Author Topic: Is BASS for me?  (Read 226 times)

LordAdef

Is BASS for me?
« on: 12 Oct '21 - 21:49 »
Hello everyone!

I would like to start coding some multi-track audio progs. As far as I could find out, I believe BASS is what I need, and I can use MASM too.

But I am rather new to it and I would like to ask how capable of producing a full fledged multi-track DAW Bass library is. Not that I am going to be able to achieve that.

Any help to get started would be wonderful.

Thanks so much, in advance.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Is BASS for me?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct '21 - 14:46 »
BASS could be used in a DAW app, but it would only be a part of the solution. For example, you could use BASS for decoding/mixing/playing tracks, but you would need to implement other things like the UI yourself (or using other components).

LordAdef

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct '21 - 21:49 »
Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate!

I am studying the MASM examples to get the grip of it.

In fact, I had troubles building some of the examples. On my Windows 10, there are crashes.

I am debugging them one by one as it goes, and will be posting the fixes here. Is it all right?

Spectrum is already solved => crashes when MODE_WAVE and MODE_FFT was selected

PLease let me know how to proceed to send you the changes, if you want

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct '21 - 17:27 »
I am studying the MASM examples to get the grip of it.

In fact, I had troubles building some of the examples. On my Windows 10, there are crashes.

I am debugging them one by one as it goes, and will be posting the fixes here. Is it all right?

Sure, that would be great! You can send them to the email address in my forum profile. The MASM API and examples were kindly provided by other BASS users, but that means they aren't always up-to-date with the latest stuff. If you can understand C code, it's best to prefer the C examples included in the BASS package as references.

LordAdef

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct '21 - 06:03 »
Hi Ian,

I am going to clean the code and send it to you. I also added a make file for UAsm too.

The BassTest (is this the right name?) is also broken for my win10. I am going to fix it and post what I may find.

I am also going to convert the BassMix header file to .inc (I assume there isnít one already done, right?). Again, I send it to you, too.

I can read C, and am going to follow your advice, thanks.

By the way, congratulations for the amazing piece of work!!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct '21 - 14:55 »
I am also going to convert the BassMix header file to .inc (I assume there isnít one already done, right?). Again, I send it to you, too.

Yeah, I don't think there is currently a BASSmix header for MASM available, so that would be great.

The BASS header is also a bit outdated (from BASS 2.4.11 I think). I'll look into getting the missing stuff added this week.