Author Topic: List of streaming radio stations  (Read 17995 times)

jballi

List of streaming radio stations
« on: 2 May '12 - 04:40 »
A while back I found a list of internet radio stations (>8,000 stations, tab delimited flat file) and the author gave credit to this forum and/or to Ian for the list.  I did a quick search and could not find any such list.

Does anyone know of any such list and where I can get me hands on it?  If not, does any know where I can download or subscribe to such a list?

Thank you for your assistance.
« Last Edit: 2 May '12 - 08:20 by jballi »

Dotpitch

Re: List of streaming radio stations
« Reply #1 on: 2 May '12 - 17:19 »
I couldn't find such a list on this forum either.

Shoutcast obviously has a large directory of streams, but you need a developer ID to access the database.
Screamer Radio has a large database of streams as well. The folks over there can probably help you out.

[edit]Post 2222! ;D[/edit]

jdg2011

« Reply #2 on: 3 May '12 - 08:59 »
What exactly are you seeking, the tabbed MySQL flat file export? or access to the MySQL DB?
There is Screamer-Radio, Radio Sure, and inLight Radio all have a large selection of stations...
Have a good one :)
« Last Edit: 3 May '12 - 09:50 by jdg2011 »

jballi

« Reply #3 on: 4 May '12 - 18:34 »
I couldn't find such a list on this forum either.

Shoutcast obviously has a large directory of streams, but you need a developer ID to access the database.
Shoutcast has one of the best internet radio station directories out there (54,000+ stations) but 1) the directory only contains Shoutcast stations and 2) Shoutcast has gone full-blown proprietary on use.  Like you mentioned, accessing the Shoutcast Radio directory requires a Developer ID which requires that you register and sign a license agreement.  Even with a Developer ID, I've read from many many sources that you are restricted to a limited number of times you can access the directory per day (~20) before the API stops working.

Screamer Radio has a large database of streams as well. The folks over there can probably help you out.
Screamer Radio has a decent directory.  4,007 stations at last count.  It appears that the database is being updated, just not very frequently.  According the forum (2009 post), the dude/dudette who was updating the database has gone Sarah Palin (i.e., rogue).

What exactly are you seeking, the tabbed MySQL flat file export? or access to the MySQL DB?
There is Screamer-Radio, Radio Sure, and inLight Radio all have a large selection of stations...
Have a good one :)
The players and station directories for Radio Sure and inLight Radio are so similar that I wonder if they are not from the same developer.  The directories are excellent.  There are ~20,000 stations listed.

It's pretty easy to use a copy of the databases from any one of these vendors but 1) the data would be static (i.e. no legitimate way to provide updates) and most importantly, 2) the directories belong to these vendors.  They use these directories to market their players and/or advertisements on their web sites.

What I was hoping to find is an open-sourced directory similar to ICECast.  ICECast is a good start but like Shoutcast, it only contains ICECast stations.  The ideal would a directory with a web presence similar to Shoutcast or ICECast where the community could search and update the directory.  In addition, a user/developer could download the some/all of the directory in a number of formats.  From a performance perspective, you can't beat a preformatted flat file.  Although a true database has its advantages, it might be overkill for a list of internet radio stations.

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll keep looking.

sam12

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct '12 - 16:44 »
myself i prefer smaller sites with good content like www.yourock.fm, www.dominican.fm or www.house-music.fm instead of these radio databases with thousands of radio stations

Dollz

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr '14 - 00:12 »
Yeah, my station is listed with Streamfinder also. But anyone can feel free to add my station to their listings: Urban HotSpot http://www.urbanhotspotradio.com