Author Topic: Problem with "Open file(s)"  (Read 5299 times)

Muxson

Problem with "Open file(s)"
« on: 25 Dec '08 - 22:56 »
Hi Folk!
I recently experienced problems with the command "Open file(s)".
When I click on the "Open file(s)" button or hit the corresponding shortcut ("O"), the expected dialog doesn't open. Instead all windows activity freezes. Only the mouse keeps on moving. If a file or a stream is playing, it keeps on playing.
After about 2 min XMPlay stops and the windows actions (started during these 2 min) take effect.
It looks like a timeout but I have no idea what is wrong and how to fix it.
Any help welcome!

I tried to "install" anew (freshly downloaded files) but without success.

Pike84

Re: Problem with "Open file(s)"
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec '08 - 08:31 »
You may get more help, if you post this in the "XMPlay" section ;)

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec '08 - 10:42 »
Does the dialog open after two minutes? Do you have this problem in other programs as well? Do you have any network drives mounted?
The 'Open file'-dialog is based on the basic dialog of Windows itself, so it shouldn't cause any problems. Does it respond directly when you right-click it?

Muxson

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec '08 - 14:13 »
Thank you Pike, I'll think about it next time   ::) (still got to find my way through... ;))

Does the dialog open after two minutes? Do you have this problem in other programs as well? Do you have any network drives mounted?
The 'Open file'-dialog is based on the basic dialog of Windows itself, so it shouldn't cause any problems. Does it respond directly when you right-click it?

The dialog does not open (on a left-click) after 2min. The app closes instead.
I don't have this problem in any other progs.
No network drive mounted.
On a right-click, the "Open-directory" dialog opens after 2min.
While writing this entry, as I tried the right-click and the "Open-dir." opened after 2min, I did select a file on C: drive. It worked! and

This solved the problem! :D

When opening the Open-file(s) dialog, it gets populated with the content of the last selected folder.
Could it be that it was pointed to a location that was removed on the meantime?
I tried this with a CD and with a Thumb drive that I removed before hitting "O" again but couldn't reproduce the error...

Thanks anyway!
« Last Edit: 26 Dec '08 - 14:16 by Muxson »

Zarggg

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec '08 - 01:22 »
It may be possible it was trying to open a non-existent directory, but I've never heard of this bug happening before.

Muxson

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec '08 - 19:32 »
You're right Zarggg!
I discovered something that certainly caused the problem.
My XMPlay folder was in my Dropbox folder (synchronized over the web, see http://www.getdropbox.com/), introducing a conflict.
Once you know a bit more how it works it's quite obvious but I never looked into the .ini file (who would do it anyway?...  :))

Hope this may help others...

Happy new year 2009 to all!

Muxson