Author Topic: XMPlay Stuff Updater. A convenient way to update XMPlay in One Click!  (Read 7465 times)

GreatIdeas Software

Hello to everyone!

I have developed a very simple update checker for XMPlay, called "XMPlay Stuff Updater". As said by the name, this application connects to the Un4Seen Developments website and checks for the latest Stuff Version of XMPlay. Not much to say.

It's done using WinRAR, some C code and the dependency of WGET for Windows.

There are some limitations and Known Bugs:

• The main app can't be renamed to "updater.exe", because the main app decompresses another one called as the same, it causes conflict.
    It's overweighted, in my point of view. It should weight 512-700KB, it weights really 1700KB.

Download:

Program: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146027/XMPlay%20WebCheckup/WebCheckup.exe
Source code: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62146027/XMPlay%20WebCheckup/xmplayget-noprompt.c

Don't say to me "Your coding skills are poor", I'm learning recently C. Hope you like it.

raina

I've been using this update.cmd (lately in combination with the Windows Task Scheduler):
Code: [Select]
@wget -N http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe
Of course this has the same dependency on GNU Wget. Yours just has it packaged with the app, which is both convenient and problematic. Wget is free software licensed under GPL which broadly generalized means you have to be transparent about using it in your software. This looks like it would be simple enough because you're just calling the pre-compiled Wget binary from your code. IANAL but I think you're in the clear if you don't hide the Wget files inside your .exe and you also have to include the license and other documentation that come with it.

EDIT: With that said, a comment about the actual app. I like the clean UI (the source code of which doesn't seem to be included if I'm not mistaken) and the effort made to close running XMPlay instances to allow Wget to overwrite the binary. I guess that's about it. Does what it says on the tin, just a bit messy behind the scenes. I'd rather stick to a mess I made myself. ;D
« Last Edit: 30 Nov '12 - 08:42 by raina »

GreatIdeas Software

Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec '12 - 15:43 »
Your feedback is important to enhance this little app. What it needs to tune up?

moriez

Does a fine job at what it's intented for so thanks for that.

Maybe not totally fair for you but I would like to make the suggestion to just implement this stuff updater in XMPLAY.
The 'check for updates' is quite useless as it is right now. Looking ahead, maybe an undo function to be able to revert to the previous version in case something's broken.

FB

How about adding support for "stuff" versions of plugins or something like that?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Here's an XMPlay update that includes the option of receiving notification of new "stuff" versions...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

To enable the notifications, add an "UpdateStuff=1" line to your XMPLAY.INI file.

Astral Soup Design

How about adding support for "stuff" versions of plugins or something like that?

It remembers me to the long-abandoned "Download&Go" project for the XMPlay Unlimited package.

moriez

Here's an XMPlay update that includes the option of receiving notification of new "stuff" versions...

To enable the notifications, add an "UpdateStuff=1" line to your XMPLAY.INI file.

Niiice!

xaos

Not sure if I'm blind, but, as the 'stuff' notification does work, it also seems to notify of plugin 'stuff' versions, and was wondering if it's possible, or there's a place to download those from as well, or would they be considered too unstable? (as it is, it's still a bit of a hunt to find the 'stuff' version download link )

Also, does that setting ignore release updates to plugins and/or XMPlay itself?

raina

Maybe the updated items should be clickable, with the respective download links.

moriez

Good suggestion from raina. Right now it's a mere notification. I have no idea where to look for for example WASAPI rev.3d.

garson

Good suggestion from raina. Right now it's a mere notification. I have no idea where to look for for example WASAPI rev.3d.
http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-wasapi.dll

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Yep, the plugin updates are located in the "stuff" directory on the server, alongside the XMPlay updates. So if you're familiar with the XMPlay "stuff" updates (as you would have to be to have enabled the "stuff" notifications :)), you can simply replace the "xmplay.exe" in the URL with the plugin's filename.

To clarify, when "stuff" update notifications are enabled, the usual release notifications will still be delivered too.

xaos

Nice, thanks Ian.

moriez

Thanks garson.

Yep, the plugin updates are located in the "stuff" directory on the server, alongside the XMPlay updates. So if you're familiar with the XMPlay "stuff" updates (as you would have to be to have enabled the "stuff" notifications :)), you can simply replace the "xmplay.exe" in the URL with the plugin's filename.

Good to know. But still, it would be much more convenient to check for updates in XMPLAY, have them displayed and get them with a click. Do-able?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
One issue with having XMPlay automatically download the updates is that they can be in different locations, eg. 3rd-party plugins may be hosted on different servers, and perhaps the exact locations could sometimes change. So it's safer to have the user visit the XMPlay webpage and follow the links from there. To make it easier to locate/download the "stuff" updates, perhaps there could be a link to them on the XMPlay webpage too. I'll look into that.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Links to the "stuff" updates are now included at the bottom of the XMPlay webpage.

moriez

Dhry

I periodically use this tool to update to the latest "stuff" version, but today when I ran it it threw an error 404 - not found. Does it need to be updated in some way?

Edit: Oh. It's apparently because http://www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe doesn't exist.

DRS

Jace

And the reason it doesn't work:
Yep, a "stuff" version isn't available currently as the release version (3.8.1.12) on the XMPlay webpage is the latest.

Dhry

Sorry for the thread necromancy here, but re-requesting this because I think it would be very useful - can we have the Stuff Updater check for and download latest versions of plugins as well as the main xmplay executable please? This would save having to download and extract these files manually each time XMPlay indicates that new versions are available. I use the stuff updater all the time.

Cheers
DRS

Astral Soup Design

Sorry for the thread necromancy here, but re-requesting this because I think it would be very useful - can we have the Stuff Updater check for and download latest versions of plugins as well as the main xmplay executable please? This would save having to download and extract these files manually each time XMPlay indicates that new versions are available. I use the stuff updater all the time.

Cheers
DRS

First of all, I have to confess I (Nicolas Bahamondes) am the author of XMPlay Stuff Updater, if you don't knew it.
This little tool has been developed using dirty tricks in Codeblocks - direct calls to the Command Prompt alongside a WGET executable.

I don't promise anything. I'll see what can I do for you.

Astral Soup Design

DEPRECATED!
« Reply #22 on: 27 May '16 - 07:33 »
Please notice this program is now deprecated.
The brand new version 4.0 is up in another thread.

Dhry

So people can find it easily, the new thread is here:
https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=17200.0