Author Topic: Licensing for donationware  (Read 212 times)

kode54

Licensing for donationware
« on: 3 May '21 - 23:01 »
I have seen your older posts regarding donationware and licensing. As my software features mentions of donations, and credits for people who donate, and a prominent donation menu item, and since I have multiple applications which use BASSMIDI, and I cannot predict if I will ever or never receive greater than 40 from a single donor, I have no choice but to eliminate BASS from my software. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Licensing for donationware
« Reply #1 on: 4 May '21 - 17:08 »
In case you're still thinking about it, you would be OK with a Shareware BASS licence even if you do get the occasional bigger donation.

deus-ex

« Reply #2 on: 4 May '21 - 18:55 »
Hi Ian,

please correct me if I'm wrong, the requirement for a BASS shareware license only applies for applications which earn you money:
  • by selling the application (i.e. it requires registration)
  • by implementing a donation function into the application
  • by including advertisement to the application

1. The foobar2000 plugin foo_midi is available free of charge without any restrictions. It includes no advertisement and no donation functionality. So it does not require a BASS shareware license and could continue to be distributed as is, right?

2. The application Cog currently includes a donation function which earns you money, so it requires a BASS shareware license. This license requirement would be void by removing the donation function from the application and asking for donations for the expenses of hosting or similar costs only. Is this correct?

3. Foo_midi and Cog are two different applications, they even run on different OS platforms (Windows and Mac). The fact that Cog currently requires a BASS shareware license does NOT imply that foo_midi requires it, too. Do I have this also correct?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 5 May '21 - 15:31 »
Yes, that all looks correct. Regarding #2, a BASS licence would only be required if the donations are requested in the app (not just on a website) or if the user gets something for their donation (eg. extra features or support).

deus-ex

« Reply #4 on: 5 May '21 - 16:51 »
Thank you for the confirmation. According to Kode54 the application Cog does indeed include a donation function, not just on the website.

Meanwhile Kode54 already removed support for BASS from all of his plugins and applications. I tried to explain to him that he is not required to remove BASS from those projects that adhere to the conditions I described in my previous post, and that you've just confirmed. Unfortunately my attempts seemed not to meet his interest, as he didn't want to wait for your response and the opportunity to perhaps find an agreement, if that would have been necessary.
« Last Edit: 5 May '21 - 18:07 by deus-ex »