Author Topic: 3.5 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 108764 times)

winner

Re: 3.5 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #100 on: 24 Apr '10 - 16:09 »
And no, I do not have an "Open with XMPlay" on the first level of right click context, but I do have "Open with >" on the first level and "XMPlay" among several selections at the second level.
That 'Open with ...' menu is from Windows itself. It's strange that the registry shows this filetype as associated with XMPlay, while Explorer clearly does not agree. What program launches if you double-click an mp3-file? Windows Media Player?

[edit]If it's WMP, remove the association within WMP and try again with XMPlay.[/edit]
XMPlay launches when I double click an MP3 file.

Dotpitch

« Reply #101 on: 24 Apr '10 - 17:52 »
Oh right, must have been too early in the morning for me ;). If it doesn't show 'Open with XMPlay', what is shown when you right-click an mp3-file?

winner

« Reply #102 on: 24 Apr '10 - 23:00 »
Oh right, must have been too early in the morning for me ;). If it doesn't show 'Open with XMPlay', what is shown when you right-click an mp3-file?
Here is what I see:

Dotpitch

« Reply #103 on: 25 Apr '10 - 08:14 »
Could you start WMP, go to Tools > Options > Filetypes, untick 'MP3 audio file (mp3)', close it and take a look at the context menu again?

Cosworth

« Reply #104 on: 25 Apr '10 - 12:13 »
Could you start WMP, go to Tools > Options > Filetypes, untick 'MP3 audio file (mp3)', close it and take a look at the context menu again?

If i choose "Open with WMP", nothing happening.
PS: In WMP hasn't any filetypes.

winner

« Reply #105 on: 25 Apr '10 - 12:54 »
Dotpitch, not sure if you were directing this to me or Cosworth.

WMP is not associated within the application either, as far as I can tell. Version 12 on my system does not have the Tools > Options > Filetypes menu. Instead, WMP Help directs to do the following:

Go to the Windows website to watch the video. (0:53)

Click to open Computer.

Open the folder containing the music or video file type you want to change.

Right-click the file, point to Open with, and then click Choose default program.

Click the program that you want to use to open this type of file.

Select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

I have done this many times in the past but still the expected context menu for XMPlay does not appear.

Dotpitch

« Reply #106 on: 25 Apr '10 - 19:07 »
At you, actually.
WMP is not associated within the application either, as far as I can tell. Version 12 on my system does not have the Tools > Options > Filetypes menu. Instead, WMP Help directs to do the following ...
Oh great, that's a Win7 quirk again I guess... WMP is not using regular file associations, it does something different. I'm not sure what exactly, but it doesn't show up in the registry or the file type association dialog in WinXP. I think that's what's keeping the context menu from showing XMPlays additional options.

Cosworth

« Reply #107 on: 25 Apr '10 - 19:49 »

At you, actually.

Sorry, but I have same problem. Same menu, but WMP6 and XP.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: 26 Apr '10 - 13:10 »
Checking things on Win7 myself, I was able to reproduce the problem. It appears that Windows Explorer has WMP set as the default program for the filetypes that it supports, and the user has to use "Choose default program" to change that to XMPlay before it will accept XMPlay as the default program (and show the "Add to..." options). Here's an update to try, which should avoid the need for that...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

winner

« Reply #109 on: 26 Apr '10 - 23:26 »
Checking things on Win7 myself, I was able to reproduce the problem. It appears that Windows Explorer has WMP set as the default program for the filetypes that it supports, and the user has to use "Choose default program" to change that to XMPlay before it will accept XMPlay as the default program (and show the "Add to..." options). Here's an update to try, which should avoid the need for that...

Thanks Ian, it seems to work after I made a slight change to XMPlay's integration file types, saved, undid the slight change, resaved, and closed XMPlay. But when I went into 'Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program', the context menu disappeared. I'm a little tired but I think that's what I observed. I did associations though again in XMPlay and I see the context menu now again.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: 28 Apr '10 - 18:10 »
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the file associations would have to be applied again for the change to take effect. That could be done by deselecting and reselecting one of the filetypes (in the "Integration" options page) to enable the "Apply" button, and then pressing that.

Cosworth

« Reply #111 on: 30 Apr '10 - 15:52 »
Pitty, on XP SP3 doesn't work :(

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: 30 Apr '10 - 18:07 »
I don't see the problem on XP SP3, so I don't think it's a general issue with that. Do you perhaps have some special shell stuff installed? Anyway, to get some info on it, please export and upload the registry entries mentioned here...

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=10759.msg78014#msg78014

Cosworth

« Reply #113 on: 1 May '10 - 12:41 »
I don't see the problem on XP SP3, so I don't think it's a general issue with that. Do you perhaps have some special shell stuff installed? Anyway, to get some info on it, please export and upload the registry entries mentioned here...

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=10759.msg78014#msg78014

Done :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: 3 May '10 - 15:37 »
Those registry entries look fine too, like in winner's case on Win7. Are the files shown as "XMPlay-able" in Explorer, and does double-clicking on them result in them being opened with XMPlay? For some further info, please also export and upload these registry branches...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3

Cosworth

« Reply #115 on: 3 May '10 - 19:12 »
Those registry entries look fine too, like in winner's case on Win7. Are the files shown as "XMPlay-able" in Explorer, and does double-clicking on them result in them being opened with XMPlay?
Yes, they are like files XMPlay, and also open fine :) Sorry, but I forgot to say, "Add to XMPlay" is showing by right-click on music folders.

For some further info, please also export and upload these registry branches...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3

done :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: 4 May '10 - 15:02 »
Those registry entries look quite normal too (assuming XMPlay is in C:\Program Files\XMPlay\), so I don't really know what could be going wrong. Can you post a screenshot of what you see when right-clicking on an "XMPlay-able" file?

One thing I do notice is that you have changed the icon. I don't suppose that should affect this, but just in case, you could try deleting the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\DefaultIcon" registry branch.

Cosworth

« Reply #117 on: 4 May '10 - 18:12 »
Those registry entries look quite normal too (assuming XMPlay is in C:\Program Files\XMPlay\), so I don't really know what could be going wrong. Can you post a screenshot of what you see when right-clicking on an "XMPlay-able" file?

One thing I do notice is that you have changed the icon. I don't suppose that should affect this, but just in case, you could try deleting the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\DefaultIcon" registry branch.

After change an icon, I see "add to XMPlay" on files. Thank you Ian :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: 5 May '10 - 15:33 »
That's strange. I don't think the icon choice should have that effect, but... oh well :)

Cosworth

« Reply #119 on: 5 May '10 - 18:49 »
Thats funny, but it's gone again) I think, best way, is reinstall win :)

piovrauz

« Reply #120 on: 6 May '10 - 16:43 »
I don't know it's if an xmplay bug, but I found out that if I open a directory (using the right-click on open button and  choosing the directory), the next time I do the same the directory won't be remembered if its name contains characters like "÷". I'm on XP sp2 (or sp3, on another box) and my langage is .it. Is it possible to fix this or I have to change language? ;)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: 7 May '10 - 18:04 »
Here's an update that should sort it...

Dotpitch

« Reply #122 on: 9 May '10 - 11:40 »
I've uploaded two files with tag problems, Hera Bj÷rk and Marcin Mrozi˝ski. They can both be played, but the title and the Artist field are truncated after the funky character in the APEv2 tag. In addition, the second file crashes XMPlay when opening its track info.

piovrauz

« Reply #123 on: 10 May '10 - 10:52 »
Prrrfect. Fixed beautifully ;) Thanks a lot.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: 10 May '10 - 14:40 »
I've uploaded two files with tag problems, Hera Bj÷rk and Marcin Mrozi˝ski. They can both be played, but the title and the Artist field are truncated after the funky character in the APEv2 tag. In addition, the second file crashes XMPlay when opening its track info.

The truncated APEv2 tag problem is due to ANSI characters being used in them instead of UTF-8 (which is what APEv2 tags are supposed to use). Here's an update that will check for that...

Let me know if it still gives you any trouble.