Author Topic: free audio convertor?  (Read 8790 times)

Alexsource

free audio convertor?
« on: 11 May '08 - 18:34 »
I've bought one of those "el cheapo" made in taiwan mp4 players, and i have some music files in OGG Vorbis and MPC (MusePack / MpegPlus). I've tryed using MediaCoder, but it doesn't always work with mpc files, and it cannot transfer tags, tough it seems to work fine with ogg files.

I've heard the free version of dbpoweramp does NOT encode to mp3, is this true??

Wich program is the best for this? please, suggest either freeware or open source programs only!

raina

Re: free audio convertor?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May '08 - 21:59 »
How about XMPlay? Once, this (not-a-very computer savvy) guy I know needed help converting .ape to .mp3, and I found it faster just setting up XMPlay to do the job than go look for a special app for it.

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 12 May '08 - 14:33 »
I've heard the free version of dbpoweramp does NOT encode to mp3, is this true?
dBpoweramp's Music Converter is freeware. The mp3 encoder they bundle has a 30 days trial. Ofcourse, nothing stops you from using the CLI encoder plugin with LAME ::).

Alexsource

« Reply #3 on: 14 May '08 - 21:30 »
How about XMPlay? Once, this (not-a-very computer savvy) guy I know needed help converting .ape to .mp3, and I found it faster just setting up XMPlay to do the job than go look for a special app for it.

I've had mixed results when I tryed somehting similar in the past.
BUT, I Might try again sometime.

I've heard the free version of dbpoweramp does NOT encode to mp3, is this true?
dBpoweramp's Music Converter is freeware. The mp3 encoder they bundle has a 30 days trial. Ofcourse, nothing stops you from using the CLI encoder plugin with LAME ::).

Thank for the info! It wasn't completely clear to me whether you could somehow use lame with it or the trial encoder was forced, and if the trial encoder came with the free version at all. :P:P:P

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #4 on: 16 May '08 - 00:32 »
Try this.

Alexsource

« Reply #5 on: 19 May '08 - 13:06 »
Super was apparently better with the dodgy files, but i couldn't find the option to transfer the tags.

raina

« Reply #6 on: 19 May '08 - 15:44 »
OT: I'm sure it's great if you say so, but having never heard of this SUPER before, its name and presentation on the website really do a good job of making it look like a big ole trojan horse.

Alexsource

« Reply #7 on: 20 May '08 - 16:04 »
That's actually the reason why I had never downloaded it before, it sounded like malware or a scam, lol.

Sam_Zen

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun '08 - 02:45 »
Yep, I didn't even try it. The term 'super' is smelly enough.

There are two ways of searching for audio-conversion.
1) For a big suite, that can convert 'any' input to 'any' output, or 2) checking the occasion and search for a dedicated conversion.

In the 1st category I would recommend WinLame (open source).
It only covers 4 output formats : MP3 - OGG - WAV - WMA, but has a big collection of input formats, to be found here.

The second one I would recommend is JetAudio Basic (shareware).
It has a seperate audio-converter (Ctrl+2) with quite a list of input and output formats.

If the conversion needs a quick specific conversion, I recommend what I call the 'droppers' (open source).
Properties in common :
Just drop the file on the frame to start conversion, just one output format from a WAV, context-menu for settings, reversed conversion is possible :
OggDrop
FlacDrop
LameDrop
WavPackDrop

Whether a ID3tag of one format is transferred correctly to the new format, is another story.

gigalot

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul '08 - 10:49 »
Exact Audio Copy is my favorite audio converter and ripper. It support many external reference command line encoders.
WWW.Exactaudiocopy.ge

Zarggg

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul '08 - 17:25 »

gigalot

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul '08 - 20:39 »
Thanks, Zargg for help! I was wrong.