Author Topic: advanced ASIO Q.  (Read 2136 times)

al128

advanced ASIO Q.
« on: 30 Dec '09 - 13:33 »
Hi there,

I use XMP with a EMU 0404USB card through the ASIO driver.

However, the driver (within XMP) asks me at what sampling rate to play.

Here my Q: doesnt XMP switch AUTOMATICALLY the sampling rate, depending on the material I listen? (e.g. listening to 3 songs: first@44.1, then one @96 and then one @88.2)

The EMU applet indicates always the same sampling rate.

I also use MediaJukebox, whose ASIO implementation automatically switches sampling rate and bitdepth (emu applet showing different [and correct] sampling rates for the 3 different songs)

So could you confirm (or not) that XMP actually switches the sampling rate (SR) automatically via ASIO

also is there are only 2 SR's above redbook (48 and 96) but there are no 88.2 or 192khz ... what happens if those files are played - will it downsample?

thx for your time and effort
al

Dotpitch

Re: advanced ASIO Q.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec '09 - 14:11 »
Here my Q: doesnt XMP switch AUTOMATICALLY the sampling rate, depending on the material I listen? (e.g. listening to 3 songs: first@44.1, then one @96 and then one @88.2)
XMPlay can (and, by default, does) automatically switch sample rates, so the output device is set to the sample rate of the file. That particular sample rate setting is only used if (1) you're playing module files and/or (2) you've ticked 'Apply sample rate to all file formats' and/or (3) your device does not support the sample rate of the file.

also is there are only 2 SR's above redbook (48 and 96) but there are no 88.2 or 192khz ... what happens if those files are played - will it downsample?
If your device supports that sample rate, XMPlay will use it. Those rates are just not in the list because they're hardly used.

[edit]Fixed typo.[/edit]
« Last Edit: 30 Dec '09 - 15:59 by Dotpitch »

al128

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec '09 - 15:45 »
thx dotpitch - your input is highly appreciated ...

would you happen to have a link to this kind of information (which i acknowledge is quite specific) ... - theres little to no info on the .txt file that came with the asio output driver

again, thx

and a great new year to you
al

[/b]
« Last Edit: 30 Dec '09 - 16:33 by al128 »

Dotpitch

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec '09 - 15:58 »
would you happen to have a link to this kind of information (which i acknowledge is quite specific)
Well, there's something on the Support Site and some stuff in the manual (xmplay.txt) as well, but that's about it. To find out things as specific as this, you can just to post here or try it yourself (hint: the General tab of the Info window shows the current output configuration).