Author Topic: [Win7 x64] XMplay high cpu / memory usage  (Read 3171 times)

SuperMario

[Win7 x64] XMplay high cpu / memory usage
« on: 4 Nov '10 - 10:35 »
Hi i have a laptop with win7 x64 and i'm having some issues with xmplay lately. Xmplay [having directsound as output] constantly uses 60-70% from my 1 of 2 cores and it's memory usage reaches up to 19MBs!simply by playing an mp3...
So i've tried running it with xp sp2 compatibility, which fixed my high spu usage, but it's still using too much memory [19MB]...i'm using the latest official build [3.5.1]

On the other hand, on my xp machine, everything is normal...low cpu usage combined with low memory [below 5MB]

Chinese Sausage

Re: [Win7 x64] XMplay high cpu / memory usage
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov '10 - 14:05 »
I am not really sure about your issue. However, feel free to try it with the latest stuff version in a separate folder. Have you tried it with the latest DirectSound? And how about the latest WASAPI or ASIO outputs?
« Last Edit: 4 Nov '10 - 14:09 by Chinese Sausage »

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov '10 - 06:07 »
What input plugins do you have, were you running visualizations and was XMPlay done scanning your library folder (Options and stuff > Library)? The CPU usage is excessive, but XMPlay has no problems with Win7 x64, so running it in compatibility mode is not the correct solution.

SuperMario

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov '10 - 09:33 »
What input plugins do you have, were you running visualizations and was XMPlay done scanning your library folder (Options and stuff > Library)? The CPU usage is excessive, but XMPlay has no problems with Win7 x64, so running it in compatibility mode is not the correct solution.
I'm not in my home pc right now, so i can't tell you about my input plugins. But i had no visualizations running, and i don't have set up a library folder.
High cpu was noted during playback ONLY.
Well, according to microsoft, running xmplay in compatibility mode is  the correct solution..(if you right-click on the .exe and select "troubleshoot compatibility" it suggests running it in XP SP2 comp. mode.. ???)
i know it works ok with win7, but i was experiencing the problems i mentioned, so i thought i should try this out to see what's gonna happen.

I am not really sure about your issue. However, feel free to try it with the latest stuff version in a separate folder. Have you tried it with the latest DirectSound? And how about the latest WASAPI or ASIO outputs?

I already had the latest directsound..
I also tried wasapi & directsound with the latest stuff version,
which seemed to be working ok with both outputs. memory was around 4-8 mb and the cpu was lower..way lower than the 50% i was getting.
i have to test it more though, so i'll comment back with more accurate results

saga

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov '10 - 13:23 »
according to microsoft
I'm rather sure Microsoft doesn't give troubleshooting help for XMPlay. ;D
There is certainly no need to run XMPlay in compat mode on Win7 x64, so the problem must be related to a plugin or a driver.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov '10 - 13:57 »
I already had the latest directsound..
I also tried wasapi & directsound with the latest stuff version,
which seemed to be working ok with both outputs. memory was around 4-8 mb and the cpu was lower..way lower than the 50% i was getting.
i have to test it more though, so i'll comment back with more accurate results

Please also try the default output, ie. not using any output plugin.

SuperMario

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov '10 - 14:18 »
glad to say that after a lot of tests, the stuff version works great, no matter the output!Either it is the default output,wasapi or directsound, xmplay works as expected!low memory & low-to-nothing cpu!

thank you all for your help & suggestions!