Author Topic: .mpeg files  (Read 4007 times)

RedBaron

.mpeg files
« on: 7 Oct '09 - 20:07 »
Hello everyone. I have a few .mpeg files that I downloaded through a firefox extension. Any idea how I can play them using XM Play?
Also, is there a plugin for XM Play that shows the song name etc as the status for Trillian Astra?
Thanks.

Pike84

Re: .mpeg files
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct '09 - 20:47 »
Hello everyone. I have a few .mpeg files that I downloaded through a firefox extension. Any idea how I can play them using XM Play?
XMPlay is an audio player. Those .mpeg files are video files, and you'll need to use a video player to play them.

Also, is there a plugin for XM Play that shows the song name etc as the status for Trillian Astra?Thanks.
There's a plugin like that for Messenger, but I don't think there's one for Trillian. I could be wrong though.

RedBaron

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct '09 - 20:57 »
No, these files contain audio only. I captured them off an audio uploading site.
Too bad there isn't a plugin for Trillian. Which messenger are you talking about anyway?

saga

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct '09 - 21:36 »
Which messenger are you talking about anyway?
MSN.
I think there's actually an external program which can send player data to various messengers, but I can't recall its name.

RedBaron

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct '09 - 21:46 »
Maybe you are talking about HyperIM? I tried it a long time back and couldn't get it to work. Besides it is not a true XM Play plugin because you have to install it.

saga

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct '09 - 22:31 »
Ah yes, that's the name.
On a side node, requiring installation doesn't indicate whether something is a plugin or not. Plugins often also have to be installed. The difference that HyperIM is a program that has to be launched. A plugin will be launched inside XMPlay.

Zarggg

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct '09 - 05:12 »
.mpeg is not a standard file extension for audio data. That extension (usually) indicates an MPEG-1 container, which may contain Layer I, Layer II, or Layer III audio data. Try changing the extension to .mp3 and see if XMPlay recognizes it?

Dotpitch

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct '09 - 09:29 »
Maybe you are talking about HyperIM? I tried it a long time back and couldn't get it to work. Besides it is not a true XM Play plugin because you have to install it.
HyperIM is an intermediate program, which facilitates the connection to a lot of different programs. I see you've tried it before and it didn't work, but there is no other way to get song data to Trillian (that is, unless you develop a plugin yourself).

.mpeg is not a standard file extension for audio data. That extension (usually) indicates an MPEG-1 container, which may contain Layer I, Layer II, or Layer III audio data. Try changing the extension to .mp3 and see if XMPlay recognizes it?
XMPlay should play the audio from MPEG-files, just drag-and-drop them on the playlist. Note that in the Playlist tab of Options and stuff, there's an 'Ignored filetypes' box, which can keep XMPlay from loading MPEG-files.

RedBaron

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct '09 - 18:45 »
Yes.
Removing the ignored filetypes makes XM Play play the file.
Thanks to everyone for their input :)

P.S Is there a plugin that makes XM Play play sound from a video file?
I tried renaming an avi file to mp3 and it didn't work.

Dotpitch

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct '09 - 22:50 »
Is there a plugin that makes XM Play play sound from a video file? I tried renaming an avi file to mp3 and it didn't work.
AVI is rather different from MPEG and mp3, so simply renaming it won't do the trick. Why don't you demux the audio stream, for example with AVIMux?

Zarggg

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct '09 - 15:37 »
.avi is actually a different container from MPEG, though it can contain MPEG-1 video and audio streams.