Author Topic: DirectX effects volume  (Read 3725 times)

Skaven

DirectX effects volume
« on: 18 May '03 - 09:43 »
Heya,

I've recently started using DirectX effects in my ModPlug Tracker songs, since BASS.DLL supports them too.

However, there seems to be a pretty drastic volume difference between ModPlug Tracker's and XMPlay's (BASS.DLL?) DirectX effects. For example, if I set the Distortion effect to a suitable volume in ModPlug Tracker, it sounds insanely loud in XMPlay.

Anyone else noticed this?

Skaven

Re: DirectX effects volume
« Reply #1 on: 20 May '03 - 07:49 »
Do you have anything to say about this, Ian?

Haze

« Reply #2 on: 20 May '03 - 13:37 »
I guess Ian would be grateful if you could FTP him examples of what you mean. ;)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 20 May '03 - 14:11 »
XMPlay doesn't alter the DMO effect parameters that MPT uses, but it's possible that with effects that react differently depending on the level of the sound it could sound slightly different in the two. Afterall, it's very unlikely that XMPlay and MPT will have exactly the same mixing levels internally.

XMPlay uses a high mixing level, to maximise the dynamic range. So you could try putting the MPT pre-amp and mixing level settings on maximum (or just high enough not to clip) when you create your tracks, to try to match that. See if it helps.

ps: The extended filter resonance level thing was corrected in XMPlay 2.6 / BASS 1.8, so there's no need to compensate for that in your tracks anymore, incase you are :)

Skaven

« Reply #4 on: 22 May '03 - 17:27 »
OK... I just tried maximizing the mixing level of the song in ModPlug Tracker. The volume is louder and fuller now, definitely, but the difference in Distortion volume is still there.  :-/

I posted an example file to your FTP site (see the email).

Skaven

« Reply #5 on: 24 May '03 - 10:01 »
Here's an update just in case you're interested. Ian tested my test song thoroughly and found out the difference is in the Edge setting of the Distortion effect. In ModPlug Tracker, when you increase the distortion's Edge, the volume does not increase so drastically. However, in XMPlay it does - despite they both use exactly the same parameters.

There is probably some kind of internal volume compensation at work in ModPlug Tracker, but this has yet to be confirmed by MPT's author.

Ralesk

« Reply #6 on: 24 May '03 - 17:53 »
Does OliveHead response to things at all? :evil: