Author Topic: Some .mods sound weird  (Read 3173 times)

Pike84

Some .mods sound weird
« on: 3 Jun '03 - 16:16 »
Ian, I've uploaded two weird sounding .mod files to your FTP. They sounded just fine before, although I'm not sure if they sounded ok in 2.6 since I hadn't listened them for a long time. Something must be wrong with playing of these mods, because if they were supposed to sound that ugly, I would've removed them long ago :P.

The filenames are "JosSs - Aries.mod" and "JosSs - Heavy Lethal.mod".

I'm not sure about this, but some other .mod files sounded like a bit not-ok'ish, but they weren't so clearly played wrong, as these two I upped to you. Perhaps there is some more general type of flaw in playing some types of mods ???.

Tell me how they sound to you. Hope you find the problem and get it sorted :).
« Last Edit: 3 Jun '03 - 16:20 by Pike84 »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Some .mods sound weird
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun '03 - 17:10 »
It seems a "fix" made for another MOD file has messed up these files... I think I'll change it back to how it was, the other file was pretty poxy anyway ;D

Pike84

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun '03 - 17:46 »
Ok, that's great :D. Will you update the download right away then?

Oh, and check out my last post in 'Some v2.7 bugs and comments' thread, if you didn't already :).
[edit]It's now my second last post in the thread I was referring to.
« Last Edit: 3 Jun '03 - 22:39 by Pike84 »

Sub-Zero

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun '03 - 23:47 »
Whatever mixing mode you use should not be tailored to any specific file, otherwise, its no good :\.  It should sound consistent on all files.  I realize that file I uploaded to you wasn't really that great music wise.  However, it did blatantly point out the issue I was having with the old sinc mixer :).  It was also not the only file I had the issue with.

Anyway the new mixer seems a lot better than the old one but I still do hear some whistling from time to time.  Also, I thought you'd leave the cubic spline method in there as well.  Well anyway, gj on the release :)
« Last Edit: 3 Jun '03 - 23:48 by Sub-Zero »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun '03 - 13:18 »
Ok, that's great :D. Will you update the download right away then?

There'll probably be a 2.7a release fairly soon, with little fixes like this, and a few new options. But, if you like, I can send an update to play with now :)

Whatever mixing mode you use should not be tailored to any specific file, otherwise, its no good :\.

This has nothing to do with playback/mixing - it's a MOD loading issue, specifically what to do when a MOD says it has more than 64 patterns. According to some (ProTracker) specs that's not possible (depending on the file's signature), and ignoring patterns over 64 in the order list did make one particular MOD work. But since that's the only case I've seen like that (and the order list was a mess anyway :)), and there are more likely to be MODs like Kynes' (which do use more than 64 patterns), I'll change it back to how it was - always accepting any number of patterns.

Pike84

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun '03 - 15:34 »

There'll probably be a 2.7a release fairly soon, with little fixes like this, and a few new options. But, if you like, I can send an update to play with now :)

Well, if you don't mind, then sure - it's always nice to have your fave player up-to-date ;D.

Sub-Zero

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun '03 - 05:25 »

This has nothing to do with playback/mixing

Oops maybe I should read into the topic a little more.  I just assumed he was talking about mixing issues..  Sorry.  Thanks for the clarification.