Author Topic: XMPlay 2.7 suggestions  (Read 83633 times)

Torkell

Re: XMPlay 2.7 suggestions
« Reply #200 on: 8 May '03 - 22:01 »
200 posts!!! Who'da thought that it would reach that many. Looking back, the first post was Janurary this year, and there's nearly 4 months worth of posts here. Maybe we're trying to tell Ian something here ;D

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: 9 May '03 - 15:05 »
Ian, about those ''s ''s and so on.. You can easily try it with any mp3 yourself. Just add any of these characters to the end of the title or artist field in ID3v2...

But I don't have any of those characters on my keyboard - makes it a bit tricky to try this :)

An idea would be to include the bit/sample rate in the track settings (as you want MP3s at the actual rate, and MODs at a higher rate).

The sample rate setting only applies to MODs anyway.

200 posts!!! Who'da thought that it would reach that many. Looking back, the first post was Janurary this year, and there's nearly 4 months worth of posts here. Maybe we're trying to tell Ian something here ;D

Yep. People keep requesting more stuff, so it's your own faults :P ... The 2.7 "History" section is getting pretty big now though, so I think it is about time for release... hopefully soon :)

Pike84

« Reply #202 on: 9 May '03 - 15:11 »

Maybe we're trying to tell Ian something here ;D

Maybe we are, huh ;D?. Well, I just happen to have yet something more to tell Ian: When sorting by title, letters '', '' and '' go before everything else when they actually should go last, in above order (not sure about '', tho) :).

But I don't have any of those characters on my keyboard - makes it a bit tricky to try this :)

Hmm.. Well, you could of course find the characters from the net and copy-paste them, but I can upload a file for you anyway :). The filename is "Letters.txt".
« Last Edit: 9 May '03 - 15:23 by Pike84 »

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #203 on: 10 May '03 - 02:14 »
A wholly new suggestion!
Look at this:

No, it's not a bug. It's just a 384MB MP3 with a playing time of 4h:39m ...

So my suggestion: How about displaying the hours seperately?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: 10 May '03 - 12:52 »
Hmm.. Well, you could of course find the characters from the net and copy-paste them

Tricky ;D ... anyway, it's sorted now.

So my suggestion: How about displaying the hours seperately?

I'll look into it.

Torkell

« Reply #205 on: 10 May '03 - 16:38 »
Ian: use character map unders windows (or you can get with Ctrl+Alt+<vowel>).

RahDick: say hello to integer wraparound!

JimVonMoon

« Reply #206 on: 10 May '03 - 18:18 »

I'd like to suggest two new things for the v2.7:
[...]
2. This may be useless for most users but I'd like to have an "Open" option in XMPlay's tray menu so I could load a new file without bringing the main window to front [...].

Oh, I forgot to mention that a hotkey for the open dialog would be a nice thing too. ;D

mbeeston

« Reply #207 on: 13 May '03 - 07:38 »
not sure if that was posted yet... but how bout midi playing? :)

Pike84

« Reply #208 on: 13 May '03 - 10:22 »
Midi support is there with the plugin in_midi.dll - available at XMPlay support site :).

Guan

« Reply #209 on: 14 May '03 - 15:27 »
Hi Ian  :) i'm just wondering how long do we have to wait for the next release of xmplay  8)

i am very exited about the bass.dll 1.8 funktions in the next release.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: 14 May '03 - 22:36 »

Hi Ian :) i'm just wondering how long do we have to wait for the next release of xmplay 8)

Shouldn't be more than a few days... metaphorically, just crossing the t's and dotting the i's now :)
« Last Edit: 14 May '03 - 22:38 by Ian @ un4seen »

Zarggg

« Reply #211 on: 14 May '03 - 22:55 »
Shouldn't be more than a few days... metaphorically, just crossing the t's and dotting the i's now :)

In other words, you're fixing all the bugs you created by adding the new features and fixing older bugs? ;)
« Last Edit: 14 May '03 - 22:56 by Zarggg »

Torkell

« Reply #212 on: 15 May '03 - 09:33 »
I think what mbeeston was after integrated MIDI support (without a plugin). I think that XMPlay already can handle MIDI playback, but it just won't read .MID/.RMI files. I'm not sure, but the built-in support appears to be for .XM/.IT files with MIDI bits in them (I've never seen it used). It shouldn't be too hard to read a MIDI file, as it looks like the playback subsystem's already there.

Pike84

« Reply #213 on: 15 May '03 - 23:50 »
Well, I thought what mbeeston was after, was playing some midi files, then noticed they won't play, so decided to post here and ask for support ;D. But whatever the case, I have nothing against integrated midi support :).
« Last Edit: 15 May '03 - 23:50 by Pike84 »

Brightguy

« Reply #214 on: 16 May '03 - 00:27 »
I'm not sure, but the built-in support appears to be for .XM/.IT files with MIDI bits in them (I've never seen it used). It shouldn't be too hard to read a MIDI file, as it looks like the playback subsystem's already there.

This was one of the first things I asked about when I initially came here, over a year ago now... Here's the official reply regarding XM files that have MIDI instrument settings:
It was requested, and added ages ago. I'm not sure that it still even works, it's been so long since I tried it ;D

When there are any MIDI instruments, it'll say (x MIDI) by the instrument count in the General info panel.

I was thinking of removing the "feature" in 2.x, but I decided to leave the MIDI device selector in, ready incase I ever added MIDI file support. The reason I haven't done so thus far, is that XMPlay uses the wave position as time-keeper, so playing MIDIs where no wave output is involved would require fairly major changes.

That's why I was surprised when I realised you could use the position slider with MIDIs, if you set up the config right... But integrated MIDI support would be great.

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #215 on: 16 May '03 - 01:24 »
One more suggestion:
When you right-click the Close-button, XMPlay acts upon MouseDown, not on Release... Which is kinda annoying because you always have a context menu popping up somewhere because you bookmark-closed XMPlay...

Comments?
« Last Edit: 16 May '03 - 01:24 by RahDick »

Torkell

« Reply #216 on: 16 May '03 - 11:22 »
Come to think of it, using "real" MIDI playback (i.e. through a hardware synthesiser or a software one that pretends to be hardware) would make it impossible to use visulisations. "fake" MIDI playback (pure software syhthesiser) would mean that visulisations would work, and it would let Ian use the wave position timekeeping wotsit, but that does have ocassional problems (I've got a few MIDI files where one or two tracks are silent in "fake" mode but work fine in "real" mode. Haven't tested them with in_midi yet).

I remember reading that you're not using DirectX in XMPlay, so MIDI support would probably be done the "real" way (I'm ignoring fancy DLS-wotsits here ;D). Let's see what the MSDN library has to say... ???

Try here in the MSDN library. Really, it all depends on whether you are happy to just let Windows do all the work for you, or if you want to do things like show channel levels, have a MIDI pattern display :idea:, display track names etc., in which case you'll need to parse the MIDI file yourself. I'd save integrated MIDI playback for version 3, as it is a major change. Speaking of which, personally I'd guess that a verson 3 may appear within a year or two, as there's only so many times you can add minor bugfixes and features before it's time to add something major ;D

Brightguy

Re: XMPlay MIDI
« Reply #217 on: 16 May '03 - 21:09 »
Yeah, using "real" MIDI playback means that the visualisations will not work, but MIDIs aren't supposed to have visualisations anyway. :)  The "fake" playback will have wave output, but I prefer to listen to my MIDIs the "real" way...

Oh, and I've thought about a MIDI pattern display before, as well.  That would be NICE.  XMPlay 3.0 all the way!

Kyle Nevling

« Reply #218 on: 17 May '03 - 10:42 »
I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet but, can you make it so that the vis window has an option to stay on the desktop when XMplay is minimised?

Pike84

« Reply #219 on: 17 May '03 - 13:48 »
If you send XMPlay to tray (by right-clicking the minimize button), and then right-click the icon, you'll have an option there to bring only the info window up, while the player itself stays minimized. This is basically what you were looking for, right?

Torkell

« Reply #220 on: 18 May '03 - 20:12 »
Little announcement in case you haven't already noticed (but you've all signed up to the e-mail list, haven't you? ;D ):

XMPlay 2.7 is now out