Author Topic: Temperament/Tuning for MIDI Playback  (Read 458 times)

MXS

Temperament/Tuning for MIDI Playback
« on: 2 Jan '22 - 21:34 »
Hello,

First of all let me acknowledge that XMPlay is a great product, and its MIDI playback capabilities specifically are very good. Now for the question. On my synth keyboard I can adjust temperament by choosing one of the presets (with the base note, e.g. "Kirnberger C") or directly specifying detuning (in cents) for each of the 12 notes in the octave. This tuning is then applied to the playback of all notes.
E.g. C (0) C# (-2) D (+5) E (+6), and so on.
What are chances of such feature being added to the MIDI plugin? Some types of music require certain tuning, and on top of that being able to switch temperament before or during playback without modifying the MIDI file itself sounds like a cool feature.

Thanks!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Temperament/Tuning for MIDI Playback
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan '22 - 13:49 »
The MIDI plugin does support scale/octave tuning sysex messages in MIDI files, but there isn't currently any way to manually override that stuff. It may be possible to add something to the MIDI mixer window, but I wouldn't want it to get too fiddly. What option(s) did you have in mind, and were you thinking of applying them to all channels or per-channel?