Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.7  (Read 269748 times)

Chinese Sausage

Suggestions for 3.7
« on: 24 Dec '10 - 14:01 »
Suggestions for 3.7

Pike84

Re: Suggestions for 3.7
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec '10 - 14:14 »
An easy start, from the other thread (and hopefully rather for 3.6.1. :)), expanding cue sheets and mods with subsongs into virtual tracks.

[edit]I guess Dotpitch could just copy the previous list, minus the features already implemented. It's his list, so I'll leave it to him :).
« Last Edit: 24 Dec '10 - 14:16 by Pike84 »

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec '10 - 14:25 »
I suggested before (and once again) "Flash current track in playlist/library", as the actual song sometimes gets lost on the shuffle, especially with larger playlists, and this way is a easier to locate the track being played and, consequentially, the next tracks:

For those who regularly use the extended playlist and library, is lot easier on the eyes, don't you think? :)
« Last Edit: 24 Dec '10 - 14:29 by Chinese Sausage »

Pike84

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec '10 - 14:51 »
Sounds fine as an option, but you can move the playlist to the position of the current track by pressing Ctrl+up/down arrow (by default), if you didn't know ;).

Jace

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec '10 - 15:44 »
is lot easier on the eyes, don't you think? :)
Not really, no. Personally I find it unnecessarily distracting. But I'm in no way opposed to making it a user-selectable option. Just make sure the blinking rate doesn't match either the paused time OR the play/pause button blink frequency. ;D

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec '10 - 16:24 »
Not really, no. Personally I find it unnecessarily distracting. But I'm in no way opposed to making it a user-selectable option. Just make sure the blinking rate doesn't match either the paused time OR the play/pause button blink frequency. ;D

How about configurable adjustment of the blink frequency?  (Zero would equal noblink.)

wrkq

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec '10 - 12:21 »
Yeah, yeah, it's a bit too late for Christmas wishes... but what about adding support for password-protected archives to the compression plugins? Yeah, having the password request popup again when you restart the player next time would be a bit annoying, but I think it's less annoying than an "unpack, play, delete" loop...

Knurek

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec '10 - 19:01 »
How about adding a discwrite option to the RMB playlist menu, which would automatically render the selected tune using, let's say, standard Wave Writer device.
No dabbling in the option screen, just right click and enjoy (later on, on a portable player which doesn't handle MOD files for instance).

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec '10 - 19:25 »
1) Play from library (bypass Playlist)
2) Replace playlist to start playing directly

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec '10 - 22:49 »
Sounds fine as an option, but you can move the playlist to the position of the current track by pressing Ctrl+up/down arrow (by default), if you didn't know ;).

I was not aware of the keyboard shortcut, it is good too know :). However I did right-click the scroller on the playlist and on the library whenever I wanted to summon the current track. It would be nicer though to have the flashing of the track as a user-selectable option.

How about configurable adjustment of the blink frequency?  (Zero would equal noblink.)

A good idea! :)

Bjossi

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan '11 - 02:27 »
I was just wondering, are there any plans to make support for common codecs like flac natively built into the program? It seems odd to me that umx and ogg playback is natively supported but commonly used codecs like flac, aac, etc. require a plugin. Is this maybe a legal issue?

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan '11 - 03:08 »
Perhaps because it is to not affect the size of the program. But I cannot see why it is not added in the xmplay.zip file, just like the wma and cd audio plugins, as flac is a very common audio filetype. And besides, it is only 22.5kb in size.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan '11 - 18:38 by Chinese Sausage »

Dotpitch

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan '11 - 06:20 »
It seems odd to me that umx and ogg playback is natively supported but commonly used codecs like flac, aac, etc. require a plugin. Is this maybe a legal issue?
UMX files are just packaged modules (MOD/S3M/IT/XM). xmp-flac could be built into XMPlay, good idea. xmp-aac is released under GPL, which indeed is a problem in this case.

Cepera

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan '11 - 12:21 »
Suggestion? Localization  :)

tongub

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan '11 - 13:57 »
permanent option for of placement in playlist or extended playlist when adding new files, either replace the entire playlist, add to the bottom, top or the current selected track.

and the most important one imo :

Multi tab playlist.

en

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan '11 - 15:11 »
In the playlist window, add more Explorer type multiple selection keyboard controls:
- shift + down: expand selection from current item to item below it
- shift + up: expand selection from current item to item above it or, if selections above current selection already exists, remove current selection.
(Somewhat hard to explain, just try shift+up/down to select multiple files in Explorer and you'll see what I mean)

I also repeat the request for option to disable blinking of current time in track when paused. Pausing stops the sound, so any visual cue for pause mode seems pretty redundant.

Dotpitch

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan '11 - 17:22 »
In the playlist window, add more Explorer type multiple selection keyboard controls:
- shift + down: expand selection from current item to item below it
- shift + up: expand selection from current item to item above it or, if selections above current selection already exists, remove current selection.
That's already implemented. Go to Options and stuff > Shortcuts, select 'List nav - Select extend up/down' from the dropdown box and add Shift+up/down arrow as shortcut key.

mateczko

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan '11 - 18:06 »
Option for playing a random song in the m3u/pls playlist when opening the program via the m3u/pls playlist, instead of the first one in the m3u/pls playlist.

SmartOne

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan '11 - 18:57 »
Support for RTSP streaming protocol.

bronth

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan '11 - 21:11 »
Support for DVD-Audio (for example via existing WinAmp plugin which currently doesn't see IFO/AOB files when used with xmplay) and DTS-CD (since there already was/is a native AC3 decoder, and xmplay can handle multichannel and even optionally downmix it to stereo). Am I dreaming?  8)

amit

« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan '11 - 21:12 »
Ian, can you add a syntax for rating criteria in the "find window"/"find quick"?

Thanks  ;)
%Rating=1 %Rating=3 ....
%R1,%R2,%R3...
*1,*2,*3...

I would choose a generic syntax to represent library technical info. This way  leaves an opening  for other requests regarding more library "tags" in the future ;)

OK. That will need some thought, so probably best not to rush it in for the 3.6 release. Perhaps something for 3.6.1 :)

Is it already time for 3.6.1 ? What do you think? ;)

mlksa

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan '11 - 12:19 »
Hi. I just need XMPlay to keep/write an mp3 online radio on my local hard drive :)

I tried VLC player and Winamp, they both fail even to play this radio, while XMPlay works just fine.

However I need to write mp3 compressed stream, not a plain PCM wav file, because of drive space. It would be nice just to sink captured mp3 stream from the station to disk... no recompression need...

Another weird thing is that autoname won't work when you reconnect and write the same http/mp3 stream to hdd. In my case XMPlay just wrote over to the existing file name where I kept my previous capture, about a hour of sound, resulting its loss.

it would be nice to add something like this:

GetLocalTime(&time);
char filename[512];
wsprintf(filename, "%s %02d%02d", chStationName, time.hours, time.minutes);
hFile = CreateFileA( filename, ...

or ask me for existing file overwrite.

Also it would be nice to improve reconnect behavior.

Dotpitch

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan '11 - 12:31 »
Hi. I just need XMPlay to keep/write an mp3 online radio on my local hard drive. ... It would be nice just to sink captured mp3 stream from the station to disk... no recompression need...
Put the stream in the playlist, right-click it and select 'Write to disk'. This will save the original stream to a local file, and it should continue writing even after a reconnect.

mlksa

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan '11 - 16:59 »
Thank you very much :) It works. I thought this context menu item is the same as if I set Output Options to "play" to a file instead of sound card.

Just For My Memory

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan '11 - 06:18 »
Just found out that XMPlay has been ported to PortableApps.com

And I also found this...

I know XMPlay needs to be lightweight. But can Ian add 256x256px icon size to program, please?
To make it look more attractive... really. The current icon is pretty old and not-so-beautiful. :)