Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.6  (Read 170118 times)

Dotpitch

Re: Suggestions for 3.6
« Reply #50 on: 9 Jan '10 - 09:33 »
A setting to auto-adjust the playrate of audio files (simple speed up or slow down without timestretching) to scale to the output sample rate without resampling (as in AlsaPlayer for Linux)
Playing a 44.1 kHz file at 48 kHz makes it sound all different. I what case are you using this?

RedBaron

« Reply #51 on: 10 Jan '10 - 04:39 »
Any chance of making it use the same soundfont that WMP uses to play MIDI files?
I dont want to download and configure a soundfont specifically for XMPlay..

oddiophile

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jan '10 - 06:04 »
DLS support? Yes,please :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jan '10 - 08:54 »
DLS support? Yes,please
There are currently no plans for DLS support. That may change in future, but I just haven't seen the number of DLS soundfonts (compared to SF2) to justify the effort at this point.
Do you have a lot of files that use DLS?
Any chance of making it use the same soundfont that WMP uses to play MIDI files? I dont want to download and configure a soundfont specifically for XMPlay.
WMP uses the Roland GM Soundfont which is integrated into Windows. You could download it as an sf2-file, but then you're better off with a different soundfont (read this thread).

Zarggg

« Reply #54 on: 12 Jan '10 - 06:18 »
]A setting to make the info bubbles appear faster. Waiting 500-1000 ms for a tooltip to appear is very irritating. A 50-100ms setting would be much better :)
You understand that 500-1000 milliseconds = 0.5-1 second, right?

Any chance of making it use the same soundfont that WMP uses to play MIDI files?
I dont want to download and configure a soundfont specifically for XMPlay..
No offense intended to you, but the current method is actually a better way to do it. Also, I don't think there's any way for Ian to program XMPlay to use a soundfont built into another program, even if it is "part of Windows" (which is really isn't).

Elrinth

« Reply #55 on: 12 Jan '10 - 14:47 »
Oh one more suggestion for 3.6. When scanning a LARGE library and it's subdirectories xmplay crashes (has always done in all versions of it for me). One suggestion is that this is to be fixed. Can I get a debug exe and I'll in report on where and hopefully why it crashes. My Windows Event Log doesn't show it.
Nor does my dr watson log show anything related to xmplay.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: 13 Jan '10 - 17:45 »
That will probably be a plugin crashing on a particular file. I'll send you a debug version to hopefully find out which plugin and file.

Sam_Zen

« Reply #57 on: 15 Jan '10 - 01:54 »
It would be elegant to have an option to have a small fade out when pressing the stop key in the middle of a song.

saga

« Reply #58 on: 15 Jan '10 - 06:15 »
I guess in that case it would make sense to use the same fadeout value as for manual advancing.

amit

« Reply #59 on: 15 Jan '10 - 10:34 »
Can there be a differentiation between shell options "open with xmplay" and "add to xmplay list" regarding beginning of playback of listed tracks? Currently I am using default action "add to playlist" and play listed tracks "after bookmarking" but Either way: Open files or Add files results in playback of listed tracks. Is it possible to default "add to list" shell command to only add the files?

Tsorovan

« Reply #60 on: 16 Jan '10 - 13:43 »
Options and stuff > Integration > Play listed tracks: never

amit

« Reply #61 on: 16 Jan '10 - 14:08 »
Options and stuff > Integration > Play listed tracks: never

I want tracks always to be added to the list  but only when opening  to have them played immediately.When choosing the add option from the shell context menu I want them to be added 'silently' .

Tsorovan

« Reply #62 on: 16 Jan '10 - 17:41 »
Yes?

t0mm

« Reply #63 on: 16 Jan '10 - 21:56 »
Option "save as/load" midi plugin configuration?

KaoDome

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jan '10 - 17:18 »
It would be great to be able to use a custom encoder, not only OGGENC or LAME.

Also a great addition would be to be able to listen to an audio file or internet stream while recording it to disk either using the WAVE writer or the chosen encoder.

Zarggg

« Reply #65 on: 21 Jan '10 - 17:38 »
You can set up any encoder already. It just needs to be command-line, not GUI.

The reason you can't listen is because XMPlay is actually funneling its output to the writer/encoder, rather than your soundcard. Even if Ian changed this, it would slow down the process, as XMPlay sends it to the encoder as fast as your processor/the encoder can handle, rather than 1x realtime.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan '10 - 17:41 by Zarggg »

Dotpitch

« Reply #66 on: 21 Jan '10 - 18:24 »
Also a great addition would be to be able to listen to an audio file or internet stream while recording it to disk either using the WAVE writer or the chosen encoder.
I think it's easier to save the stream or file using 'Write to disk' and later transcode it if required.

[edit]
Beginner's Guide (4.10) External encoders.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: 21 Jan '10 - 18:31 by Dotpitch »

KaoDome

« Reply #67 on: 21 Jan '10 - 19:33 »

Thanks for pointing me out to that, I didn't realize it was already possible.

As for the saving and playing, it could be easy to implement or difficult depending on how XMPlay internally works; anyway, it's just a suggestion :)

saga

« Reply #68 on: 22 Jan '10 - 06:17 »
Saving and playing is possible for internet streams, but I personally don't really see a point in playing and rendering to disk at the same time in other cases...

AceMan

« Reply #69 on: 22 Jan '10 - 12:27 »
The thing I miss the most is the possibility to select which plugin should be used when playing different formats. For example, I'd like "Surfsmurf's oldsk00l MOD player" to play .mod files rather than XMPlay-built-in one...

And btw - thanks for 3.5! :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jan '10 - 13:34 »
For example, I'd like "Surfsmurf's oldsk00l MOD player" to play .mod files rather than XMPlay-built-in one...
Out of curiosity, why do you want that? Are there any specific problems with XMPlays MOD player?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: 22 Jan '10 - 15:36 »
Option "save as/load" midi plugin configuration?

Here's an update to try (see the "configs" button)...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-midi.dll

Rather than separate files, the soundfont configs are stored in XMPLAY.INI alongside the rest of the plugin's config. It currently includes 5 slots, but that could be increased if necessary.

Zarggg

« Reply #72 on: 22 Jan '10 - 15:56 »

Speaking of, has anyone gotten FLAC to work? When I try it, XMPlay just hangs and I can't see anything wrong with the command line:

Code: [Select]
flac -8 <tagging switches>
I have tried it both with and without "-" for stdin and "%o" for output file.

Dotpitch

« Reply #73 on: 22 Jan '10 - 17:04 »
Speaking of, has anyone gotten FLAC to work? When I try it, XMPlay just hangs and I can't see anything wrong with the command line:
flac -8 <tagging switches>I have tried it both with and without "-" for stdin and "%o" for output file.
Have you tried this?
flac -8 <tagging> - -o %oSeems to work properly here.

AceMan

« Reply #74 on: 22 Jan '10 - 17:44 »
Out of curiosity, why do you want that? Are there any specific problems with XMPlays MOD player?

Well, that was probably bad example :) I just read somewhere that it's really good. Anyway, it would be nice feature since sometimes different plugins share support for the same formats and I'd like to compare them and choose the best one.