Author Topic: Questions about licensing  (Read 339 times)

carolino

Questions about licensing
« on: 27 Jul '22 - 14:42 »
Hello,

I'm developing an radio automation software, like ZaraRadio/RadioBOSS, but my project will be open source. At the moment, I have no intention of receiving any money, either via donations or advertisements, with my software being completely free. I'm using NAudio as my audio library, but BASS is a really great library too, so I have some questions about the free license.

I know that in the future, if I change my mind about making money, I will have to purchase a license. I also know that as my software is open source, I will have to put disclaimers about BASS license, so that no one mistakes my code's license with the library's license.

- I understand that I, as the developer, can't make money with my software to use BASS for free. But can my users? As it is an radio automation software, the people who download my software can use it in commercial entities, who make money with advertising in their radios. Should they/me adquire a license in this case?

- As my software is open source, hosted on GitHub, there is the possibility of receiving contributions, from small bug fixes to big features/functionalities. Even if I don't receive money, would that make me stop being considered an individual, making it necessary to acquire the license?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for any bad english, as I used the Google Translator.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Questions about licensing
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul '22 - 17:52 »
- I understand that I, as the developer, can't make money with my software to use BASS for free. But can my users? As it is an radio automation software, the people who download my software can use it in commercial entities, who make money with advertising in their radios. Should they/me adquire a license in this case?

A BASS licence would generally be needed for anyone to use the software commercially. A commercial user could purchase a licence just for themselves, or purchase it on your behalf so that other users of the software are covered too. Please note that a licence would not generally extend to any forks that may be created.

- As my software is open source, hosted on GitHub, there is the possibility of receiving contributions, from small bug fixes to big features/functionalities. Even if I don't receive money, would that make me stop being considered an individual, making it necessary to acquire the license?

That will be fine without a licence.