the cover(s) is/are in the archive file.
As mentioned, should work now.
I only tried it with one archive and type of archive (ZIP), so I'm looking forward to your test report :-)

Another thing I noticed is that if the title contains utf8 stuff (japanes characters, for example) it's show on milkdrop as a bunch of ?. Is it possible to fix this or it's an issue with milkdrop itself?
Unfortunately Zarggg is correct.
This can be worked around on newer Microsoft OSes (since XP) by setting another locale. This can be done either globally (i.e. selecting Japanese as the default locale for applications which don't support Unicode in region/language settings) or for one process (xmplay.exe for use with the plugin). You need a special tool to change the locale for a single application called AppLocale which can be downloaded here. I'm running it now and it works quite good, you can see a updated screen shot on the first page.

piovrauz

Dang! milkdrop U .... I'll give a try with apploc, but I don't like it much...
The nice other thing: archive image loading, all working! :)

Barna

Glad it works like you expected :-)

Yeah AppLocale isn't the nicest solution... There have been patches to make the warning message that appears every time you start something with AppLoc go away (link) - but thats not much better.
Well Nullsoft has been fixing their Unicode issues in the last few years, maybe we get a compatible MilkDrop until 2010 or so :-)

amit

Barna , Do you remember the problem I described regarding opening network files while ACD downloding? Now the problem re-appeared with the internal download algorithm. The cover downloading seems to conflict with opening (local only?) network files  causing them both to halt .

Barna

whoops, it wasn't actually the cover downloader this time, but the reading of covers inside ID3 tags.
While starting to use XMPlay API to read inside archives I also changed from opening files with the file system function to XMPlay's file reading (which not only can read local files but also network files). Which resulted in some kind of dead lock while the song was changing as there were two threads in XMPlay trying to open the network file at the same time (XMPlay to play, and my plugin to check if there's an ID3 tag with cover inside).
Maybe I could get streamed ID3 covers to work with better timing, but for now I just disabled it completely. Try 0.9.6:

Download: http://www.nukular.ch/winamp_svp_0.9.6.zip

amit

Hello Barna, Thanks for the fix.
Now - whenever a cover has already been downloaded the plugin asks if to replace it (download again). Can you change this behavior ? Isn't it possible to skip download process if a cover is already found in one of the search paths ( tag , track path, default path etc') ?

Barna

Ah great I'm an idiot... I didn't only skip loading from ID3 on network streams but loading of covers altogether.
Well try updated 0.9.6 (yeah still 0.9.6, too embarassing to note this in a new release) :-)

Download: http://www.nukular.ch/winamp_svp_0.9.6.zip

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
While starting to use XMPlay API to read inside archives I also changed from opening files with the file system function to XMPlay's file reading (which not only can read local files but also network files). Which resulted in some kind of dead lock while the song was changing as there were two threads in XMPlay trying to open the network file at the same time (XMPlay to play, and my plugin to check if there's an ID3 tag with cover inside).
Maybe I could get streamed ID3 covers to work with better timing, but for now I just disabled it completely.

Perhaps you could wait for the file to be opened by XMPlay, and check the "Message" info text for the "ID3v2:" header; if that's present, you could then proceed to download and inspect the tags? :)

Barna

hmm, that does work but it somehow doesn't feel that wise to open a second HTTP connection just to check for an ID3 embedded cover (as it is not that widely used anyway it seems). If I could get the XMPFILE (or a pointer to the memory) of the current streaming song on the other hand :-)

Peekie

I've got a bunch of mp3-files with the covers stored inside them. Simply because my iPod can only show album art when it's inside the mp3.

Is the feature of reading the cover from inside the mp3-file going to be available again?

Barna

It is still available like it was before... Covers inside MP3 songs (or theoretically other files with ID3v2 headers) loaded from a local file are still being displayed. Only for streamed files (from http or ftp) the cover feature is limited.

Peekie

That's weird. I've got the most recent version (0.9.6) loaded and it always displays the Downloading message when a new song starts to play. The picture stored in the mp3 isn't displayed. When I deselect the option to autodownload the cover, it displays the No Album Cover picture.
While in an old version (0.6) the stored cover is displayed.

Barna

0.9.6 doesn't seem to be a lucky release... so let's try with 0.9.7 :-)
ID3 cover loading may work again :-)

Download: http://www.nukular.ch/winamp_svp_0.9.7.zip

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
hmm, that does work but it somehow doesn't feel that wise to open a second HTTP connection just to check for an ID3 embedded cover (as it is not that widely used anyway it seems). If I could get the XMPFILE (or a pointer to the memory) of the current streaming song on the other hand :-)

That would be a little more efficient, but it could also result in problems, eg. if XMPlay unloads the file while you're accessing the memory. Swings and roundabouts :)

I think it should be fine to just re-open the file; you only need to download the ID3v2 tag, so it shouldn't use up too much extra resources.

Peekie

0.9.7 is working fine with covers in ID3-tags. See the picture below.
Thanks for the quick fix!

dypsis

I just noticed this plugin. I will test it out later.  :)

dypsis

I couldn't get this to work.

I fail at the last step selecting a Winamp Plugin file.

Do I need Winamp installed?

Barna

Well you need at least a Winamp plugin. Some of them (newest MilkDrop, AVS) are packaged withing the main Winamp installation and others come with their own installer requiring to be installed into a directory named "Winamp" or may even require a Winamp installation of some kind.

If you have a plugin file (usually named vis_<something>.dll) make sure you have all required data files/directories and dll dependencies together in one place. For instance MilkDrop2 (vis_milk2.dll) requires nscrt.dll (from the Winamp installation, found in Winamp directory) and its data directory with all presets (found under \Plugins\Milkdrop2 in a Winamp installation).

(Edit: Oh, but of course the cover album art viewing functionality itself doesn't need a Winamp plugin.)
« Last Edit: 18 Apr '08 - 08:52 by Barna »

dypsis

I am only looking for the cover art functionality.

But step 4 is my problem. It cannot find anything.

4. Choose "Load Plugin..." and select a winamp plugin file.

Dotpitch

The title of this thread explains the functionality of this plugin very well: Winamp Visualisations in XMPlay (0.9.7) (plus album art with auto download). If you want the cover features, you don't have to load a Winamp visual plugin. Tick both 'Show album art' and 'Auto cover download/Enable', and it should work :).

dypsis

The title of this thread explains the functionality of this plugin very well: Winamp Visualisations in XMPlay (0.9.7) (plus album art with auto download). If you want the cover features, you don't have to load a Winamp visual plugin. Tick both 'Show album art' and 'Auto cover download/Enable', and it should work :).
Yes, I know the title explains its functionality. That is why I tried it.

But still no luck on step 4. I just get "No Album Cover" displayed even though I have albums covers in my tags.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr '08 - 04:21 by dypsis »

Y@nekŪ

Yes, I know the title explains its functionality. That is why I tried it.

But still no luck on step 4. I just get "No Album Cover" displayed even though I have albums covers in my tags.

I think that alternative, default image (user preferred) is better then text "No Album Cover".

Barna

Support for covers in tags is still quite basic.
Only plain, non encrypted images in JPEG or PNG format in ID3v2 tags are supported now. Covers in other type of tags are not supported at all (like images stored in the text only Vorbis Comment tags). Other image formats (GIF for instance would be allowed in ID3 tags) are not supported.
I only added support for files I had lying around so I didn't spend time to do all kinds of formats and encryption and stuff which no one ends up using in the real world anyway.
Means, please post or upload a sample track somewhere so I can look into adding support for it.

dypsis

Support for covers in tags is still quite basic.
Only plain, non encrypted images in JPEG or PNG format in ID3v2 tags are supported now.
That is what I have used for my tags.