Author Topic: BASS for Linux  (Read 205785 times)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: BASS for Linux
« Reply #325 on: 17 Dec '14 - 16:43 »
Good to hear that the update helped. The BASS version currently up on the BASS page is older (2.4.10), but there should be a new release very soon (next few days).

Regarding BASS_AAC, the version on the BASS page is the latest currently available for Linux. There have been some little tweaks/fixes since that release, so there will be a new release in the not too distant future (perhaps next week or early next year).

geekzjj

« Reply #326 on: 19 Dec '14 - 09:51 »
Good to hear that the update helped. The BASS version currently up on the BASS page is older (2.4.10), but there should be a new release very soon (next few days).

Regarding BASS_AAC, the version on the BASS page is the latest currently available for Linux. There have been some little tweaks/fixes since that release, so there will be a new release in the not too distant future (perhaps next week or early next year).

Got it. I am so glad to hear that. ;D

geekzjj

« Reply #327 on: 30 Dec '14 - 12:13 »

Hi,lan. I am coming again. I really love the Bass library, it's very convenient useful for us to develop our multimedia application. Thanks a lot. But I notice that the CPU usage of  pulseaudio is always about 4%, which seems unusual,  although that may not be a big problem. Then I played the same file with mplayer, which didn't have the same problem. I wonder if there are something wrong with the method Bass library uses to play sound. Is there something we could do to avoid this ?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: 30 Dec '14 - 17:43 »
It could be that BASS is using a shorter update period than the other software, ie. it outputs shorter blocks of data more frequently. Here's an update for you to try, which allows the period to be adjusted...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/libbass.zip

It adds the following BASS_SetConfig option to set the device update period in milliseconds...

Code: [Select]
#define BASS_CONFIG_DEV_PERIOD 53

The default is 10ms, so you could try setting it above that. It will be limited to a 3rd of the device buffer length, so you may also want to raise that via BASS_CONFIG_DEV_BUFFER. Changes don't affect already initialized devices, so they need to be set before calling BASS_Init.

A downside to raising the update period is that BASS_ATTRIB_FREQ/PAN/VOL slides (via BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute) will be coarser, ie. each step in the slide will be larger.

geekzjj

« Reply #329 on: 31 Dec '14 - 16:03 »
It could be that BASS is using a shorter update period than the other software, ie. it outputs shorter blocks of data more frequently. Here's an update for you to try, which allows the period to be adjusted...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/libbass.zip

It adds the following BASS_SetConfig option to set the device update period in milliseconds...

Code: [Select]
#define BASS_CONFIG_DEV_PERIOD 53

The default is 10ms, so you could try setting it above that. It will be limited to a 3rd of the device buffer length, so you may also want to raise that via BASS_CONFIG_DEV_BUFFER. Changes don't affect already initialized devices, so they need to be set before calling BASS_Init.

A downside to raising the update period is that BASS_ATTRIB_FREQ/PAN/VOL slides (via BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute) will be coarser, ie. each step in the slide will be larger.
OK! Perfectly it works! I set BASS_CONFIG_DEV_BUFFER to 150 and BASS_CONFIG_DEV_PERIOD to 50 and nearly as good as I want. Thanks.  ;D