Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.8  (Read 76764 times)

rst

Re: Suggestions for 3.8
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan '13 - 01:53 »
following the idea to use official icons for file formats, or just the custom ones that we want, would be nice to see the little icon that we associated in the General part of the Playlist. Just centered and under the information that is shown there.

and this is my suggestion :)

tails_

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan '13 - 19:55 »
OK, one thing is bugging me for quite a while. There is a neat option called "Auto-resize". It's almost perfect, it keeps separate window sizes for playlist, visuals and tries to fit all into mod pattern display. But there's one issue, it also tries to fit anything into info/message/samples window. As result I get something like this on some XMs and tracks with built-in cue sheet. Is it possible to make it just change info window width according to limit or better, save window height from visuals window?
« Last Edit: 26 Jan '13 - 19:58 by tails_ »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan '13 - 13:23 »
I agree, it's annoying when the info window gets auto-resized to something massive (eg. full screen height), so I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but here's an update that introduces an option to limit the auto-resizing...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

tails_

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan '13 - 17:13 »
Thanks a bunch, it's perfect now ;D

xaos

« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb '13 - 08:13 »
I don't recall seeing this one anywhere ... the ability to assign a custom hotkey other than middle click to access a visualizations options screen if it has one.

Dotpitch

« Reply #30 on: 3 Feb '13 - 10:12 »
I don't recall seeing this one anywhere ... the ability to assign a custom hotkey other than middle click to access a visualizations options screen if it has one.
Since 3.7, Shift+left click on the visual does the same as midle click.

xaos

« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb '13 - 10:49 »
Was that documented somewhere that I missed it? A single keyboard button press seems more efficient, and much easier in the dark for a quick change when reaching from somewhere other than conveniently in reach of both the keyboard and the mouse.

PSXGamerPro1

« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb '13 - 17:12 »
so the URL history is limited to 20 entries, can you increase that number to 30. But before you do Ian include the the code inside the program from above and also have it allow me to load those skins that I renamed from .zip to .xmpskin.
You don't middle click you just scroll.

Dotpitch

« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb '13 - 19:22 »
Was that documented somewhere that I missed it? A single keyboard button press seems more efficient, and much easier in the dark for a quick change when reaching from somewhere other than conveniently in reach of both the keyboard and the mouse.
It's in the changelog for 3.7, it was one of the last changes in 3.6-stuff. It's actually a workaround for trackpad-users, for them the Shift-button is quite close.
I agree a keyboard shortcut could be helpful, but visuals which include a menu (like Honto's Phase) need the mouse position as well, so you need the mouse anyway.

But before you do Ian include the the code inside the program from above and also have it allow me to load those skins that I renamed from .zip to .xmpskin.
You should replace your xmplay.exe with the stuff version Ian linked to, and you'll need xmp-zip.

xaos

« Reply #34 on: 3 Feb '13 - 19:30 »
Figures. Thanks Dotpitch.

saga

« Reply #35 on: 4 Feb '13 - 12:52 »
Ian, do you have any thoughts about this post?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: 4 Feb '13 - 15:28 »
Please upload a test file to reproduce the problem with here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

saga

« Reply #37 on: 4 Feb '13 - 15:58 »
Many tracks by Xerxes made in MPT are affected by this, such as... http://files.exotica.org.uk/modland/?file=pub/modules/Impulsetracker/Xerxes/o%20chord%20where%20art%20thou.it

Right at the start, instrument 3 (on channels 1 to 3) should have an auto-vibrato. XMPlay doesn't apply a vibrato, which is correct, because the vibrato rate (fade-in) is 0. However, as explained above, old versions of MPT (like MPT 1.16, which was used to create this file) would treat a rate value of 0 the same way as a rate value of 255. Since you can easily detect if a file was made with an old version of MPT, I'd automatically fix such samples if such a version was found (as described above). It's a behaviour that can be fixed statically, i.e. it does not depend on the actual playback, so it's a simple fix to make these files play as intended.

Edit: If you are interested in more "static" fixes that can be applied to things that (Open)MPT previously has done wrong, you can have a look at the bottom of sndfile.cpp, mostly CSoundFile::UpgradeSong() and the struct above that. For example, the volume swing fix could also be interesting to add.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb '13 - 16:17 by saga »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 4 Feb '13 - 17:43 »
Thanks for the example file. Is it safe to assume that when "Cmwt" is 0x200 and "Reserved" is 0 it means the file was created by an old MPT version, and the vibrato fix should be applied?

saga

« Reply #39 on: 4 Feb '13 - 17:52 »
Cwt/v == 0x0217, Cmwt == 0x0200, reserved == 0 should detect MPT and OpenMPT 1.17 in compatible mode. Checking Cmwt and reserved alone might not be enough (i.e. IT 2.00 might falsely be detected as being MPT).
Additionally you could also check for Cwt/v == 0x0888, Cmwt == 0x0888 to detect OpenMPT 1.17 in "normal" mode.
The first public version which handled auto-vibrato correctly was OpenMPT 1.18, which no longer uses these identifaction details. OpenMPT 1.18/1.19 only fixed them in compatible playback mode, while OpenMPT 1.20 fixes it in non-compatible mode as well (using the static fixing method described above), but I think you don't need to bother with that - just stick with the fix for MPT and OpenMPT 1.17.
« Last Edit: 4 Feb '13 - 17:59 by saga »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: 5 Feb '13 - 15:10 »
OK. Here's an update to try...

It will also display "(MPT)" in the General info window to show when it thinks an IT file was created by MPT, so you can check there if it has mistakenly done so with a file that wasn't.

saga

« Reply #41 on: 5 Feb '13 - 15:32 »
Thanks a lot! Seems to work well so far.

Knurek

« Reply #42 on: 8 Feb '13 - 16:02 »
OK. Here's an update to try...

Ian, current stuff version (.16) seems to crash with either xmp-lzx.dll or xmp-mod15.dll present. Let me know if you need more details - I'm not sure how to read Win7 error dialogs, but both seem to crash in xmplay.exe StackHash_a70e module if that helps.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #43 on: 8 Feb '13 - 16:45 »
Ian, current stuff version (.16) seems to crash with either xmp-lzx.dll or xmp-mod15.dll present. Let me know if you need more details - I'm not sure how to read Win7 error dialogs, but both seem to crash in xmplay.exe StackHash_a70e module if that helps.
I just tried xmp-lzx.dll with 3.7.0.16, and it seems to work fine.  BTW, what version of that dll are you using?  The site says that it was updated on 5 Feb 2013, so it might have fixed itself already.

Knurek

« Reply #44 on: 8 Feb '13 - 18:14 »
I just tried xmp-lzx.dll with 3.7.0.16, and it seems to work fine.  BTW, what version of that dll are you using?  The site says that it was updated on 5 Feb 2013, so it might have fixed itself already.

Right you are, the new version of xmp-lzx works fine.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb '13 - 19:25 »
Well, that's half of your problem fixed!

robertcollier4

« Reply #46 on: 9 Feb '13 - 06:36 »
Hello - here is my preference of how the Settings should look for Options>Miscellaneous.

This would allow for:
- Show program in taskbar and system tray both when program is non-minimized (so that the window can be switched to with Alt+Tab)
- "Clicking the minimize button on the GUI" would then remove the taskbar entry and only show the program in the system tray.

Also, I recommend that the two shortcut keys "Minimize / restore" and "Minimize to tray / restore" be merged into one shortcut key. The behavior of "clicking the minimize button on the GUI" and "pushing the Minimize hotkey" should be controlled by the options shown above.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb '13 - 06:55 by robertcollier4 »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: 12 Feb '13 - 17:38 »
I don't think it would be a good idea for it to be possible to have XMPlay in neither the taskbar or tray (it could get lost under other stuff), but here's an update that has the option of having it in both...

When in both, XMPlay will minimize to the tray.

garson

« Reply #48 on: 12 Feb '13 - 22:53 »
I don't think it would be a good idea for it to be possible to have XMPlay in neither the taskbar or tray (it could get lost under other stuff), but here's an update that has the option of having it in both...

When in both, XMPlay will minimize to the tray.
There seems to be a bug with latest stuff. When minimised in tray (just in tray), Volume up/down via mouse scroll does not work at all.
OS is Win7 x64.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb '13 - 23:18 by garson »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: 13 Feb '13 - 16:01 »
Yep, it looks like minimized windows won't receive mousewheel messages. Previously, when "minimized" to tray, XMPlay was actually just hidden and not minimized. In the update above, it is minimized too. Here's another update that goes back to just hiding...