Author Topic: "virtual cable" software app?  (Read 3927 times)

Mike B

"virtual cable" software app?
« on: 22 Jan '11 - 21:01 »
Prob a very dumb question but : Is there any way that the bass.dll could be used to create a "virtual cable" type application (using VB6)?

In other words - be able to record any speaker output on a system that the sound card does not support "Stereo Mix, What U Hear, etc...).

Any suggestions/ example would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Bert

Re: "virtual cable" software app?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan '11 - 16:55 »
I don't think, that this is easy.
You need to develop a windows driver for that. A virtual soundcard.
Driver Development is very hard work.
Probably this could be your starting point:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/WDK/default.mspx

Chris

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan '11 - 12:37 »
Hi
 I don`t thing that VB is a right Solution to build a Virtual or real Driver.
 So that must build in C++ or net.
By the way which Soundcard doesn`t have What you here / Stereomix ???
I don`t know one....
Chris
« Last Edit: 27 Jan '11 - 17:59 by Chris »

Mike B

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan '11 - 13:58 »
eGreetings,
Well.. that's what I thought (need to have an actual driver) but just grasping at straws.
Thought that MAYBE you could capture any sound coming out of the speakers and then save to memory and/ or convert to WAV.

There are several apps that will do this (i.e. RealRecorder, FreeCorder Toolbar, etc...) but don't have a clue how.

What sound cards do not support "stereo mix"? Most all Windows 7 systems (laptops) do not support;-(

Chris

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan '11 - 14:23 »

What sound cards do not support "stereo mix"? Most all Windows 7 systems (laptops) do not support;-(
Thats wrong.
You must activate StereoMix/What you here under Speaker Settings.(Steromix,what you here are hiden under windows7/vista)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan '11 - 14:27 »
What Windows version(s) are you targetting? If Vista and above, there is a new "loopback" recording feature that you could use to capture the output mix. BASS includes support for that, but currently undocumented. If you would like to try it, you can find details here...

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=8816.msg60868#msg60868

The feature is also available via the BASSWASAPI add-on...

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=11170

Note this is not quite the same thing as a "virtual cable", eg. a "virtual cable" allows the possibility of getting the output from individual apps, whereas the loopback recording (or Stereo Mix/etc) captures the mix of everything using the same output device.

Mike B

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan '11 - 14:01 »
WOW - I think this is exactly what I've been looking for - A BIG THANK YOU!

Now to try to impliment it - any VB6 demo? (I know that would be asking for a lot but never hurts to ask? ;-)

Thanks again,
mikeB

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan '11 - 15:10 »
No, I'm afraid there aren't any examples for loopback recording currently. If you are already familiar with using the BASS recording functions, there won't be much difference to that. The big difference to be aware of is that you can't use arbitrary sample formats; the requested format (freq/chans in the BASS_RecordStart call) must match the output device's format (available from BASS_GetInfo). If you need other sample formats, you could use the BASSmix add-on to resample the data, but that can wait until after you have got the loopback recording working :)

Mike B

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan '11 - 14:57 »
Ian - Thanks for the info: your support is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Have never worked with the bass.dll, and looks complicated, but if it will do what I need to get done will work night and day trying to impliment;-) Will "give back" by posting the completed code, in VB6, for anyone that wants it.

Just one last question: simple and to the point =

You are saying that it should be possible to create an audio recorder that will capture/ record any/ all speaker output without the systems' soundcard having "stereo mix/ what u hear, etc..." as a record source option? (a Wins Vista & 7 app). That is what I need to do.

Have a GREAT day.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan '11 - 16:08 »
You are saying that it should be possible to create an audio recorder that will capture/ record any/ all speaker output without the systems' soundcard having "stereo mix/ what u hear, etc..." as a record source option? (a Wins Vista & 7 app). That is what I need to do.

That is correct, so long as the app(s) producing the sound are using normal Windows audio output, eg. DirectSound or WaveOut. It won't be possible to capture ASIO or exclusive mode WASAPI output.