Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.8  (Read 76760 times)

Chinese Sausage

Suggestions for 3.8
« on: 25 Dec '12 - 08:41 »
Suggestions for 3.8

Deb

Re: Suggestions for 3.8
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec '12 - 15:25 »
Merry Christmas! And thank you for this marvelous present!

I was wondering if one of my pet peeves, that is, the inability to remove dead links from the url drop-down menu in a straightforward manner (without having to edit the xmplay.ini file) could be addressed.

Thank you.

JBB666

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec '12 - 16:31 »
Here's a suggestion for 3.8. Have a Happy Holiday and don't worry about 3.8 until later! Thank you for XMPlay 3.7.

---JBB666---

don47

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec '12 - 23:07 »
At first a big thank to the developer for this wonderful software! I use it for some years now and like it for its lightness, responsiveness, stability and clever feature set.

But ... may I mention one big feature request?

I am missing some sort of a playlist preview, kind of a playlist browser, with which I can review my several playlists and can add individual tracks from a previewed playlist to the current playlist in use.

Sometimes I can not find a track by the search function because I don't remember the track or artist name. But I know the playlist the track is in (but I don't want to load the whole playlist).

Hope it is comprehensible what I mean ...

Cheers
don47

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec '12 - 00:56 »
A big playlist-style skin as an option could help a lot. :)

robertcollier4

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec '12 - 20:17 »
Fully docked info window - allow dragging info window to move entire app.
Explained here: https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=14344.0

amit

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec '12 - 17:42 »
A big playlist-style skin as an option could help a lot. :)

Maybe combine the functionality of the extended info widow with the main window?

r

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan '13 - 08:47 »
I'd like to see something similar to what AIMP does.

Here's a screenie:

The orange "Music" line with the orange line separator shows up when you have a playlist or a directory of tracks.

AIMP also has tabbed playlists (the 'Default' tab in the screenshot), but that would potentially be a lot of work.  Hopefully the seperator idea can gain some traction!

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan '13 - 23:18 »
+1

It organizes the music files much better! (in groups by album, artist, etc.). It could be available as an option :)

mikiqex

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan '13 - 12:01 »
I wish for option for omitting "Write as..." dialog window in File write process. Use either timestamp (like YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM-SS) or track name with added "(1)", "(2)" at the end of filename - as Windows does. I often record from internet stream, where filename is always the same. I tried "Use title" and "Auto-filename" checkboxes, but I didn't noticed any difference. "Use title" option is not mentioned in File Writing chapter.

On the other hand, my biggest wish for XMP overall is to stay tiny and resource efficient - as it is right now. Many thanks for that and have a great 2013.

Dotpitch

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan '13 - 16:36 »
I tried "Use title" and "Auto-filename" checkboxes, but I didn't noticed any difference.
Correct, they apply to the WAV writer and to encoder output, not to stream writing.
"Use title" option is not mentioned in File Writing chapter.
Yep.

robertcollier4

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan '13 - 05:29 »
Feature Request: Show in taskbar and system tray both when non-minimized (/?topic=14345.0)

This is high priority request in my opinion because this breaks the ability to be able to Alt-Tab to the player when system tray icon mode is used since then it totally removes the player's taskbar entry at all times. If the player is non-minimized it should be showing in the taskbar so a user can Alt-Tab to it like a normal window! Please treat XMPlay like a normal window in Windows OS and do not break UI window consistency. I would like the icon to be in the systray- but would also like to be able to Alt-Tab into the window when it is non-minimized to the tray.

Knurek

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan '13 - 14:11 »
Ian, could we modify/add a toggle switch for Remove after playing so that XMPlay would remove the playlist entry only if it has been listened as a whole?

I love this option, but sometimes I just want to sample things I've just added without removing them or any other unfinished tracks, and it's easy to forget that the option is enabled. Since there's only one level of undo, it's not easy to rebuild the playlist when you mistakenly skip more than one track.

Thanks for the new release, solid as always. :)

raina

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jan '13 - 08:28 »
Scalable, modular GUI, either Windows-native or something cross-platform friendly. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge. Sounds admittedly more like 4.0 territory but it has been requested before and I didn't see it on the latest compiled suggestions list.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan '13 - 17:18 »
I was wondering if one of my pet peeves, that is, the inability to remove dead links from the url drop-down menu in a straightforward manner (without having to edit the xmplay.ini file) could be addressed.

I guess what you have in mind is that right-clicking on an entry in the URL list would bring up a menu with the option of removing it? I don't think Windows provides any standard way to support right-clicking on a list entry, so it would probably require hacking something together for it, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra code. The URL history is limited to 20 entries, so unwanted entries will eventually disappear from it (the least recently used are removed first).

Ian, could we modify/add a toggle switch for Remove after playing so that XMPlay would remove the playlist entry only if it has been listened as a whole?

I love this option, but sometimes I just want to sample things I've just added without removing them or any other unfinished tracks, and it's easy to forget that the option is enabled. Since there's only one level of undo, it's not easy to rebuild the playlist when you mistakenly skip more than one track.

Perhaps the scope of the "Count as played after..." setting in the "Library" options page could be extended to apply to the "Remove after playing" option too, so that tracks aren't auto-removed unless they've been played long enough to register in the play count. Here's an update to try, in which it does...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Knurek

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan '13 - 18:40 »
Perhaps the scope of the "Count as played after..." setting in the "Library" options page could be extended to apply to the "Remove after playing" option too, so that tracks aren't auto-removed unless they've been played long enough to register in the play count.

This works ideally, thank you very much. :D

robertcollier4

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan '13 - 19:00 »
Implement info extended window with same mechanics as a side panel with "pos_bottom".
Don't see why people would ever want two detached windows for the same app (i.e. player one place and info window somewhere else). Usually they would always want a complete app to stay in a contiguous area to avoid screen fragmentation.

Dotpitch

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan '13 - 19:44 »
Don't see why people would ever want two detached windows for the same app (i.e. player one place and info window somewhere else).
I have plenty of screen estate, so I don't want the Extended Playlist, Library or visualization to be width-limited by the Main Window. In addition, the Extended Playlist is usually hidden (mini-mode somewhere at the top of my screen), but when I open it I'd like it to use the centre of my screen. Both wouldn't work with a panel on the Main Window.

mikiqex

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jan '13 - 15:20 »
I don't think Windows provides any standard way to support right-clicking on a list entry, ...

You're right, but you should be able to use context menu on selected item in the combo box. The use case will be: Select item from menu, right click on the control and select "Delete" (or "Remove") option. Or you can add a new small button next to "Open URL" for removing address from the dropdown menu.

----

I found an issue in the "Write as..." dialog window: If I have the "write as separated tracks" option on (= checked), I can't simply press Enter, but I have to focus the window by mouse first. This doesn't happen when I have the checkbox unchecked. Thanks :)

saga

« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan '13 - 17:41 »
This is something I meant to bring up before, but I always forgot about it. The old MPT code contained some unfortunate "optimization" which completely changed the sample auto-vibrato fade-in (called "sweep" in FT2 or "rate" in IT2): If the fade-in value is 0, it is always interpreted as if there is no fade-in at all. In the XM format this is correct, but in the IT format, 0 means "no vibrato". I know quite a few IT modules made with MPT which make use of sample auto-vibrato with a fade-in value of 0. Of course they don't sound as intended in XMPlay. This bug has since been fixed in OpenMPT and OpenMPT also automatically detects files made with old versions of (Open)MPT to set the auto-vibrato fade-in to 255 if it's 0 for some sample in IT files, so I'd advise XMPlay to do the same. You should at least check for MPT 1.16 and early versions of OpenMPT (Cwt/v is 0217, Cmwt is 0200, reserved is 0), but possibly also for OpenMPT 1.17 (0888 in both the Cwt/v and Cmwt).

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan '13 - 23:11 »
automatic cycling of visuals similar to quintessential player.

robertcollier4

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jan '13 - 08:39 »
Don't see why people would ever want two detached windows for the same app (i.e. player one place and info window somewhere else).
I have plenty of screen estate, so I don't want the Extended Playlist, Library or visualization to be width-limited by the Main Window. In addition, the Extended Playlist is usually hidden (mini-mode somewhere at the top of my screen), but when I open it I'd like it to use the centre of my screen. Both wouldn't work with a panel on the Main Window.
Okay, I understand. Then I recommend having an option to "Lock Extended Window Position" on the right click of the Info Window. One of my biggest annoyances with XMPlay is that accidental click-dragging on the info window causes my main and info windows to become detached and misaligned- after which it requires a few times of trying to precisely align them again with my mouse to make them seem attached again. I would love to be able to position my info window once and then "lock" it in place relative to the main window.

Dotpitch

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan '13 - 16:42 »
I would love to be able to position my info window once and then "lock" it in place relative to the main window.
Ah, like 'Move with Main Window', but then 'Move with Main Window only'?

pintas

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan '13 - 21:54 »
Web remote access please!!!
This way i can ditch my other player, which is huge btw...