Author Topic: Resolution  (Read 12559 times)

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
Re: Resolution
« Reply #75 on: 4 Nov '18 - 21:39 »
[...]

When adding the 2x "big" option, I did also look into allowing pretty much any scale on the fly, eg. using the mouse wheel to adjust. It worked by rendering the window in normal size off screen and then resizing the whole thing before displaying. It worked OK in general but there were issues. The big issue was that text looked bad when blown up that way. Another issue was the extra CPU usage of the resizing, which is avoided by pre-scaling everything when loading the skin (as the "big" option does).

The issue with doing fractional size changes when pre-scaling is that the controls/buttons are drawn on pixel boundaries but the correct positions and sizes may no longer be on a pixel boundary, so they may not look quite right. Rendering in normal size and then resizing avoids that issue but has the other issues mentioned.

I feel you. Anyway, scaling pixel-based images has always been a pain in the butt and unless you either remake the skin in the proper resolution or employing deep learning to resize the images without (apparent) loss of detail, there's always going to be interpolation, filtering and the whole host of problems associated with it.

I also feel like there's very little gratitude towards software development and IT stuff in general. People just expect stuff to work, because they don't understand the amount of work and the complexity of the problems behind it. Unfortunately I also see some of that behaviour here, so let me say THANK YOU Ian, not just for your effort on tackling the skin scaling issue, but also in general!

deus-ex

« Reply #76 on: 4 Nov '18 - 22:50 »
I also feel like there's very little gratitude towards software development and IT stuff in general. People just expect stuff to work, because they don't understand the amount of work and the complexity of the problems behind it. Unfortunately I also see some of that behaviour here, so let me say THANK YOU Ian, not just for your effort on tackling the skin scaling issue, but also in general!

I can fully agree with that. And I'd like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to both of you once again. :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: 5 Nov '18 - 12:47 »

No problem. Thank you for your efforts too!