Author Topic: Album and Cover Art Vis Plugin - with auto download (xmp-coverart rev.7)  (Read 175082 times)

Matt K.

Barna:

This is a great add-on for XMPlay, which will be my future replacement for WinAmp... Thanks for all the hard work!

I just have one question... Is there a way to access the settings for this for those who are unlucky enough to have only two mouse buttons? I had seen requests for this, but never saw any acknowledgement of wether or not there was a way around having to "middle click" to get the settings menu...

Dotpitch

Is there a way to access the settings for this for those who are unlucky enough to have only two mouse buttons?
No, it's still on the request list, so you're stuck with the middle mouse button for now. You could install AutoHotkey with a script like Mouse Wheel Emulator.

Matt K.

Bernard:

I have noticed a bug...

It involves the "Select Cover" configuration menu, Not sure exactly how to reproduce it, but basically after playing a second MP3 the menu shows several invalid entries which are ignored by the vis... Disabling and re-enabling the vis will correct it until another track is selected...

I also have a feature request...

Could you make it so certain covers (IE: "Cover (Front) "ID3)") can be unselected from future use or even better so the selection order is configurable?

Thanks, this really is a must have vis...

Matt K.

Matt K.

Barna:

Geez! Sorry, I just realised I goofed on your name in the previous reply :-[...

Waiting to hear back on this with baited breath...

Matt K.

saga

Geez! Sorry, I just realised I goofed on your name in the previous reply :-[...
Too much Day of the Tentacle? ;D

Matt K.

HELP!!!

I'm still having a buggy coverart menu after a track change...

and...

Now XMPlay crashes when it's downloading coverart! ???

I'm currently running XMPlay 3.6 Portable (from PortableApps.com download) XMP WAVIS v5, and XMP Cover Art Vis v6 under Win XP SP3

Jimmy Neutron

I'm currently running XMPlay 3.6 Portable (from PortableApps.com download) XMP WAVIS v5, and XMP Cover Art Vis v6 under Win XP SP3

Why are you using the PortableApps.com version?  XMPlay does not write to the registry and leaves no traces behind.  The PortableApps.com version only puts XMPlay into their prescribed directory structure and provides automatic integration into their menu.  There is no other advantage to using the PortableApps.com version.

However, if you use the regular version, you can upgrade to the latest version (enabling new features and also avoiding possible bugs).  Futher, you will avoid the directory structure manipulations that could be contributing to your issues with downloading/installing cover art.  You can put XMPlay into their menu system with little to no effort. 

If you don't know how to add non-PortableApps.com programs to the menu, they have a brief how-to on their site.  Either that, or I can help.

I don't use cover art, so I can't help you with that.

Dotpitch

Now XMPlay crashes when it's downloading coverart!
Trying it now, it crashes here as well. Switch off 'Use Google Images' and it should be fine. Apparently Google changed the results page and the parser is crashing on it.

Matt K.

Switch off 'Use Google Images' and it should be fine. Apparently Google changed the results page and the parser is crashing on it.

You're right, I turned off Google images and that seems to have kept it from crashing...

Thanks Dotpitch!

How about an update that'll fix the Google images Barna?

(And while we're at it have you thought about my other post that didn't seem to get any constructive responses?)

Barna:

I have noticed a bug...

It involves the "Select Cover" configuration menu, Not sure exactly how to reproduce it, but basically after playing a second MP3 the menu shows several invalid entries which are ignored by the vis... Disabling and re-enabling the vis will correct it until another track is selected...

I also have a feature request...

Could you make it so certain covers (IE: "Cover (Front) "ID3)") can be unselected from future use or even better so the selection order is configurable?

Thanks, this really is a must have vis...

Matt K.

Matt K.

Hey...

As reported a while back, the "Use Google Images" now crashes the plugin (and the rest of XMPlay in the process!) and needs to be disabled in order to use the "Download Covers" option. I also have recently discovered that Amazon is no longer returning covers either... (If you check the log, it shows an error that states "Your request is missing required parameters. Required parameters include AssociateTag.")

I think it's about time for an updated version of the plugin... (How about it, B?)

Still a big fan of XMPlay and the CoverArt vis...
(I just don't like seeing outdated code cripple otherwise wonderful programming!)

Matt K.

Chinese Sausage

If the author decides to update this plugin, I suggest that he adds www.albumartexchange.com as an additional image search option. There are hundreds of high quality album images there. :)
« Last Edit: 26 Apr '12 - 23:37 by Chinese Sausage »

Matt K.

If the author decides to update this plugin, I suggest that he adds www.albumartexchange.com as an additional image search option. There are hundreds of high quality album images there. :)

Although I also make extensive use of the covers at http://www.albumartexchange.com, I think it would probably not work because of the "bot check" screens (The ones that get you to put in a random word once in a while) that site uses...

Matt K.

Matt K.

Just curious... What language(s) is this plugin written in?

(I once studied programming in college.)

If I get enough energy and annoyed enough with my issues, I might (maybe) possibly even take a crack at updating it myself... (If I can make enough sense of it and get my head into programmer mode, and find the time to muck with the code, assuming that the author would grant access to the plugin code.) of course, I'd freely share the updated versions here for the benefit of all that are interested.

Matt K.

Matt K.

Ok, I've posted enough times that I (finally) registered...

Zarggg

The owner/webmaster of Album Art Exchange has specifically stated that he does not want his website used in auto-downloading applications such as this plugin.

Matt K.

Ok, I'm the kind of person that feels that good things need support... (My joining  & participating in this forum is one way of showing my support.) I'd say that Barna needs to know how great this visual is in order to garner further development & updates.

So I ask all those reading this...
Am I the only one here who cares? (Show of hands please?)

I also ask Barna specifically: What would it take to get some more of your valuable time towards the above? Donations? Help?

I'm sure there are many eyes on this thread which will be willing to put forth whatever is required...

Dotpitch

I certainly wouldn't mind an update :).

dbz

Hopefully I'm posting this in the most appropriate place. I'm not sure if Barna's still around or what, but here goes anyway....

First off, this vis plugin is a must have for sure. Secondly, as great as it is, there's one thing I don't like about it - the "No Album Cover" image. I'm no graphic artist myself, but come on! I think even I could have done a better job than that. The image I wish was there, is a large picture of the xmplay icon I've seen floating around here. That's kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

So if you're listening Barna, I beg you to please help me out here. And thanks for such a useful, and practical plugin.

dbz

I'm not one to encourage hacking, but since Barna's dropped off the radar for quite some time now - there really doesn't seem to be any other viable option. So here's what I'm proposing. If you're interested PSXGamerPro1, would you be up to trying to hack the coverart vis to display a different image? I know it's kinda of a stupid question since you seem to want to hack whatever you can :P If it can be done, I think not only myself, but a number of other people would like to be able to change the image to something more appealing. If anyone is against this idea, then I'll forget I ever mentioned it.

saga

He only "hacks" things that can be modified with a Windows resource editor. If the default cover is stored in one of the many other ways that can be used to store arbitrary data in an executable, he's out of luck. :P

dbz

Well are there any real hackers then?  ;D

piovrauz

Before trying to hack it, why not trying to contact Barna?
Maybe he can just make that "Nothing thing" a custom image...
If his mail address is not public, the forum admin (Ian?) may privately ask him about it.
I tried going on the web address reported in the plugin, but the last post on the forum was in 2006.
Oh, as far as plain easy moddable resources go, the plugin seems to be not packed, and no image is avail to be changed. So yes, we need something better than a resource hacker ;)
But first we should try to contact him, it's not long he was here after all,  just late 2009!

Dotpitch

Quote from: Illustrated Manual
The default cover image is cover.jpg (or cover.png) stored in the same folder as xmp-coverart.svp. The default downloading image is download.jpg (or download.png) in that same folder. (link)
I guess you should just throw in your own cover.jpg. Does that work?

dbz

I just want to point out that I am aware you can replace the "No cover art" by using an image in the folder. That's the quick and easy solution, as long as you don't mind having to copy this same image over and over again into all your music folders.

Dotpitch

You should put it in the same folder as xmp-coverart.svp, not in your music folders. However, it doesn't appear to work, because the plugin is looking for 'C:\Program Files (x86)\XMPlay\vis/cover.jpg'. I guess we're going to need Barna anyway.