Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.6  (Read 170085 times)

biglebowski

Re: Suggestions for 3.6
« Reply #25 on: 30 Dec '09 - 01:29 »
I'd like to see an option to periodically retry the audio stream URL, without getting the popup "server full" error. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see the popup die a slow death  ;D

[edit]

It already has that feature. Never mind.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec '09 - 02:01 by biglebowski »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec '09 - 14:09 »
I placed xmplay.exe and xmp-ds.dll into empty catalogue, launched xmplay.exe then call Options&stuff.
Clicking Output menu option cause xmplay to crash. Extending (+)Output menu tree into Encoders; Direct Sound is Ok.

Soundcard: NVIDIA HDMI Audio

Crashlog:

From that log, the DS plugin appears to have crashed when XMPlay asked it to provide the device names for the device list. I'm not sure how that could have happened though, so I think I will have to send you a debug version for some clues.

amit

« Reply #27 on: 31 Dec '09 - 15:22 »
How about adding to skins slider_rating.bmp  thus allowing the change of the rating graphically without a context menu?

saga

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jan '10 - 13:05 »
Is there a way to turn off the new seach features? I am often searching for song titles and I have to prepend a " char if I'm searching for multiple words, or else I wouldn't find what I'm searching for.
It would be nice if this was "turn-offable", at least with an INI setting.

Cris

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jan '10 - 17:09 »
Can it be added an option similar to Stop at end of track, but for Stop at end of queue? :)

I know there's already an option for this, but it's not very useful for 2 reasons:
- it's kinda hard to reach (however, it could be fixed by adding a shortcut)
- it not a one-time option, which would be a lot more useful than a permanent option.

oddiophile

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jan '10 - 08:01 »
One thing I would really love to see in the next version is play speed / playrate control like in Windows Media Player or AlsaPlayer for Linux.

A simple play rate slider for speeding up / slowing down tracks.

This can be done in two different ways:

- Simple play rate control like in 90% of the players out there. Low CPU usage, but the song pitch is altered. Very useful and easy to implement.

- More advanced method using a time stretching algorithm as in Winamp or REAPER. Higher CPU usage, but the pitch stays the same. Only the song speed (tempo) is changed.

And there's another addition to this feature suggestion:

- Backwards playback as in AlsaPlayer for Linux or Windows Media Player.  CPU intensive without SSE ,but not that much when SSE1 is used. This is the only feature that really needs SSE optimizations.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan '10 - 08:16 by oddiophile »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: 4 Jan '10 - 15:49 »
How about separate crossfade time for manual track changes (second slider)?

Here's an update in which the manual track change crossfade length is configurable (as a percentage of the normal crossfade)...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Cypress

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jan '10 - 02:01 »
Hello Everybody... and millions thanks to Ian for the 'song rating' feature :)

i think it would be cool if the stars would be a bit bigger or even better using a bitmap file maybe a new feature for skins

Saludos desde Bolivia :)

Fraggie

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jan '10 - 09:31 »
How about separate crossfade time for manual track changes (second slider)?

Here's an update in which the manual track change crossfade length is configurable (as a percentage of the normal crossfade)...

Thx!

Markus Foti

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jan '10 - 08:25 »
Thanks for the "stuff" builds, especially since they are coming so close on the heels of the official release!

Unfortunately, somewhere between 3.5 and 3.5.0.3, the different formatting options for titles in the playlist panel and the extended playlist got broken.  :-(

It was a great addition, because my panel is small, so having the title first is important, while it was nice to see an Artist-Album-Song sequence in the extended playlist,

Could you fix it, pretty please?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 6 Jan '10 - 13:43 »
Oops, the panel title format was indeed being ignored (since the playlist column options were added). Here's an update to correct that...

Dotpitch

« Last Edit: 10 Dec '10 - 18:18 by Dotpitch »

Markus

« Reply #37 on: 6 Jan '10 - 21:01 »
Oops, the panel title format was indeed being ignored (since the playlist column options were added). Here's an update to correct that...

Sweet!

oddiophile

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jan '10 - 09:10 »
Quote from: Dotpitch
More major or minor feature requests? Post them in this thread!

OK, here's some more suggestions:

• Conditional resampling settings as in ffdshow:

Resample if the sample rate of the audio file played is not equal to / is greater than / is lower than [xxxxx Hz]. Otherwise don't use resampling.

• View images embedded in audio podcasts in the main window
« Last Edit: 8 Jan '10 - 09:42 by oddiophile »

Pike84

« Reply #39 on: 8 Jan '10 - 09:53 »
    • View images embedded in audio podcasts in the main window
    Images in the main window? Doesn't seem to be much room there ::)

amit

« Reply #40 on: 8 Jan '10 - 10:13 »
    There was already a suggestion to allow visualizations in the main panel. Although not a visualization per se these images are not a lot different.They could utilize the same space.

Maybe such a visualization could be written or fused into the album cover vis?

piovrauz

« Reply #41 on: 8 Jan '10 - 12:28 »
    hehe, so I heard Dotpitch wants suggestions...?
    Virtual tracks for file+cue, or even for folders (grouped as albums), even for mod subsong if possible.
    What else? nothing (for now XD)

Pike84

« Reply #42 on: 8 Jan '10 - 13:00 »
    +1

oddiophile

« Reply #43 on: 8 Jan '10 - 14:09 »
    Even more suggestions:

• A setting to make the info bubbles appear faster. Waiting 500-1000 ms for a tooltip to appear is very irritating. A 50-100ms setting would be much better :)

• A 10th band in the graphic EQ (30 Hz) for suppressing unwanted subsonics.

• More DSP effects:
      - A simple noise gate (mutes all sounds below a given threshold). Useful for listening to recordings which have that -50dB /-60dB tape or vinyl hiss.

- Soft saturation - a simple limiter that softly distorts sounds (instead of clipping or reducing the volume), like a tube amp or analog tape.

« Last Edit: 8 Jan '10 - 14:12 by oddiophile »

Pike84

« Reply #44 on: 8 Jan '10 - 14:43 »
    • More DSP effects:
      - A simple noise gate (mutes all sounds below a given threshold). Useful for listening to recordings which have that -50dB /-60dB tape or vinyl hiss.

- Soft saturation - a simple limiter that softly distorts sounds (instead of clipping or reducing the volume), like a tube amp or analog tape.
    I'm pretty sure at least some of that stuff can already be done with some Winamp DSP plugins, although I haven't tried/used many myself.

saga

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jan '10 - 15:07 »
    50ms would be quite irritating, since that means "immediate".

Dotpitch

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jan '10 - 15:40 »
    A setting to make the info bubbles appear faster. Waiting 500-1000 ms for a tooltip to appear is very irritating. A 50-100ms setting would be much better
    Why would you want the bubbles to appear that fast? I'd say the button images represent their action pretty well in most skins. Perhaps you could use it on the equalizer, but how often would you change that?
    - A simple noise gate
    - Soft saturation
    I'm pretty sure at least some of that stuff can already be done with some Winamp DSP plugins, although I haven't tried/used many myself.
    Native versions would be better, since Winamp plugins are usually limited to 16-bit resolution and require an additional wrapper.

oddiophile

« Reply #47 on: 9 Jan '10 - 03:56 »

I always set the Windows tooltip delay to 50ms or 100ms (I like snappy menus and tooltips)

A tooltip delay slider like in REAPER would be awesome.

oddiophile

« Reply #48 on: 9 Jan '10 - 04:03 »
    Here's another suggestion (another addition to the playrate and resampling options):

• A setting to auto-adjust the playrate of audio files (simple speed up or slow down without timestretching) to scale to the output sample rate without resampling
      (as in AlsaPlayer for Linux)

Elrinth

« Reply #49 on: 9 Jan '10 - 06:34 »
    hehe, so I heard Dotpitch wants suggestions...?
    Virtual tracks for file+cue, or even for folders (grouped as albums), even for mod subsong if possible.
    What else? nothing (for now XD)
    +2

Aaaaand...
    in_ficedm.dll "Ficedula DMusic player v1.10 (x86)" This plugin is not supported by XMPlay because it uses it's own output.
    Perhaps there's some way to support such a plugin for future releases of xmp. I can't get ahold of the author for this plugin, that's why I'm asking.
    « Last Edit: 9 Jan '10 - 06:36 by Elrinth »