Author Topic: "No interpolation" support please!  (Read 17924 times)

Jeano

"No interpolation" support please!
« on: 24 Feb '03 - 03:07 »
It's not a secret that some MODs actually sound better with
no interpolation. Chip tunes are a good example on this.
No interpolation sometimes also gives a more natural sound
and it is always good to keep the sound as "original" as
possible. :)
« Last Edit: 24 Feb '03 - 03:23 by Jeano »

Sub-Zero

Re: "No interpolation" support please!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb '03 - 06:36 »
Been asked for, along with a gaussian and/or 8 point tap filter as well.  I guess we'll see if either makes it in.

Olego

Interpolation
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb '03 - 17:38 »
And see, Ian, you're going to do it for BASS 1.8, now you *have* to do it for XMPlay, too!  Please?

~Olego~

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb '03 - 21:38 »
The main obstruction is that it'll require another state for the interpolation switch, so can't be compatible with existing skins.

Ralesk

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb '03 - 00:41 »
So, we'll update them. :P

Brightguy

Re:
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb '03 - 02:38 »
Don't let the skins stand in the way of progress...  If it's a big deal, I suppose you could always make a new bitmap for the no interpolation button, and if the skin doesn't include it, then display the "off" bitmap over whatever setting was turned off. :)
« Last Edit: 26 Feb '03 - 02:40 by Brightguy »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb '03 - 11:19 »
Actually, thinking about it, the light could simply be "turned off", as with the ramping switch. So no skin changes would be needed. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier - must've forgot to put my brain in :)

Sub-Zero

Re:
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb '03 - 19:04 »

Don't let the skins stand in the way of progress...

I agree!  There are a lot of players out there that have this "skins above all else" development mentality.  As neat as a few of the (xmplay) skins look, the most functional one (for me) is the default 1.5.  The rest are either too small, or in the case of snatch, take a lot of desktop real estate, yet the info areas are no bigger than the rest.

Just my $.02

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb '03 - 12:17 »

The main obstruction is that it'll require another state for the interpolation switch, so can't be compatible with existing skins.

I was about to hit the "reply" button when I read this.

Actually, thinking about it, the light could simply be "turned off", as with the ramping switch. So no skin changes would be needed. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier - must've forgot to put my brain in :)

You got the point ;)

[...]
The rest are either too small, or in the case of snatch, take a lot of desktop real estate, yet the info areas are no bigger than the rest.
[...]

You're right, but there are people with insane screen resolutions, and for those, the skin is just right I think :)
« Last Edit: 27 Feb '03 - 12:22 by RahDick »

Zarggg

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb '03 - 13:21 »

You're right, but there are people with insane screen resolutions, and for those, the skin is just right I think :)

For some of us, it's not just our screens that are insane. ;D

Torkell

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb '03 - 15:54 »

...must've forgot to put my brain in :)

Brains...brains...brains...brains... :evil:

Sub-Zero

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb '03 - 22:00 »
That's what I said.  Snatch looks about right on my 2048x1536 desktop in terms of overall screen size, but then why are the fonts and displays smaller than the one found on the default 1.5x skin?

The other skins (except default 1.5) are all WAAY too small.  I didn't buy a 21" monitor to run at 800x600...  Its too bad xmplay doesn't support a standard win32 GUI so it looks and works consistently with the rest of the system.  That's my overall preference since it'll scale with the screen resolution like any other program.

Ralesk

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb '03 - 11:04 »
Indeed... We need no interpolation

And I still don't think a winamp-style double size mode is such a horrible thing to be added :]

HyperDrive

Re:
« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar '03 - 00:33 »

It's not a secret that some MODs actually sound better with
no interpolation. Chip tunes are a good example on this.
No interpolation sometimes also gives a more natural sound
and it is always good to keep the sound as "original" as
possible. :)

Actually, they sound "better" with interpolation (go study some signal theory if you have doubts ::)). But since the original AMIGA wouldn't do interpolated resampling, musicians eventually found ways to turn that handicap into an advantage, by making some weird sound effects...
Interpolated resampling always makes modules sound better, but sometimes not like the original composer intended! :)

Olego

Better
« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar '03 - 04:53 »
"Better" is in the ear of the beholder.  Let us not start an argument about that but merely add the "No Interpolation" support and be happy.  :)

~Olego~

Torkell

Re:
« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar '03 - 17:23 »

Actually, they sound "better" with interpolation (go study some signal theory if you have doubts ::)). But since the original AMIGA wouldn't do interpolated resampling, musicians eventually found ways to turn that handicap into an advantage, by making some weird sound effects...
Interpolated resampling always makes modules sound better, but sometimes not like the original composer intended! :)

I agree with Jeano. Sometimes a MOD will have been made specifically with the intention of playing samples at a certain rate. If anything, changing the rate can destroy some effects used, especially if the playback sample rate is not a perfect multiple of the original one. As it's going to turn up for BASS, which in some ways is considered to be the audio engine for XMPlay, does no reason why we can't have it in our favourite media player (okay, okay, I'll leave off the flattering now ;D).

On an unrelated note, I don't have any problems with skin sizes. I use the Vintage one mainly, on my 1152 by 864 & 800 by 600 dual-monitor setup, and the x1.5 skin works nicely whenever I need a larger display for some playlist fiddling. Then again, if you *are* running at 2048 by 1536 then you do need a larger skin. Perhaps what's needed are a couple of the 'pretty' skins at x1.5 or x2 size?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar '03 - 22:29 »
Just to clear it up, when I said this:

I meant a non-interpolated option will be in the next release ;D

Ralesk

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar '03 - 18:06 »
Yay ^_^

Torkell

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar '03 - 15:37 »
Ah...

*feels silly for having posted a long message about the virtues of disabling interpolation*

The skins thing still applies... it should be easy to add a 2x option built-in to XMPlay (on the right-click skin menu). Just draw 2x2 instead of 1x1 blocks.

Sub-Zero

Re:
« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar '03 - 03:52 »

Just to clear it up, when I said this:
I meant a non-interpolated option will be in the next release ;D

How about a guassian/8point tap? :)

Fraggie

Re:
« Reply #20 on: 6 Mar '03 - 16:52 »

*feels silly for having posted a long message about the virtues of disabling interpolation*

"You (...) made yourself look like a jerk in front of millions of people! And you brought shame and disgrace on your family name for generations to come!" ;)

Torkell

Re:
« Reply #21 on: 6 Mar '03 - 16:56 »

"You (...) made yourself look like a jerk in front of millions of people! And you brought shame and disgrace on your family name for generations to come!" ;)

8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar '03 - 12:50 »
How about a guassian/8point tap? :)

I've not looked into it yet, but I may replace the spline interpolation... it was written many years ago, and there's somewhat more processing power to play with these days :)

Sub-Zero

« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar '03 - 21:59 »
Awesome..:)

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #24 on: 9 Mar '03 - 16:40 »
The No-Interpolation mode sounds cool, Ian ;D

But I'm desperately missing another % for title displaying in the playlist... %5 for "filename"! And maybe some more... ;)