Author Topic: BASS in a game  (Read 5035 times)

2Discoloda2

BASS in a game
« on: 13 Jun '02 - 19:54 »
im trying to get BASS to work with quake2. and it all works until i wanted to make it 3D.. i think the units in Quake2 are too small!!! i have tried messing with BASS_Set3DFactors alot and i just cant get it to play the sound all the way. it goes *blip* and then disapears.  >:( dont make me get FMOD hehe ;).

qrad3 program seems to make 128 units = 1 foot. but thats all i know! i dont know where togo from there :-/

thanks for BASS ;D

btw i forgot my password to this forum

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: BASS in a game
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun '02 - 12:34 »
A channel's "minimum distance" determines how quickly the sound fades away with distance. Here's a good example ripped from the DirectX documentation :)

The volume is at full within the "minimum distance", and then halves as the distance is doubled from there.

The "maximum distance" can be used to stop the sound totally disappearing - the volume stops decreasing when it goes beyond the "maximum distance".

2Discoloda2

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun '02 - 12:22 »
that makes sence.. now how about fixing this problem: when i look  North and shoot a rocket i can hear sound in front of me. if i look East and fire its to the right of me and if i look South its in front of me and to the West makes it left of me. but it should allways be in front of me. does quake2 use a difrent angle system? could you explane how to make a BASS angle from euler angles (maybe bad spelling). thanks

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun '02 - 18:09 »
Are you using BASS_Set3DPosition to set the listener's orientation? The "front" vector is the direction the listener's nose is pointing, and the "top" vector is the direction the top of the listener's head is pointing. Of course, the "front" and "top" vectors should be at right-angles to eachother.

The default orientation is front:x=0,y=0,z=1 top:x=0,y=1,z=0. So, your "east", for example, would be front:x=1,y=0,z=0 top:x=0,y=1,z=0. The "top" remains pointing up, but the "front" is now pointing right.