Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.7  (Read 269689 times)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Suggestions for 3.7
« Reply #650 on: 21 Dec '12 - 17:13 »
Is there a particular reason that you're interested in Foobar plugin support, eg. is there a plugin for some file format that neither XMPlay or Winamp currently has?

winner

« Reply #651 on: 21 Dec '12 - 20:44 »
 ;D Congratulations and thanks to all for producing XMPlay version 3.7! The developers and community have made many, many improvements since the last major release and XMPlay is better than ever! Truly, this is UN4SEEN magnificence!!!

amit

« Reply #652 on: 21 Dec '12 - 23:00 »
Is there a particular reason that you're interested in Foobar plugin support, eg. is there a plugin for some file format that neither XMPlay or Winamp currently has?

Two input plugins: DVD-A and SACD formats.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #653 on: 23 Dec '12 - 15:41 »
I haven't tried it myself, but this plugin looks like it may provide some of what you're after?

www.winamp.com/plugin/mlp-truehd-decoder/221516

garson

« Reply #654 on: 23 Dec '12 - 23:18 »
Maybe it's time for native DVD-A & SACD plugins? These high-res formats are not exsotic anymore. ;)

saga

« Reply #655 on: 24 Dec '12 - 11:38 »
People are still using optical media? I would expect them to become very exotic again pretty soon, if they ever lost their exotic status...

amit

« Reply #656 on: 24 Dec '12 - 21:55 »
Saga, mlp(dvda) and dsd(sacd) are digital formats like any other and are not binded to optical media exclusively.

garson

« Reply #657 on: 25 Dec '12 - 23:39 »
People are still using optical media? I would expect them to become very exotic again pretty soon, if they ever lost their exotic status...
Well, most music still comes from optical media. There is some high res music (mostly flac) that you can buy online (HD Tracks).
I would like if we could buy SACD or DVD-A disks in form of image files, but that is not still possible.

White-Tiger

« Reply #658 on: 29 Dec '12 - 18:19 »
[...]
The update above includes a little change to tryout... if the connection has timed-out while paused, XMPlay will discard the remaining data and reconnect/restart the stream upon resuming.
It behaves as intended, thanks :).
[...]
well.. that's your opinion.. but not mine :P Actually a nice feature got removed :( (which btw. made XMPlay slower... mostly unnoticeable but still ;))
What was the problem with that feature? I mean, XMPlay played some old audio data for some seconds and then reconnected and thus played the "live" data again.

A nice usage for this feature was, for example, when you hear a song but don't know the name. So you could pause it and open up a software that could detect it, record it or just call someone who might know that song. So you've got unlimited time to do so and not just a few seconds (mostly 30 seconds but some streams might kill the connection faster)

So now I have to live with that feature removed (I call it a feature even though it wasn't implemented as such, but actually the removement is a "feature" which requires more computations) but I know for sure that it will break my neck soon.

saga

« Reply #659 on: 29 Dec '12 - 19:20 »
A nice usage for this feature was, for example, when you hear a song but don't know the name. So you could pause it and open up a software that could detect it, record it or just call someone who might know that song. So you've got unlimited time to do so and not just a few seconds (mostly 30 seconds but some streams might kill the connection faster)
Why would you want to pause the song in that case, though? Just start the Write to Disk feature - with MP3/AAC streams, it will instantly start recording without reconnecting in 3.7.

White-Tiger

« Reply #660 on: 29 Dec '12 - 19:37 »
Why would you want to pause the song in that case, though? Just start the Write to Disk feature - with MP3/AAC streams, it will instantly start recording without reconnecting in 3.7.
actually I don't know the "Write to Disk feature" and I can't find it :P The only "easy" way I know for recording, is to change the Output device to eg. WAV writer or MP3,OGG,Opus or what ever encoder you've got. It's just complicated as you have to change the output device and change it back over time as well (and you won't hear what you r recording), then play that recorded file to let another software detect the song. But you might still pause it first to not loose "important" parts of that song besides pausing the playback can be done with a single click ;) You might be playing a game or doing something else which you don't want to interrupt yet.

I'm also mostly using OGG Vorbis streams ;) And Opus once it's used by radio stations. So "Write to Disk" might not work for me anyway.

Edit: you mean "File writing" at the Output tab? Haven't tried it yet... but it's still slower and complicated
« Last Edit: 29 Dec '12 - 19:42 by White-Tiger »

saga

« Reply #661 on: 29 Dec '12 - 19:44 »
Write to disk can be accessed from the conext menu of any stream playlist entry. Write to disk will still work better than pausing the stream, which will leave you with a snippet of a few seconds of old audio data from the buffer, while write to disk will capture the whole stream from the point you start the diskwriting process. Especially with the "NetBufferOld=<n>" hidden INI setting, diskwriting is the clear winner, because that feature will also write the previously played <n> seconds to disk (obviously this also only works with MP3/AAC streams).

Dotpitch

« Reply #662 on: 30 Dec '12 - 10:07 »
So now I have to live with that feature removed (I call it a feature even though it wasn't implemented as such, but actually the removement is a "feature" which requires more computations) but I know for sure that it will break my neck soon.
On Options and stuff > Miscellaneous, set the streaming Timeout to something like 30 seconds (or more). If you pause a stream and resume it within that time, XMPlay won't flush the buffer.

'Write to disk' is in the track context menu, and is also accessible via the shortcut 'Current track - Write to disk'.