Author Topic: Any plans to support WinRT in Windows 8?  (Read 2498 times)

iancast

Any plans to support WinRT in Windows 8?
« on: 24 Oct '11 - 18:20 »
Hi,

I was wondering if you plan to support the new WinRT (Windows Runtime) library for Windows 8 which will replace Win32 for Metro-style applications.

Basically, Win32 will still be supported in Windows 8, but if you want to make a Metro-style application on the new Windows App Store, you'll have to use the WinRT library or your application will be rejected. If I'm not mistaken, only WinRT is supported on Slate (read: Tablet) devices with ARM processors, so that's the reason why.

So, do you have an plan to make a WinRT version of BASS/BASS.NET? :)

For more information, check this article out: http://dougseven.com/2011/09/15/a-bad-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-long-discussions/

Thanks!

radio42

Re: Any plans to support WinRT in Windows 8?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct '11 - 22:05 »
Maybe on one day...but I guess today no real plans do exist on the Bass.Net side.
And if 'it is true what is written in the posted article link' you might already use the existing Bass.Net library - if its the exact same .Net CLR and MSIL code - then there would be no need to provide any specials for Bass.Net.
But note, .Net 4.5 is not officially out, Win8 is not officially out, WinRT API is not officially out...so I guess there is some time...

iancast

Re: Any plans to support WinRT in Windows 8?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct '11 - 22:55 »
Maybe on one day...but I guess today no real plans do exist on the Bass.Net side.
And if 'it is true what is written in the posted article link' you might already use the existing Bass.Net library - if its the exact same .Net CLR and MSIL code - then there would be no need to provide any specials for Bass.Net.
But note, .Net 4.5 is not officially out, Win8 is not officially out, WinRT API is not officially out...so I guess there is some time...

Hi,

Actually you CAN use Win32 in Metro-style applications but it won't run on ARM processors (Win32 requires x86/x64) for Slate devices. I did a Metro prototype for my application last month using my current playback engine (FMOD) and it worked fine, but that's on a PC. DirectSound, ASIO and WASAPI were working fine.

Your .NET wrapper might not change that much, but BASS.dll would change since every Win32 method must be replaced by a WinRT method. I'm not sure how DirectSound is called from WinRT, maybe it can be ported to WinRT easily. From what I've read, WinRT isn't managed code but it is much closer to .NET in design than Win32 was.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!