Author Topic: looking for rm support in xmplay  (Read 8191 times)

brandon

looking for rm support in xmplay
« on: 6 Apr '03 - 23:52 »
is rm supported or not?
can I get some help with it, if it is, then how?
I like to player but not quite sure if rm is supported or not.

Irrational86

Re: looking for rm support in xmplay
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr '03 - 01:34 »
rm? You mean Real Media files? Try the Tara Plugin, you have to have RealOne (used to be called RealPlayer) installed in order for it to work.

Zarggg

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr '03 - 14:39 »
Yep.  Tara requires Real Player to be installed (get free version 8.0; it still should be around).  XMPlay cannot natively support any Real Media proprietary file-types because, well, they're proprietary. :P (Ian can't afford lawyer costs.)
« Last Edit: 7 Apr '03 - 14:39 by Zarggg »

kamnet

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr '03 - 07:42 »
I thought that Real Networks had created an open source option to integrate the playback of Real content into various players ... couldn't Ian use that and natively integrate Real file support into a future release of XMPlay?

Tsorovan

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr '03 - 08:25 »
Really? Thank gods, maybe that means we'll finally get rid of that bloated RealPlayer/RealOne operating system destroyer.

Only thing worse is Quicktime, but Apple will never give that up. Can't someone hack the QT decoder and make a directshow QT codec? Please? I'll pay.

Zarggg

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr '03 - 15:03 »

Only thing worse is Quicktime, but Apple will never give that up. Can't someone hack the QT decoder and make a directshow QT codec? Please? I'll pay.

I'll pretend I didn't hear that, because I like you. ::) Just bloody download QuickTime.  It doesn't break anyting. :P

Ralesk

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr '03 - 19:27 »
It might not break anything, but it's crappy (slow and such), can't even go full screen if not a Pro version, and it is an association maniac like RealPrayer :(

Zarggg

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr '03 - 21:22 »
I'll definitely give you that last part. :-/

brandon

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr '03 - 02:53 »

lets stay on topic here..
how do I get .rm files to open with xmplay?

kamnet

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr '03 - 03:22 »
Go re-read the 2nd and 3rd post.

Olego

Tara
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr '03 - 12:04 »
Or, as a more civilised answer, go here: http://support.xmplay.com/Plugins_index.html

~Olego~

tigre

IT WORKS! Playing back real audio w/o real player
« Reply #11 on: 26 May '03 - 12:12 »
I just managed to play back real files with XMPlay without real player installed. This thread on HydrogenAudio contains some possibilities, I used Biont's package.
It's that easy! Install the real dlls (big .exe) and the Winamp Plugin to XMPlay folder; set file associations and play .rm and other files with XMPlay directly from the browser (e.g. amazon previews).

Only problem: Every click on an amazon song opens a new instance of XMPlay (2.7) ... Is there a way to disable multiple instances?

Torkell

« Reply #12 on: 26 May '03 - 21:48 »
Try telling it to add new things to the playlist.

tigre

« Reply #13 on: 28 May '03 - 08:39 »

Try telling it to add new things to the playlist.

This worked to prevent multiple instances, but I'd prefer to hear a song immediately when I click it on a web page (without other songs playing at the same time).

I use Win2K SP3 + Opera 7 (Bork edition) BTW.
« Last Edit: 28 May '03 - 08:39 by tigre »

Torkell

« Reply #14 on: 29 May '03 - 18:28 »
Have two copies running, one set to add to playlist and one with your main music set not to add to playlist. You should be able to experiment and find an order for starting XMPlay and changing the setting that will make it work.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 30 May '03 - 11:16 »
You can right-click the "Add to playlist" switch, and enable the "Play listed tracks" option... or maybe I'm missing the problem here? :)

tigre

« Reply #16 on: 30 May '03 - 12:24 »
You're right! I missed that I can right-click additionally and it does something different ...
So I have to highlight "Add to playlist"
AND check "Play listed tracks"

Great!  :D

No need to pollute my system by installing RealPlayer now!

Thanks alot!