Author Topic: Any Help?  (Read 6272 times)

c.assale

Any Help?
« on: 20 May '03 - 15:45 »
xmPlay made me throw out all players from my computer but something weird is happening....
I've downloaded and installed xmplay 2.7 this afternoon and some annoying things are happening (in fact these things are happening sice version 2.6) :-/:
1. When xmplay is open the MS Office toolbar disapears and the pop-in taskbar doesn't pop in anymore. To fix it I have to press the "windows" key on the keyboard (the bar pops) and then rerun the Office toolbar. It seems that these tools are hidden behind the GUI.
2. Everytime I try to play a wav file, the program crashes...
3. At the end of any midi file or when we try to do any action on it, the program crashes without any warning....it just disapears from screen. I know it crashes because any new configuration just vanishes....
I'm running Windows 98 SE and Wingroove with the Pager or Graphite skin.
Any help.... ???

Thanks
Carlos

c.assale

Re: Any Help?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May '03 - 16:33 »
Well....
After deleting the Register Key and reinstalling the program it's now playing wav normally.
The other things are still happening....
Wht can't I make the program play MIDI ???
Carlos

Zarggg

« Reply #2 on: 20 May '03 - 17:34 »

c.assale

« Reply #3 on: 20 May '03 - 19:04 »
Hi Alpha!
The midi plugin was installed but not configured the way the support page indicate.
After configuration, when I tried to play a MIDI file, the program crashed again and stay crashing for all file types supported.
I had to, again, burn the register key and reinstall to things start to work out again....
But MIDI is still an alien to my xmplay....
Help needed!!!!
Thanx,
Carlos

Pike84

« Reply #4 on: 20 May '03 - 21:01 »
One thing could help: get Win2k ;) (or XP, but it takes up more resources)

Brightguy

Re: MIDI setup
« Reply #5 on: 20 May '03 - 21:09 »
Well, I think they should be the same as the support site, but here's how I described the setups:

Method 1:
First of all, to play .mids you must be using the DM / Microsoft Synthesizer device.
To use this device you must make sure that 'Show all DirectMusic devices' is checked, and 'Disable DirectMusic support' in unchecked.  These can be found in the config menu under the 'DirectMusic' tab.

Finally, you must check 'Play through [Winamp's] output system (Software DirectMusic synths only)' which can be found under the 'Output' tab.  Note that this box only appears when using the DM / Microsoft Synthesizer device.

You must have DirectX installed to use this method.  Remember that you have to restart XMPlay after checking Show all DirectMusic devices.

Method 2:
  • open the MIDI plugin's config window, and just like in the other setup, go to the DirectMusic tab and check "Show all DirectMusic devices" and uncheck "Disable DirectMusic support" (if you haven't already)
  • Go back to the Device tab - and use DirectMusic as your driver (select DM / MIDI Mapper as your device)
  • Go to the Output tab - check "Sample data from:", and I chose "Wave Recording" although it may work for more
  • Finally, check "Send to output" and you're done

Which method did you try?  Post any other problems that you have and hopefully we can help you out.

c.assale

« Reply #6 on: 20 May '03 - 23:09 »

Dear Brightguy,

I tried both methods. None helped.
But paying more attention I noticed that when in the Device Setup panel there's no device defined for MIDI (no Midi) a dialog box appears saying: "MMSYSTEM05 The pointer of the identificated device is invalid" (that was translated from portoguese). When I choose a device in the panel, the program crashes as soon the play button is pressed (illegal operation performed). Formerly, from that point, the program crashed no matter the file type to be played but now, after restart, it's playing wav and mp3 files normally....
It's not so important to play MIDI with xmplay but, since it's possible, I want to have the option active. But the program must MIDI through Wingroove and/or use the Winamp .sf2 support.

Is there a vampire in my system...???...hehehe....
C'mon Brightguy, I need your light....!!!!

Carlos

Brightguy

Re: MIDI setup
« Reply #7 on: 21 May '03 - 03:47 »
Well, I'm not exaactly sure what to think then...  ???

Which devices do you have listed?

Zarggg

« Reply #8 on: 21 May '03 - 14:15 »
"MMSYSTEM05 The pointer of the identificated device is invalid"

All that error means is that either (A) a program in memory is claiming all access to your sound card (more specifically, WAVE output), or (B) you computer thinks you don't have a sound card.  I sometimes get it if XMPlay, or another program that uses my sound card, terminates imporperly.
« Last Edit: 21 May '03 - 14:17 by Zarggg »

Brightguy

« Reply #9 on: 21 May '03 - 20:24 »
Wait a minute... I know your problem now. :idea:

You don't use XMPlay's Device Setup panel when setting up the MIDI plugin. :)  That's why you were getting the error message for every file type, because you changed the device XMPlay uses to play... ::)

You have to go to the Plugins panel, and scroll down to Winamp2 MIDI plug-in v2.64.  Click on it, and select Config.  Then follow one of the methods above...  And you can change XMPlay's MIDI device back to "no MIDI"... that's only used for special XMs.

Hope it works now. :)

c.assale

« Reply #10 on: 21 May '03 - 20:49 »
I don't think so....
As I described before, when the Device panel is set to "No MIDI" I got that error message.
When I choose a device there the program crashes....
Carlos

Brightguy

« Reply #11 on: 21 May '03 - 20:54 »
You don't choose a device from XMPlay's panel... don't even bother with it right now.

All setup is done from the plugin configuration.  Which devices do you see there?  There should be ones like DM / Microsoft Synthesizer device and DM / MIDI Mapper.

c.assale

« Reply #12 on: 23 May '03 - 18:56 »
Well my friends....
I've checked and re-checked the configurations and now everything is working ok!!!!....but don't ask me why....  :laugh:
Now xmplay is playing MIDI through the devives I want and doing a good job (sometimes it chokes but this is my machine's fault.... ;D)
Thanks for the patience and thank you developpers for that good piece of code....now there's not even a trace of other players in my computer....
All the best for everybody!!!!
Carlos