Author Topic: "now playing" plugin that will work with Opera's built-in IRC client?  (Read 5830 times)

operauser

I haven't seen that any such thing exists, for any player.  There was a question about a plugin for WA in Opera's forums but last I checked, there was no answer.

I've had ppl tell me to dl mIRC and use that.  Well, if I wanted to do that I'd have done it, right?  ;D  I don't want to have to dl a whole 'nother program just for that.

Is this at all possible?  I'm not a coder so I have no idea.  I'm using Opera 9.63 on XP SP3.

Dotpitch

Opera is a browser, so the IRC-client built into it is pretty basic. I don't think it has the scripting capabilities to achieve this (Wikipedia says it doesn't). If you really want it, you'll have to convince the Opera developers.

operauser

Opera is a browser, so the IRC-client built into it is pretty basic. I don't think it has the scripting capabilities to achieve this (Wikipedia says it doesn't). If you really want it, you'll have to convince the Opera developers.
I think we both know the likelihood of that.  ;D

I figured for the reason that yes Opera is a browser this wouldn't really be feasible but I figured also that it wouldn't hurt to ask on this end.

I know Opera allows user Javascripts to be enabled, but I would guess that this is not something that can be worked out through Javascript?  AGain, as I don't have the coding knowledge I have to ask...forgive me my ignorance.

Dotpitch

I know Opera allows user Javascripts to be enabled, but I would guess that this is not something that can be worked out through Javascript?  AGain, as I don't have the coding knowledge I have to ask...forgive me my ignorance.
AFAIK, those user Javascripts are for browsing websites only, not for use with IRC. And I doubt those scripts would be allowed to talk with an external application like XMPlay. So I'm afraid there's not much that can be done about it :-\.

saga

I think we both know the likelihood of that.
Why that? If people support your request, there's a chance that it will be built into Opera. Opera devs are also just humans, and even know one of them (dunno if he's involved into coding there, though).

operauser

saga, I say that because from what I can tell in Opera's forums, there does not seem to be much interest by the developers in doing more with the IRC client and quite a few users seem to complain when other users start making such requests, which IMO is ridiculous; if you don't like a feature just don't use it rather than want it taken away from those who like it. 

Anyway, I meant no offense to any developers personally.

Also, thank you for your explanations Dotpitch.