Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.8  (Read 76763 times)

dbz

Re: Suggestions for 3.8
« Reply #50 on: 15 Feb '13 - 21:40 »
I know work has been done on this previously, but I feel there's still some room for improvement in this area. What I'm talking about is the integration of winamp (and other) visualizations. I know about Barna's winamp vis wrapper plugin, and although it works - you have to access it through the dsp and "general" plugins settings, whereas the sonique visuals are accessible on the extended playlist. As well, winamp's avs window is separate and isn't skinned as is the rest of xmplay's interface.

I'm sure if it was an easy thing to do it would've already been done, (nothin' worthwhile is easy right?) but I thought since xmplay's skinning capabilities are being looked at and updated, perhaps this topic should be revisited. I also found on winamp's avs forum, they have the source code available to the file "vis_avs.dll" (version 2.81d). According to the date of the posting, this file has been around since at least 2009. I don't know if it's of any use to you, but I hope so. It would be great to have winamp and other visuals displayed in the same window as the sonique visuals. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=295512
« Last Edit: 15 Feb '13 - 21:43 by dbz »

xaos

« Reply #51 on: 18 Feb '13 - 02:24 »
About knob and slider combinations .. The volume and position knobs fill from left to right only when used in horizontal configuration with their sliders ... was wondering if it would be possible to add a switch to the skin config that would allow them to fill right to left. (altho I suppose that would also mean adding exta code to allow the sliders to move right to left as well)

Reasoning: knobs don't allow for quick click navigation (other than click, hold and drag), whereas knob and slider combo's do, which is handy for track scanning and quick click volume changes.

PSXGamerPro1

« Reply #52 on: 18 Feb '13 - 04:31 »
I changed my mind the people should specify the max amount of files to load from the internet and the timeout time and also is their a way to add to the dialog that creates the shortcuts to select an icon, Also for the files.
Ian is there a fix for Visual c++ 2005 express edition
It doesn't recognize "#include <windows.h>","#include <dsound.h>"
What am I doing wrong?

Dotpitch

« Reply #53 on: 18 Feb '13 - 06:28 »
specify the max amount of files to load from the internet and the timeout time
XMPlay doesn't limit the number of files, but the timeout is governed by Options and stuff > Miscellaneous > 'Timeout'.
is their a way to add to the dialog that creates the shortcuts to select an icon, also for the files.
Do you mean Options and stuff > Integration? There's a small button on the right labelled 'icon', clicking that will allow you to change the icon for the XMPlay-able filetype.

PSXGamerPro1

« Reply #54 on: 18 Feb '13 - 17:32 »
I got a better idea.
The XMPlay version that supports zip skins is there a way to encode it somehow so people cant use WinRAR, WinZip, 7-zip, etc. to extract the skins.

saga

« Reply #55 on: 18 Feb '13 - 17:41 »
Just stop being a wannabe hacker. There's no reason to scramble skin files.

PSXGamerPro1

« Reply #56 on: 18 Feb '13 - 18:18 »
Here's an idea.
The idea is the image.

saga

« Reply #57 on: 18 Feb '13 - 18:42 »
You can right-click on shortcuts, go to Properties and change the icon to anything you like.

dbz

« Reply #58 on: 19 Feb '13 - 16:05 »
Okay, here's another suggestion/request from me. It's fairly minor and should be easy to do. Lately I've been getting some encoders for xmplay, and I have one little suggestion to make. I think it would be better if the drop-down list for the encoders was (automatically) alphabetically sorted. When you add a bunch of encoders it makes it easier to find one in particular and it's simply more organized. This would also effect the order in which they are listed under the Output - "Device" drop-down list. In that control, each grouping of similar items (wav writer, encoder, directsound, etc.) should also be alphabetically arranged and sorted to - directsound, encoder, wav writer.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb '13 - 16:09 by dbz »

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #59 on: 24 Feb '13 - 19:29 »
Native XMPlay support for Trillian messenger  8)

Cardinal_Bill

« Reply #60 on: 27 Feb '13 - 18:29 »
Kind of a stupid request...but here goes.

What I'd like is an option to play a specific audio file on start-up and then continue on with the playlist from where it was at shutdown (which it does now).

dbz

« Reply #61 on: 3 Mar '13 - 04:21 »
I don't think your suggestion is so bad... I kinda like it actually. Just as long as it's an optional setting as you specified.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #62 on: 3 Mar '13 - 16:22 »
I believe I've suggested this before. I would like for XMPlay to have the option to load the CD tracks in the open file (s) feature. As it is now, you can go to the drive and select the tracks one by one or drag them to the playlist. But it would so much practical to load the CD with just a click or two. QMP has this feature, but I would love it if XMPlay had it as well.

Cheers!  8)
« Last Edit: 3 Mar '13 - 16:34 by Chinese Sausage »

saga

« Reply #63 on: 3 Mar '13 - 17:14 »
Maybe you should use "Add Folder" (right-click open button) instead of "Open Files"? That way, you can just add the complete CD with two clicks.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #64 on: 3 Mar '13 - 17:35 »
Thank you saga! Although it took more the two, it still is the best option for now. 8)

saga

« Reply #65 on: 4 Mar '13 - 14:00 »
Could "stop at dead track" (or a different, new setting) be extended so that XMPlay won't automatically advance to the next track if an internet stream dies? Especially when I'm on a bad wifi connection, streams regularly die on me, and I have to jump to the correct playlist entry again to resume playback.

dbz

« Reply #66 on: 15 Mar '13 - 16:08 »
Ian if you are listening, I was just wondering if you go through all the suggestions here when looking to add new features... or if some of them are perhaps lost in all the posts under this thread. The only reason I'm asking is, I made what I thought was a useful request/suggestion a while ago now, but didn't get any kind of response. I've waited a while (realizing you are busy with other things), but then when I see almost instantaneous responses to other new posts in separate threads - it makes me think you didn't even see my post. In the future, would it be better for me to post my ideas in a separate, more visible thread... or are you just taking time to go through everything that has already been posted here?
« Last Edit: 15 Mar '13 - 16:10 by dbz »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: 15 Mar '13 - 18:19 »
I do check the suggestion thread(s) regularly, but it is possible that I miss some suggestions. When a new release is planned, I will go through the entire thread(s) again, in case I did miss something first time round. It is easier to locate the suggestions if they are in a single thread (ie. this thread), so that is preferred.

Regarding the almost instantaneous responses, when I see a suggestion for something that strikes me as useful and fairly quick to implement, I will go ahead and implement it then. Otherwise, it will be considered later, eg. in the suggestion thread sweep when a new release is planned.

Looking back at this thread, I can see 2 suggestions from you. I'm not very familiar with Winamp vis, but as far as I was aware, they require their own window (so can't be displayed in XMPlay's info window). Have you seen something different elsewhere? Regarding the device/encoder sorting, I'll look into that for the next update.

dbz

« Reply #68 on: 15 Mar '13 - 19:36 »
Looking back at this thread, I can see 2 suggestions from you. I'm not very familiar with Winamp vis, but as far as I was aware, they require their own window (so can't be displayed in XMPlay's info window). Have you seen something different elsewhere? Regarding the device/encoder sorting, I'll look into that for the next update.
Thanks for the info. I can't really say that I've seen any other programs that show winamp visuals embedded in the interface, but I thought maybe it was possible. I have a little bit of programming ability, and I know for instance that a program like mplayer (video player app), can have it's video output redirected to another window. I was hoping winamp might work the same way. But yeah, I was more commenting on my other suggestion about the encoder/device sorting. I figured it wouldn't be a difficult thing to adjust in the program, so thanks for looking into it.

xaos

« Reply #69 on: 22 Mar '13 - 20:12 »
Stemming from this post ...
Not sure how easy it would be or if it's even possible but ..

Perhaps multi-state buttons should be allowed to 'flash' between their alternate Play and Paused states also, with NoFlashPause using the Paused state of the button.

And with that thot .. for customization sake (and the ability to appease a wider taste in button style/states in one version of a skin rather than multiples of it) .. trying to keep simplicity in mind ..

Might it be possible to add a second, say, .. 'button_pause_multi.bmp' to the config? .. The thot being that .. there would then be the possibility of several extra combinations that NoFlashPause would also help allow for (if the first suggestion is possible) .. an option could be put on the Appearance page to 'Use Multi-state Play/Pause button' (if availabe) .. that could just be ignored if the corresponding button doesn't exist in the skin.

.. just thinking out (loud?) ..

edit: pointless skin reference removed
« Last Edit: 27 Mar '13 - 02:02 by Xaos »

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #70 on: 24 Mar '13 - 16:13 »
Why is the default volume set to 100%?

piovrauz

« Reply #71 on: 24 Mar '13 - 17:09 »
mmm, I'd like to ask for an (optional) support to windows 7 taskbar "extension", like playback and volume control. Something like volume control when on top of the icon, like what happens on tray icon would be nice.
this could be a plugin I suppose, so it won't bother uninterested ppl?
what do you guys think of it?

Dotpitch

« Reply #72 on: 24 Mar '13 - 20:54 »
I think that's the best choice for a default setting. It may be too loud for certain configurations, but the default never suits everyone.

mmm, I'd like to ask for an (optional) support to windows 7 taskbar "extension", like playback and volume control. Something like volume control when on top of the icon, like what happens on tray icon would be nice.
Yes, I'd like to see controls on the Win7 taskbar preview as well, mostly as a mouse-based alternative for the Play/pause shortcut.

saga

« Reply #73 on: 24 Mar '13 - 22:54 »
I think that's the best choice for a default setting. It may be too loud for certain configurations, but the default never suits everyone.
Plus, 100% is just the original volume of the played file, so that's just a natural choice.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #74 on: 25 Mar '13 - 00:26 »

It certainly got my attention.