Author Topic: Windows version of BASS_SSL  (Read 389 times)

Windows version of BASS_SSL
« on: 23 Jul '22 - 06:11 »
The Windows version of BASS_SSL seems to only support BASSenc, are there any plans to support BASS?
In my environment (Windows 7), BASS_StreamCreateURL fails because I cannot add a new cipher suite.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Windows version of BASS_SSL
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul '22 - 13:23 »
The BASS_SSL add-on (based on OpenSSL) is indeed currently only used by the BASSenc add-on on Windows. BASS itself uses Windows' own SSL/HTTPS support, and there are currently no plans for it to use BASS_SSL instead. What cipher(s) are you missing, and do you have all Windows updates installed? Here's a list of what should be supported by Windows 7:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/secauthn/tls-cipher-suites-in-windows-7

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul '22 - 13:42 »
My NET RADIO application was working fine, but recently I started getting errors.
so I checked and found that the server was requesting a cipher suite that windows 7 does not have,
such as
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
I asked this question because I thought BASS_SSL seemed to support these cipher suites.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul '22 - 11:36 »
Perhaps you could report the issue to the server operator? It seems unlikely that they would disable Win7 support intentionally, as it still has quite a large userbase.

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul '22 - 14:01 »
This server is a National Broadcaster, so they did not support win7(which is already expired).
Upgrading the OS (e.g. Win10) would solve this problem, but I am disappointed that this is an issue only with the cipher suite.
Thank you for your patience.