Author Topic: Compact soundfont set  (Read 49739 times)

RedBaron

Re: Compact soundfont set
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jan '10 - 17:34 »
Ok, I was a bit vague, but I meant that I wanted it to sound exactly as it sounds in the game. And even the windows one makes it sound quite different from the game music. Does anyone know of such a soundfont? Or does anyone have the soundfont used for the doom 2 game?

saga

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jan '10 - 19:55 »
You are still very vague because, nothing can sound "exactly" like Doom 2 - since Doom 2 already offers support for various sound devices - For example, the probably most common option would be the OPL chip (SoundBlaster / AdLib cards), which you cannot emulate with MIDI soundfonts. You'd have to get hold of the AdLib tunes (dunno if you can only get .mid versions, though) and play them with some plugin like AdPlug. And concerning Doom's MIDI output, you're completely lost because it can send MIDI to any MIDI-capable device, meaning that there is no defined "default" soundfont.

Zarggg

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan '10 - 16:18 »
DOOM II did not use any soundfonts at all. As saga said, it simply provided instructions in the form of OPL/MIDI commands which were translated by your soundcard. How the game's music sounded depended on the soundfont used by your soundcard.

Regarding "sounds best", I actually use some pretty large high-quality soundfonts, primarily SGM. When I want to emulate how MIDIs sounded "back then", I use an SC-55 soundfont. If you don't have it, I can upload it when I get home.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan '10 - 16:21 by Zarggg »

saga

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan '10 - 17:00 »
Zargg: That would be appreciated. :)

Rich Nagel

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan '10 - 18:18 »
I tried it but prefer the windows 7 soundfont

What is the "Windows 7" SoundFont? Just a-wondering...

saga

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan '10 - 18:19 »
well, probably he means the same old Roland soundfont from 1993...

Zarggg

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan '10 - 22:35 »
Roland SC-55 v1.1.sf2: http://www.mediafire.com/?nundyjjtcnm

This is actually probably the most "authentic" MIDI sound you can get, as the SoundCanvas was the first sound module to use General MIDI when it became a standard, and this specific sound was used by composers when creating MIDIs in the 90s

saga

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jan '10 - 06:31 »
Thanks!

Rich Nagel

« Reply #33 on: 19 Jan '10 - 08:20 »
well, probably he means the same old Roland soundfont from 1993...

Yeah, that was I was thinking, the old "GM.dls".

RedBaron

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan '10 - 19:20 »
Thanks,
I cant download the file probably because of my connection. Will post again if I have the same problem from another connection.

Rich Nagel

« Reply #35 on: 14 Mar '10 - 19:10 »
Folks,

This is quite OT, but nontheless related (to the previously mentioned "1MGM.sf2" soundfont). To save some typing, two messages that I posted over at CLI's messages forums (the first message from eons ago, and the second just today):

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
CT1MGM.ROM?

A random and unimportant (yet curious) question:

I have an SBLive! Value (and I'm assuming the following is also true for other similar CLI soun cards), and found this file on my hard drive:

C:\Windows\System32\CT1MGM.ROM

It appears to be referenced by:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\CTSFM2k.sys

Now, what exactly is this file for? After haveing a looksie at it in my trusty DOS hex editor, it appears to be an encrypted and compressed version of E-mu's "1MGM.sf2" SoundFont, which is a SoundFont version of the stock ROM on a standard AWE32 or AWE64 sound card ("1MGM.sf2" is included with E-mu's old "SoundFont Librarian" bank manager utility).

Since the SBLive!/Audigy/etc... line of sound cards have no onboard ROM samples, and since this file doesn't appear to be used during any mode of MIDI synthesis, what is the file for (and why is it referenced by "CTSFM2k.sys")?

Anybody know ('inquiring minds wanna know' <G>)? :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
70+ thread views and no answers? Well, I finally figured out today on my own :)

It appears that this is indeed a ROM dump of the onboard AWE32/64 samples. FYI, the file is used whenever you load in a soundfont (usually the older "SBK" format) as your main synth bank that uses some of the older AWE32/64 ROM samples; and since the SBLive! doesn't have an onboard ROM, any samples that are usually loaded from the AWE's ROM are loaded in from this file.

Mystery solved :)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Heh <G> :)
« Last Edit: 14 Mar '10 - 19:19 by Rich Nagel »

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #36 on: 15 Mar '10 - 08:25 »
I use PC51d.sf2 soundfont. It is 56mb and sound very good particularly on drums 8)

Simple Simon

« Reply #37 on: 5 Apr '11 - 16:46 »
Forgive my tardiness - I appear to be extremely late for this party. I'll try to make up for it by saying too much...

If absolute compactness is priority, then there's no avoiding the 1MB Creative SYNTHGMS.SF2.
There seem to be several ripped copies floating around, but you can get an original out of the Creative "SoundFont Enabler".

For something a little better, I go with "GS sound set (16 bit).SF2" (~3MB), which I prefer overall to the 4MB Creative offering.
"GS sound set (16 bit).SF2" sounds to me like a slightly-improved version of Scc1t2.sf2, which in turn is a slightly improved version of Scc1.sf2, which I assume comes from a Roland SCC-1.
I find all three to be improvements over the Roland GM_1.sf2.

Pushing the boat out further, I really rate Ultimate.sf2 (~8MB). It is the smallest soundfount I have found that provides me with a "big" (-ish) sound, and is about as large as I would go and still consider to be "compact". I definitely prefer it to the 8MB Creative offering(s), and I find I would need something far, far larger to sound better overall.

But I really think the biggest development in compact soundfonts is XMPlay's ability to now play SF2Pack soundfonts, which really shifts the goalposts. I tried the maximum compression (128kbps WavPack) on ChoriumRevA, and it came out at under 6MB! That surely puts it squarely into "compact" territory. OK, so it's a bit of a cheat, but that's exactly what SF2Pack is for...
Using the same compression, SYNTHGMS.SF2, GS sound set (16 bit).SF2, and Ultimate.sf2 come out at around 240kB, 780kB and 1.7MB. Not bad!
I personally find 128kbps WavPack compression perfectly acceptable for MIDI listening, but then I'm no music-techie or composer.

winner

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jul '11 - 06:48 »
My favorite soundfont at 8MB or less is sYnerGi!

From the readme.txt file:

sYnerGi 8Mb - By Darrell Marjoram
---------------------------------

"I powerful universal GM soundfont for SoundBlaster LIVE and AWE32/64 with 8Mb of sample memory.

Most samples are either from Roland, Korg or EMU equipment such as N1, D110, SC55, SC88Pro, Proteus 2000 etc.

This Soundfont also contains a few instruments in Bank 1 which allow you to have variatons on the usual GM instruments.

Comments to darrellm@softhome.net, or by the Message Panel on my website.

* Also available is sYnerGi 48Mb and sYnergi 512Kb, downloadable from my website."