Author Topic: iOS - libbassflac - enable bitcode  (Read 139 times)

Rendel

iOS - libbassflac - enable bitcode
« on: 30 May '22 - 19:49 »
Hi everyone ^^
I'm really excited with this library, and I'm using it to play ogg audio files in an iOS app (currently developing).

We've got bitcode enabled in our app, but with libbassflac it gives an error:
ld: '/.../Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/libbassflac.a(libbassflac.a-arm64-master.o)' does not contain bitcode. You must rebuild it with bitcode enabled (Xcode setting ENABLE_BITCODE), obtain an updated library from the vendor, or disable bitcode for this target.

I've already searched for bitcode problem, and saw many posts about it, but no answers. Lot's of people are requesting bitcode support for it.
Is there a libbassflac version with bitcode enabled?
If not, is it going to be updated to support bitcode?

Thank you in advance ^^

Best,
Rendel
« Last Edit: 31 May '22 - 09:21 by Rendel »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: iOS - libbassflac - enable bitcode
« Reply #1 on: 31 May '22 - 12:28 »
The BASS libraries don't include bitcode, so that should be disabled in Xcode (set "Enable Bitcode" to "No") for your app. Apple doesn't require bitcode to be enabled on iOS, so disabling it won't prevent your app being accepted.

Rendel

« Reply #2 on: 31 May '22 - 13:07 »
The BASS libraries don't include bitcode, so that should be disabled in Xcode (set "Enable Bitcode" to "No") for your app. Apple doesn't require bitcode to be enabled on iOS, so disabling it won't prevent your app being accepted.

Currently it is disabled and working good.
I know that apple won't reject the app without bitcode enabled, but we need to keep it enabled to let apple optimize the build whenever needed.
Also keeping bitcode enabled makes our app thinner and allows the App Store to compile our app optimized for the target devices and operating system versions.

We were going to purchase the license, but if bass won't support bitcode, then I don't know if we are going to use it.
That's why I'm asking:
Are you planning to update bass library to support bitcode?

Thanks
Rendel

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 31 May '22 - 15:53 »
There are currently no plans for bitcode support. As far as I know, Apple's app slicing doesn't depend on bitcode (they can still extract a specific architecture without it), so enabling it isn't likely to make much/any difference to the user's download size. Apple's documentation states only that "Including bitcode will allow Apple to re-optimize your app binary in the future without the need to submit a new version of your app to the App Store".

https://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/devbbdc5ce4f