Author Topic: [Suggeestion] Visuals into the Main Window  (Read 6302 times)

Astral Soup Design

Is it a chance to add Visual support in the main player instead of the Info Window?

PSXGamerPro1

Re: [Suggeestion] Visuals into the Main Window
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar '13 - 22:24 »
Is it a chance to add Visual support in the main player instead of the Info Window?
You mean the main_panel.bmp file? If you do, that will be cool?
And add an option to not have a info window. But all it's functions is in the main_panel.bmp file.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar '13 - 23:01 »

If that could be added to a new optional skin, that would be great  8)

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar '13 - 23:09 »
Wonder if it could be done with resource hacker?

Astral Soup Design

Better not to Hard-touch XMPlay :/
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar '13 - 15:20 »
After the 3.7 Mod scandal, it's better Ian evaluates the chance to add this support for some Skins, just like in Sonique.

saga

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar '13 - 18:59 »
After the 3.7 Mod scandal
Have we missed something?

Astral Soup Design

Flashback!
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar '13 - 19:15 »
PSXGamerPro1 published a customized XMPlay application with some enhancements, but It wasn't taken good.

tails_

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar '13 - 05:01 »
Nicolas Bahamondes
Let's not start that topic again, pleeease.

saga

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar '13 - 16:18 »
PSXGamerPro1 published a customized XMPlay application with some enhancements, but It wasn't taken good.
I don't see a scandal there; it's just a random scriptkiddie trying to sound smart by showing that he can use Resource Editor to unsuccessfully modify an executable.

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar '13 - 18:21 »
O sea, no es un escándalo en sí. A lo que me refería en inglés, pero que no encontraba la palabra adecuada, es que ese hilo fue una "conversación incorrespondida". Lo escribo en español para que sepan que me explayo más o menos en inglés.

tails_

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar '13 - 06:52 »
Nicolas Bahamondes
Were you saying that you picked wrong work there? My Google Translate skills are not that good.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr '13 - 15:09 »
After the 3.7 Mod scandal, it's better Ian evaluates the chance to add this support for some Skins, just like in Sonique.

I suspect Jimmy was just joking with his comment :)

Regarding your request, vis display in the main window has come up before, and something was even implemented but never released. I don't recall why exactly it wasn't released, but I think I probably decided that the vis area would generally be too small to be useful, particularly for the MOD display. The code is still present (but disabled), so I could give it another look. It would require some updating though, as the vis processing has since become more complex (eg. to allow vis refresh rate control).

Astral Soup Design

Awesomium!
« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr '13 - 01:29 »

I suspect Jimmy was just joking with his comment :)

Regarding your request, vis display in the main window has come up before, and something was even implemented but never released. I don't recall why exactly it wasn't released, but I think I probably decided that the vis area would generally be too small to be useful, particularly for the MOD display. The code is still present (but disabled), so I could give it another look. It would require some updating though, as the vis processing has since become more complex (eg. to allow vis refresh rate control).

I have good plans with this feature. Really it was implemented before and hidden? Wow!

piovrauz

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr '13 - 22:43 »
Maybe XMPlay is already perfect, with all the possible options already builtin, even future functions for sw that will appears in the future, they are just hidden, and every now and then Ian enables some... XD

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr '13 - 17:56 »
;D

For anyone that would like to have a vis display in the main window of their skin, here's something for you to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

An index 27 is added to the main/mini panel masks for a vis display area. Double-clicking in that area will open the info window in vis mode, and disable the main window's vis display (to avoid wasting CPU on 2 identical vis displays).

I haven't tested it much, but it seems to be working reasonably well. One issue is that the MIDI and AHX plugins don't currently know about this feature, and as far as they are concerned, the vis window has been set to the size of the main window's vis area, which means they will default to using that size if the vis window is subsequently opened. They will need to be updated to address that, if the feature doesn't end up disabled again :)

If you do give this a try, please report your findings.

saga

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr '13 - 21:37 »
Seems like you didn't uncomment all the perfect code, because currently, the vis display randomly disappears (becoming completely transparent) with this update (using the Neutron skin).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr '13 - 12:32 »
That's strange. I haven't seen that happen yet. Do you have to do something to trigger the problem, or is the vis displaying fine and then just suddenly disappears? Does it matter what vis is active? If you check XMPlay's CPU usage, does it appear to still be processing the vis? Also, does it only ever happen with the Neutron skin, and what Windows version are you using?

saga

« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr '13 - 13:37 »
It also happens with the default skin and mostly when there is no audio playing. Try e.g. minimizing XMPlay to the tray and restore it while no audio is playing - the vis area remains transparent in that case. Runing Win7 x64 here.

dbz

« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr '13 - 14:52 »
I'm not sure I completely understand. Am I supposed to edit a skin or the ini file to make this work? As it is, I don't see the vis in the main window (Win98SE).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr '13 - 15:04 »
It also happens with the default skin and mostly when there is no audio playing. Try e.g. minimizing XMPlay to the tray and restore it while no audio is playing - the vis area remains transparent in that case. Runing Win7 x64 here.

I don't seem to be able to reproduce that here. Does it only ever happen when minimizing to tray, not when minimizing to the taskbar? Does it matter what vis is active at the time? Does XMPlay's CPU usage suggest that it is still processing the vis, ie. is it at the same level as when you do see the vis?

I'm not sure I completely understand. Am I supposed to edit a skin or the ini file to make this work? As it is, I don't see the vis in the main window (Win98SE).

It is a skinning option rather than an XMPLAY.INI option. The vis area needs to be defined in the skin's source files (eg. MASK_MAIN.BMP).

Here's a butchered version of the Vintage Radio skin that can be used to try out the main window vis...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/Vintage Radio + vis.xmpskin
« Last Edit: 23 Apr '13 - 15:46 by Ian @ un4seen »

dbz

« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr '13 - 16:14 »
Oh, so only newer or revised skins will be able to use this feature then. I guess that stands to reason. The test skin appears to work ok on my system.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr '13 - 16:34 »
It works well here as well! 8)
I like the fact that these Sonique vis look so much better in XMPlay than in any other player.

One small request: Could it be possible to close and open the Vis in the main window with a click?
Cheers!
« Last Edit: 23 Apr '13 - 16:51 by Chinese Sausage »

Dotpitch

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr '13 - 16:56 »
Here's a butchered version of the Vintage Radio skin that can be used to try out the main window vis...
Awesome! ;D It looks more like a vintage TV now ;).

saga

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr '13 - 16:58 »
I don't seem to be able to reproduce that here. Does it only ever happen when minimizing to tray, not when minimizing to the taskbar? Does it matter what vis is active at the time? Does XMPlay's CPU usage suggest that it is still processing the vis, ie. is it at the same level as when you do see the vis?
It also happens when minimizing to the task bar. As said, it's only happening when there is nothing to display anyway, e.g. when launching XMPlay and using the 3D spectrum. When there's some music playing, the spectrum is drawn correctly again.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr '13 - 17:29 »
One small request: Could it be possible to close and open the Vis in the main window with a click?

The vis can be disabled via the right-click menu. OK, that's 2 clicks :)

It also happens when minimizing to the task bar. As said, it's only happening when there is nothing to display anyway, e.g. when launching XMPlay and using the 3D spectrum. When there's some music playing, the spectrum is drawn correctly again.

Ah yes, I can reproduce that. I'll sort it out for the next update.