Author Topic: 'Dirty' Software: Why must XMPlay leave cra* behind in the registry?  (Read 3626 times)

tongub

Hello there,

I really really love software that does not mess up my PC. Things that just run, do not depend on a ton of things and especially do not use the registry. It is obsolet, old and slows everything down.

If a programm does, then it should at least clean behind itself.

But since XMPlay does not need to be installed, it should not use the registry, at least I thought so. But I found out it does... and ofcourse the cra* is left behind when oyu delete it. Could you at least support an option to save the settings in a local .ini file or in the users folder?

Honestly, I love XMPlay, but this really gives huge minus points from my side.

Tsorovan

Hmm? The only things saved in the registry are file associations (unless some third-party plugins you use do it), and they can be removed prior to "uninstallation" by unchecking everything in the Options and stuff -> Integration section.

If you want XMPlay to support per-user settings, just check Options and stuff -> Miscellaneous -> Store per-user config/etc. Apart from file associations, everything is saved in an xmplay.ini file.

Dotpitch

But since XMPlay does not need to be installed, it should not use the registry, at least I thought so. But I found out it does...
XMPlay did use the registry, but all the config was moved to xmplay.ini over two years ago. So, what version are you using?

Auren

He probably noticed some registry changes using sysinternal registry tracking tools... I should assure you, tongub, that those HKLM\System\* queries are normal system calls and they are performed to reach, for example, an audio device or such.

piovrauz

I run xmplay from a usb key at work (so ini and no file association at all), and my sysadmin never complained, and it's a picky one... I'd call XMPlay a clean soft, rather than a dirt one. If all the software would left behind reg entries like XMPlay "does", ppl would have rather clean registry, instead of the messed up XD they have.
« Last Edit: 1 Apr '08 - 08:15 by piovrauz »

Chocobito

Maybe he's taking about the AC3 plugin, this leave a registry with the name HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Un4seen Developments\XMPlay2\ :-\

Y@nekŪ

XMplay is good becouse don't use registry when I want. Registry is stupid and obsolete. Anybody who is not supid - want program usable after system reinstall. If you like clean install TONS of GIGABYTES programs and games everytime after windows crash/ restore for BYTES from registry - congratulations... :-X :-X :-X
« Last Edit: 31 Mar '08 - 21:24 by Y@nekŪ »

r

Maybe he's taking about the AC3 plugin, this leave a registry with the name HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Un4seen Developments\XMPlay2\ :-\
Not any more!

I asked Ian about this a couple of months ago and he fixed it, along with the MPC plugin that also used to write to the registry:
http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=7941.msg54186#msg54186