Author Topic: Eee gads! Where do I start?  (Read 2989 times)

Starkman

Eee gads! Where do I start?
« on: 29 Nov '10 - 22:47 »
Hello all,

I know this is a developer's site, but perhaps you can steer me in the right direction.

I'm an amateur music composer, and I've never worked with notation software (which I think I've finally settled the program I'll use); however, I know virtually nothing about digital music, digital recording studio programs, this, that and the other, particularly in regard to what I need in order to have my orchestral and jazz playbacks sound good.

To compose, I'm probably going to use Finale PrintMusic 2011 (the scaled-down version of Finale 6), which comes with something called SmartMusic SoftSynth and not Garritan. SmartMusic doesn't have the sound that Garritan has—something I discovered after I realized that I had been using the big daddy Finale demo, which uses Garritan. Finale PrintMusic playback is okay but nothing compared to Garritan.

So, here's what I need help with. How do I get started learning about the complexities of digital sound, particularly in regard to composing? Where on the Internet are good places to crash-course learn about this subject. (Eventually, I'd like to learn about the recording-studio end of this, but that's down the road.) Further, I know about Winamp and RealPlayer (as programs that play music), but that's about it in the utility department. I'm not sure how these come into play with regard to sound, so any info on that matter would, as well, be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Starkman

Starkman

Re: Eee gads! Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov '10 - 23:57 »
Okay, I'm doing a crash-course learning using Wiki to learn about a lot of what I've asked above, but I will still appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Starkman