Author Topic: "Opus" for XMPlay - A port by B&F  (Read 8802 times)

Astral Soup Design

"Opus" for XMPlay - A port by B&F
« on: 5 Jul '13 - 21:25 »

This is the official thread for the "Opus" face for XMPlay.

Solved:

• The Main Window is not resizeable, so the marker on the bottom right is confusing.
  • What's below the vertical playlist scroller? Should that be a button?
  • Putting the audio level indication below the playlist seems odd to me, but I guess it's like that in the original skin as well. Btw, it disappears when a track is paused
  • In XMPlay's case, it's not 'My Library' but 'My Playlist'. I'd also flip the display My Library/My Queue around.
  • Auto-amp labels are wrong, i.e. Dynamic shows as With Fade.
  • Mute-button is non-functional. I'm just wondering, does XMPlay even have a dedicated mute-button (other than right-clicking the volume slider)?
  • The search button text is blue, I think black would be better (like the equalizer button).
  • Info Window styling feels out of place without the Aqua look
  • The mini-mode time display is quite large for the information it's displaying. How about shrinking it in favour of the title display?

Not Solved or Pending:

• Nothing new yet!

Download from here the very first beta of this face.
    |
    |
    |
    V
« Last Edit: 9 Jul '13 - 05:48 by Nicolas @ b&f »

Dotpitch

Re: "Opus" for XMPlay - A port by B&F
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul '13 - 11:14 »
Well done :). Some minor remarks:
  • The Main Window is not resizeable, so the marker on the bottom right is confusing.
  • Putting the audio level indication below the playlist seems odd to me, but I guess it's like that in the original skin as well. Btw, it disappears when a track is paused
  • In XMPlay's case, it's not 'My Library' but 'My Playlist'. I'd also flip the display My Library/My Queue around.
  • Mute-button is non-functional. I'm just wondering, does XMPlay even have a dedicated mute-button (other than right-clicking the volume slider)?
  • The mini-mode volume knob has six dots, while all other knobs have three.
  • Really nice with the Album Art visual in the Main Window!

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul '13 - 14:01 »
Your last few skins will not load and give the following error message:

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul '13 - 14:23 »
The original is here. Check it out.
Notice the Full Mode and Mini Mode Volume Sliders.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul '13 - 14:40 »
Nice port!

A suggestion: Could it be possible for the Extended Playlist/Info window to be the same graphics as in the Main window? It would visually be so much better than the Windows 2000 interface.

Good job!
Cheers. 8)
« Last Edit: 6 Jul '13 - 16:16 by Chinese Sausage »

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul '13 - 15:59 »
Here is the list of suggestions made by Dotpitch that are now OK. Download your latest version from this post.

Solved:

• The search button text is blue, I think black would be better (like the equalizer button).
  • The mini-mode time display is quite large for the information it's displaying. How about shrinking it in favour of the title display?

Not Solved or Pending:

• Nothing new yet!

I'll need some extra time to replace the "Bahamondes & Furan Common Controls: Windows Classic" dialog boxes. The audio level is an inexistent feature in the original Rhapsody (The indicator is just for Portable Music Player transfers). I wanted to test it as a sound level, but I've found it disgusting. It's disabled, put present in the source bitmaps (if someone wants to enable it).

The "Playlist/Queue" buttons are corrected, except the text of the gray bar. Using Paint for correct text rendering is awful for me visually. Maybe it will be changed later.

The vertical bar scroller contained a strange box. In the original Rhapsody GUI, it's a intersection between the Vertical scroller and the Horizontal Scroller. Now it's gone. More space for scrolling. :)

Autoamp buttons are corrected. :S Sorry about the mistake.

Mute was deleted.

Regarding the Mini Mode and Full Mode volume scrollers, that's the original appearance of Rhapsody's controls. (See screenshot).

Here it go a new "icon" for the skin.

I'm repeating this one more time. Development faces requires:

• Latest Stuff Version of XMPlay
  • The XMP-ZIP.DLL library
  • Windows NT 4.0 | 2000 |XP | and beyond.

PEtit'd skins doesn't have this limitation, except those ones that uses PNG transparencies.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul '13 - 05:46 by Nicolas @ b&f »

Dotpitch

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul '13 - 16:28 »
Here is the list of suggestions made by Dotpitch that are now OK.
Nice, thank you! :).

Can't resist:

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul '13 - 16:59 »
I'm repeating this one more time. Development faces requires:

• Latest Stuff Version of XMPlay
  • The XMP-ZIP.DLL library
  • Windows NT 4.0 | 2000 |XP | and beyond.

Presently running:
XMPlay 3.7.0.38
xmp-zip.dll 1.9.0.0
Windows 8 Pro x64

Anything else you'd like to add one more time?

« Last Edit: 6 Jul '13 - 17:02 by Jimmy Neutron »

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul '13 - 17:11 »

Anything else you'd like to add one more time?

Your case is quite strange, but interesting. The ZIP'd skins were tested sucessfully in x86 environments. Contact Ian and ask why ZIP'd skins doesn't work in x64 environments and what's the problem with xmp-zip.dll

@Dotpitch: Hold on... Adding the new update.

Astral Soup Design

Funny Glitch
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul '13 - 17:14 »
In the meantime, there's a funny glitch.
Try to doubleclick the "Playlist Vertical Scroll" arrows and check what happens.

Astral Soup Design

New Update
« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul '13 - 17:27 »
Download the update here.

• "Search" button text color is now black instead of light cyan.
  • Added "Dotpitch" to the skintext.txt file

Because XMPlay is intended for use with streaming media too, I can't shrink the time space.
Make this experiment: In Mini Mode, press "O" and open a stream. You'll see the time section is used to show the user the buffering status.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul '13 - 18:41 »
Your case is quite strange, but interesting. The ZIP'd skins were tested sucessfully in x86 environments. Contact Ian and ask why ZIP'd skins doesn't work in x64 environments and what's the problem with xmp-zip.dll

Hmmm... I renamed the opus skin as zip, extracted it to a subdirectory in \Skins, and restarted XMPlay.  The skin works fine now, as is the case with min orange CD Cover Art skin (which didn't work before).

Thanks for the zip tip.

Dotpitch

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul '13 - 19:00 »
Because XMPlay is intended for use with streaming media too, I can't shrink the time space. ... You'll see the time section is used to show the user the buffering status.
The buffering message is not filling the whole box either, see attached. If you want to stay as close as possible to the original skin, that's fine by me though.

Presently running: XMPlay 3.7.0.38, xmp-zip.dll 1.9.0.0, Windows 8 Pro x64
I have the same versions, but Win7 x64. Anyone else got this working on Win8?
« Last Edit: 6 Jul '13 - 19:03 by Dotpitch »

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul '13 - 20:05 »

Maybe I could resize it a little bit. :)

dbz

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul '13 - 22:04 »
I seem to be in a similar situation as Jimmy Neutron... it didn't load for me until I unzipped the xmpskin file - once I did that, it works  - and that's on Win98SE as well. Apart from the Playlist's vertical scroll arrows glitch (switching to mini-mode), the only other (minor) issue I noticed was on the Playlist window. The Playlist window's border and titlebar area seems to be skinned differently (like Microsoft's regular "Windows" appearance) compared with the main panel, whereas I think it would be better if it had the same look (as the main panel). Also, directly under the auto-resize /close buttons there's a black rectangular area which seems to serve no apparent purpose - maybe it's a skinning issue with Win98SE. Other than that, it's very nicely done and I really like the layout and different feel it gives to xmplay - it looks like a whole new program to me. :)

Edit: Ok I just re-download the xmp-zip.dll from here and gave it another go, and it worked without me unzipping the file first. In fact, I think I may have actually tried it before without that file present, so it isn't a problem... sorry for any confusion.
« Last Edit: 6 Jul '13 - 22:18 by dbz »

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul '13 - 22:48 »
The regular Windows Interface is known as "Bahamondes & Furan Common Controls: Windows Classic". It's an easy package to help users to mount skins fastly using generic controls. In fact, the text of the black square was originally green, but I needed to change it to black... and that gives the ilusion of a unused black rectangular area.

A new controlset is planned for this skin. ;) In the meantime, use the latest version until I finish the new dialogs.

Thanks for the compliment, I think the Oscar goes for RealNetworks. I just ported this awesome skin. :)

dbz

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jul '13 - 17:50 »
I'm looking forward to the update. I'm still unclear on the purpose of the black rectangle. Is that the area displaying the total time of all the tracks? If so, the text should be visible don't you think? But if you are re-skinning this window than I'm sure you'll take care of it. I did see from your other post that this is a port from Rhapsody, but that doesn't take away from the good job you've done with it. I only wish all the skins available for xmplay were this nice looking.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jul '13 - 00:19 »
I'm using this skin and I like it. Still, I wish the font on the playlist would be slightly bigger. :)

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul '13 - 02:33 »
Here it is a "pseudo-preview" of the new controls.
The problem?... Uh, well... Check it out for themselves.

(Open the "Media Information" Window. It's glitchy.)

Whoops! A mistake made by me. Just a palette problem. Here I send a good copy.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul '13 - 02:41 by Nicolas @ b&f »

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul '13 - 05:38 »
Here's the final release of "Opus". (Really! This is the final one. I promise :P )
Check it out all the changelog to know what evolved. Download from here.

Feel free to modify. Any PEtite compilations are authorized for everyone.

@ChineseSausage: I can't make the playlist text bigger. This is the original size from Rhapsody.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul '13 - 12:24 »
Hmmm... I renamed the opus skin as zip, extracted it to a subdirectory in \Skins, and restarted XMPlay.  The skin works fine now, as is the case with min orange CD Cover Art skin (which didn't work before).

That sounds like it may be an issue with the ZIP plugin. Please give the latest stuff (rev.9b) a try and see if it helps...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-zip.dll

Regarding the platform requirements of this skin, I think it should work on Windows 98SE and above, as it's only using an alpha channel in the slider/marker bitmaps, not the full window (which requires Windows 2000).

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jul '13 - 14:30 »
Thank you for this very nice skin Nicolas. It will be one of my favorites. Thank you for your hard work and patience.  8)

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jul '13 - 15:07 »
That sounds like it may be an issue with the ZIP plugin. Please give the latest stuff (rev.9b) a try and see if it helps...

Yep, it works now with the opus.xmpskin.

Nice that zip reduces the size of the skin so much.

Thanks!

dbz

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul '13 - 19:42 »
Unfortunately for me, the re-skinned window isn't drawing properly. The General Info, Message, Samples, and Visualization window is ok, but the extended Playlist and Library window is really messed up.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul '13 - 01:15 by dbz »

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jul '13 - 23:01 »
Unfortunately for me, the re-skinned window isn't drawing properly. The General Info, Message, Samples, and Visualization window is ok, but the extended Playlist and Library window is really messed up. Please see the Screenshot.

dbz, you're using a discontinued beta release of the skin. The full release is publised in the skin catalog. Thanks, anyway.

http://support.xmplay.com/files_view.php?file_id=650