Author Topic: XMPlay Library not getting all WAV tag info  (Read 4981 times)

BluesBoy

XMPlay Library not getting all WAV tag info
« on: 27 Jul '08 - 05:37 »
  First off I love XMPlay.  Great job developers!  I am starting to use XMPlay for playing all my music.  Sooo.... I have a bunch of CD's that I ripped using Windows Media Player 11.  I ripped them to .WAV files because I want to "Preserve The Music" in it's fullest format.
  When the songs get ripped there is a bit of information that is stored with each .WAV file.  (See attached Info-Message image below) This informational data can be seen by clicking the Info Window in XMPlay and then the Message button.  It has the following basic information about the track:

IART   Artist
INAM   Name of the track
IPRD    Product - the name of the album
IGNR    Genre
ITOC    ?
ITRK    Track number

Most of this information gets added to the XMPlay Library but not the Track infomation.  What happens when I look up an album in the XMPlay Library I can see all the songs from the album and can highlight them and create a playlist but the songs play in alphabetical order rather than in track list order.
  As an experiment I ripped one album using WMP 11 into .WMA format and I see that XMPlay does pick up all the track info including the track number and for that one album in my library the songs are sorted by track number within the album.
  I don't know what is involved in being able to pick up the ITRK info from .WAV files but if you could do that then it seems like these .WAV files could be sorted by track number within an album just like with other formats.
  Thanks for your consideration in making this change to the wonderful music player you have created.

Sincerely,
  BluesBoy

Tsorovan

Re: XMPlay Library not getting all WAV tag info
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul '08 - 12:35 »
Here's a suggestion: use a lossless codec like FLAC. That way you'll get the exact same quality as WAV, but at approx. half the size. And tags (the "informational data" you speak of) will be more universally understood by different players and a bit more flexible.

BluesBoy

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul '08 - 06:50 »
Tsorovan,
  Thanks for the suggestion to use FLAC.  I have lots of music in FLAC and SHN and APE formats and I am very familiar with using these lossless formats.
  I have been pondering which way to go with my commercial, purchased CD's.  I have quite a few CD's and I have looked at a lot of programs for ripping them, cataloging them, and being able to easily play the ripped music files.  I have ripped a couple of hundred CD's using WMP 11.  It's quick it's easy and it creates among other formats .WAV files which for PC's anyway, is THE standard audio format.
  I am thinking long term.  I mean yes FLAC and APE and some other lossless formats are in vogue now.  Just a few years ago SHN was the lossless compression format most widely used.  I am not sure in the future what will become popular but being as .WAV format is the standard I figured I couldn't go wrong with it and would have files that would be able to be read by pretty much every audio player and .WAV editor program.  Storage keeps getting cheaper and cheaper I so I thought I would stick with the basic, most widely used standard for pure, uncompressed music .WAV files.
  I guess what I am hoping for is to have my uncompressed cake and be able to enjoy it too.  I love XMPlay's quickness, quality of playback, ability to handle a wide variety of music formats and it's worderful portability.  The data I desire to access is in the .WAV files WMP 11 is creating.  XMPlay recognizes this data as evidenced by the contents of the XMPlay Information-->Message screen. ( see screen shots included with previous post.)
  I'm just hoping to have that track information contained in the .WAV files passed on to and incorporated into the XMPlay Library the same way that the other information from the .WAV files: Artist, Track Name, Album Name, Genre, is already being captured and used.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul '08 - 13:37 »
I wasn't aware of the "ITRK" entry's existence. Here's an update that should look for it...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Zarggg

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul '08 - 17:32 »
If you're thinking long-term, you should definitely use FLAC. Right now, it's the most-supported (in Windows, anyway) lossless format. You can always transcode FLAC to another lossless format in the future, but I don't think lossless compression is going to get much better than it already is in the near future.

There are other formats that give higher compression rates (TAK, TTA, Ape, WavPak), but they're much slower to encode/decode and don't have the same player/OS support that FLAC does. Also, FLAC is open-source and patent-free. :) Additionally, FLAC uses Vorbis Comments, which can be used to tag just about anything you want in a user-readable way.

r

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul '08 - 20:25 »
I like WavPack better... there's a small trade-off in encoding speed, but it offers higher compression.

FYI, here's a table of lossless formats that might help:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison

raina

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul '08 - 23:40 »
I remember reading FLAC has the widest support in hardware players, car stereos and such which might help it become the dominant lossless audio format.

BluesBoy

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul '08 - 08:54 »
I wasn't aware of the "ITRK" entry's existence. Here's an update that should look for it...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Ian,
  Thank you very, very, very much.  The version update to XMPlay you did works GREAT!.  When I first tried it I ran the new version you created and I kept it separate from my old installation.  So, I had to tell it where my all my music was by going into Options and telling it where to look.  It scanned the folder I have setup on my external drive and brought all the music, With Track Numbers, into the library.
  There was a problem at first. The Library was sorted by Track number within each Album except, for albums that had multiple artists on it.  They were sorted in order of Artist then Track within the Album. This was true only for the .Wav files ( I ripped an album to .WMA files to test things and they were all sorted correctly by Track number within Album even when it had multiple artists.)
    But, I stumbled upon a solution. All I had to do was sort the Library by Track first and then by Album.  This brought up all the songs in every Album in proper track order.  I found out this works for I think all of the columns in the Library.  If you want to find out the longest Jimi Hendrix song in your Library just click on the column heading for Length and then the column heading for Artist.  All your Jimi Hendrix songs will be listed in order of Length.  If you sort by Artist first and then by Title (song title) you can see and quickly choose and listen to all the different versions of a song done by different artists.
  I didn't see this info about sorting the Library in the Beginer's Guide and I don't know if it is documented anywhere else for users to read.  If not I think it should be. I love the easy, elegant way it gives power and flexibility to using the Library more fully.
  Anyway Ian, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for enhancing XMPlay to pick up the Track information from .WAV files and to incorporate that Track info into the Library.  And you did it so quickly!
  I wanted to also thank you for version 3.4.2.56 which you did a few days ago.  As the user 5K reported, "When the drive is not available all the tracks are marked missing - as soon as the drive is accessible the tracks are shown normally."  That's how it is working for me too since I have my music stored on an external drive, and now with version 3.4.2.57 the track info from .WAV files is added to the Library.  XMPlay is working beautifully for me.

Thanks again,
    -BluesBoy

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul '08 - 16:29 »
Jolly good :)

BluesBoy

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul '08 - 02:53 »
Jolly good :)

Yes it is Jolly good!