Author Topic: BASS & Addons for Windows ARM64  (Read 659 times)

Jack Boswell

BASS & Addons for Windows ARM64
« on: 23 Jul '21 - 12:40 »
Hey there,
Can I request BASS For Windows ARM64 built?
I did find a (dated) build here: https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=18316.0 and while it does work, there doesn't seem to be a bass_fx provided for me to work with as well.
I have a Surface Pro X, so if you need testing done I can help out.
It's worth noting I did try the UWP builds, but they don't seem to function at all in .NET 5 projects.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: BASS & Addons for Windows ARM64
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul '21 - 16:19 »
I don't think there is currently an ARM64 Win32 version of BASS_FX available, but are you sure you can't use the UWP version? I'm not a .Net user myself and I'm unfamiliar with the .NET 5 issue you mention, but I did find this:

https://github.com/microsoft/WindowsAppSDK/issues/105

If you try what's suggested there, does it work for you?

Jack Boswell

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul '21 - 02:52 »
Unfortunately, it's not practical to turn this project into a UWP app (I believe UWP apps can only run on Windows, correct?). I'm working on bringing win-arm64 support to osu!lazer, which seems to heavily depend on bass & bass fx.
I can confirm it is an issue loading UWP DLLs in the project. I ran tests on win-x64 with the current binaries (which passed), then replaced them with UWP binaries for the same architecture, and the tests failed to start due to DLL load errors.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul '21 - 12:54 »
OK. Here's an ARM64 BASS_FX build for you to try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass_fx-arm64.zip

boswelja

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul '21 - 00:25 »
Thanks! IT looks like it's loading, and some basic tests are passing so far. I'll report back if I find any issues.

boswelja

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug '21 - 10:46 »
Can we get an up to date BASS & BASSmix for Win32-ARM64 too? We've just made the move to BASSmix and there doesn't appear to be any versions built for Windows ARM64.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug '21 - 14:23 »
Here are the latest BASS and BASSmix builds for you to try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass24-arm64.zip

boswelja

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug '21 - 07:13 »
Alright, so I got a chance to test with some decent headphones and there's definitely some audio playback issues. I didn't notice before since the speakers on the Surface Pro X aren't exactly great to begin with.
I've got a link to some sample recordings here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aofd-xCrxwuMgq5nHtawpjcS3BeKRA?e=P31rcP
I believe I can rule out an issue with BASSMix, since I can roll back to a revision before it was added and the issue is still present.
I'm also running Windows 11, but if that was the problem I'd expect the same audio issues to be present on my x64 desktop (which is on the same build as the Pro X).
What I can't rule out is an issue with FFMPEG, so if you think the issue could be there I can try investigate further.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug '21 - 17:19 »
Do you have any DSP/FX (including BASS_FX stuff) enabled? If so, please try disabling all of that (ie. just call BASS_StreamCreateFile and BASS_ChannelPlay) and see if the noise is still present then. If that prevents it then you can try reintroducing the DSP/FX one at a time to find the culprit.

boswelja

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug '21 - 09:21 »
We've got BASS_FX added to the project, but as far as I'm aware the test chips I took have no FX loaded (I'm not familiar with the codebase so I'm not 100% sure). I can probably throw together a small test project to isolate BASS if you'd like?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug '21 - 12:40 »
Yes, please try to reproduce the problem only using BASS without any add-ons or DSP/FX. You could perhaps use one of the examples included in the Win32 BASS package to do that.

boswelja

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug '21 - 07:34 »
Unfortunately since the samples are compiled with msbuild, I can't build from my Surface Pro X (msbuild doesn't support win-arm64 hosts). I ended up creating an empty .NET 5 project and loading the same sample.
The issue is still present, which suggests the issue is with BASS itself, rather than any FX loaded.
If you need, there's a recording here:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aofd-xCrxwuMgq5r77lee5itfRwlfg?e=nYwsNU
Please let me know if you need anything else.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug '21 - 16:42 »
OK. To narrow down where the problem is, please try disabling sinc interpolation, like this:

Code: [Select]
BASS_ChannelSetAttribute(stream, BASS_ATTRIB_SRC, 0);

Does the problem still happen after that?

boswelja

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug '21 - 06:04 »
Yep, adding that line does seem to fix the audio quality!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug '21 - 17:27 »
Ah, I think I see what the problem is now. Here's an update for you to try:

Let me know if you still get the problem happening with that.

boswelja

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug '21 - 07:14 »
Awesome, that seems to have fixed the initial audio quality. I've just tried applying effects and the audio ends up distorted again, it sounds pretty similar to what we were getting before the last fix. The tests I've run so far include a mix of track volume, frequency, tempo and balance adjustments, as well as sample volume, frequency and balance. Let me know if you'd like some recordings, or if there's any more testing I can do, and thanks a lot for your help so far!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 25 Aug '21 - 15:16 »
Good to hear the BASS update worked. Is the problem only returning when you use BASSmix? That had the same issue as BASS did, so here's an update of that for you to try:

Let me know if you still get the problem happening.

boswelja

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug '21 - 00:16 »
Yep, that seems to have fixed it! Thanks again for your help!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug '21 - 17:18 »
Great! Yesterday's BASSmix update was actually posted in the middle of some other code tweaks (matrix mixing stuff), and another update to complete those tweaks is up now (in the ZIP above).

boswelja

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug '21 - 02:57 »
Awesome, I've updated BASSMix and can confirm everything is working normally! Is there a chance we can get win-arm64 included with the other regular binary releases?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 27 Aug '21 - 17:47 »
There aren't any plans to include ARM64 builds in the Win32 BASS packages at the moment, but that could change in future if ARM Windows devices become more common. I don't think they are very common currently?

boswelja

« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep '21 - 05:53 »
True, they're not very common *yet*, there's only a handful of Windows on ARM devices currently released. However, the more software that supports them the better imo, it should help boost adoption of these more efficient CPUs too. At the end of the day though it is up to you, whether you see worth in supporting what (I think) is the future of PCs before widespread adoption.