Author Topic: 3.8 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 254563 times)

Androgeos

Re: 3.8 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #725 on: 13 Jul '20 - 03:26 »
Since last month, I've been unable to select Microsoft Sound Mapper as an output device in Options -> Output.

Rather oddly, because I had XMPlay set to Microsoft Sound Mapper before the update was pushed down (and it's also the default setting when XMPlay is first run), XMPlay can still play audio, but whenever I try to navigate away from the Output menu, XMPlay will always ask me if I want to discard my changes.

I have tried deleting xmplay.ini to see if it fixes the problem, but it does not, which leads me to suspect that this may have something to do with the latest feature update to Windows 10.

A smaller potential issue I noticed is that XMPlay occasionally loses focus when I close the Options window, as though I had accidentally clicked on another window after I closed it.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #726 on: 13 Jul '20 - 15:11 »
Hey has something change in 384?

I have a mod that will not play in it. (fresh unzipped copy). Where as 383 works fine.

mod.monday, amiga, pretty "chippy" so usese lots of things I guess?

Please upload the affected file to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Since last month, I've been unable to select Microsoft Sound Mapper as an output device in Options -> Output.

Rather oddly, because I had XMPlay set to Microsoft Sound Mapper before the update was pushed down (and it's also the default setting when XMPlay is first run), XMPlay can still play audio, but whenever I try to navigate away from the Output menu, XMPlay will always ask me if I want to discard my changes.

That's strange. What Windows 10 version (shown in Windows' Settings > About) is it? Do you still get asked the discard question after you've clicked the "Apply" button? If so, does it happen if you select a different device in the list?

carrot007

« Reply #727 on: 14 Jul '20 - 20:09 »
Carrot007, upload the affected file to ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/ so the developer can look at it.

Ok,  monday.7z should be there.

Androgeos

« Reply #728 on: 15 Jul '20 - 14:11 »

That's strange. What Windows 10 version (shown in Windows' Settings > About) is it? Do you still get asked the discard question after you've clicked the "Apply" button? If so, does it happen if you select a different device in the list?
[/quote]

Version is 2004. Upon pressing the "Apply" button, the discard question no longer appears. However, it is also no longer possible for me to play audio files using XMPlay since there is no option to change the output device to Microsoft Sound Mapper - I need to delete xmplay.ini for XMPlay to play audio again; this brings me back to where I am before I press "Apply".

Another computer I own that runs an older version of Windows (1909) but the same version of XMPlay doesn't have this issue, and it also lists the other audio output devices besides the WAV Writer and Encoder options, in addition to Microsoft Sound Mapper.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #729 on: 15 Jul '20 - 17:51 »

That file seems to be playing OK here. Is the file not playing at all there, or is it just not playing properly? If the latter, please give the position of where it's going wrong. If you haven't already done so, also give the latest build a try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Version is 2004. Upon pressing the "Apply" button, the discard question no longer appears. However, it is also no longer possible for me to play audio files using XMPlay since there is no option to change the output device to Microsoft Sound Mapper

Oh yes, it looks like Win10 2004 has a bug in the waveOutGetDevCaps function, which is no longer returning the "Microsoft Sound Mapper" description for the wave mapper device. Here's an XMPlay update that will default to that name if Windows doesn't give one:

Let me know if you still have the problem with it.

Androgeos

« Reply #730 on: 16 Jul '20 - 04:52 »
It works! I'm seeing both Microsoft Sound Mapper and my audio device listed as output devices now. Thanks! ;D

carrot007

« Reply #731 on: 16 Jul '20 - 14:42 »

That file seems to be playing OK here. Is the file not playing at all there, or is it just not playing properly? If the latter, please give the position of where it's going wrong. If you haven't already done so, also give the latest build a try:

Hi tried latest version still an issue.

Here is how I best see the issue.

Open 3.8.3.4 and 3.8.4.14 (being the ones on my machine)

Open visualatation.

Mute track 1,3, and 4 (not saying it does not occur there but this is the most affected track).

(and now sorry for my bad description as not really having used protracker much on the creatrion side (not saying it is protracker just protracker played it fine back on the amiga!) who knows what I am saying ;-) ).

OK seem to go bad at position 10/11.

Basically the lines with no command seem to be played as a reset rather than keeping the vibarto / volume going as it always has.

If you need anything more just ask. I guess I could do a screen cap of one played then the other. But it really should be obvious if you can play just track 2 in both.

Cheers.

saga

« Reply #732 on: 16 Jul '20 - 17:28 »
XMPlay seems to get a bit confused by the non-existent patterns in this file: https://modarchive.org/module.php?189705
A separate subtune seems to be added for every non-existent pattern, and if you just play through the file, it will appear to play subtune 1 first and then subtune 8, although logically it should be subtune 9 (if you manually jump to subtune 9, it will indeed play the same patterns as subtune 8 on the first playthrough).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #733 on: 17 Jul '20 - 14:15 »
Here is how I best see the issue.

Open 3.8.3.4 and 3.8.4.14 (being the ones on my machine)

Open visualatation.

Mute track 1,3, and 4 (not saying it does not occur there but this is the most affected track).

(and now sorry for my bad description as not really having used protracker much on the creatrion side (not saying it is protracker just protracker played it fine back on the amiga!) who knows what I am saying ;-) ).

If the file sounds correct in ProTracker, please try setting XMPlay's "MOD playback mode" option to "PT1" and see if that helps.

XMPlay seems to get a bit confused by the non-existent patterns in this file: https://modarchive.org/module.php?189705
A separate subtune seems to be added for every non-existent pattern, and if you just play through the file, it will appear to play subtune 1 first and then subtune 8, although logically it should be subtune 9 (if you manually jump to subtune 9, it will indeed play the same patterns as subtune 8 on the first playthrough).

Empty (0 row) patterns don't seem to be valid in IT files, as Impulse Tracker locks up when it gets to them? Still, here's an XMPlay update that should handle them better:

saga

« Reply #734 on: 17 Jul '20 - 14:40 »
Ah, I didn't have a deeper look into the file, I assumed that the parapointer was just 0 (in which case I think IT would just play an empty 64-row pattern). It does indeed lock up when playing that file so I guess the file is corrupted in some way or another. Either way, the revised behaviour makes more sense. Thanks for the quick fix!

Juest

« Reply #735 on: 20 Jul '20 - 00:38 »
XMPlay's virtual channel code hasn't changed in many years, so I wouldn't expect this issue to be a new thing. Are you sure you didn't change that setting to 999999 around the same time as upgrading to XMPlay 3.8.4? If so, what was the previous version that you were using, and is there no problem if you switch back to that and set virtual channels to 999999 again?

Anyway, I will tweak the virtual channel stuff for the next release to prevent high virtual channel limits affecting CPU usage, but high limits will still be using more memory, so I wouldn't recommend it. When there are no virtual channels free, it will be the quietest one that is killed/replaced, so you're very unlikely to hear any difference over even 100 voices.

Thanks! Well, I am sure that it definitely regressed because I had the same high value long before and it worked fine. I'm aware through, of course; just that it shouldn't be chugging badly if it's not needed by the file in question or something, im mostly doing it to clear out any limitations. naive, I know!

Juest

« Reply #736 on: 20 Jul '20 - 00:48 »
Oh, I bring you the attention to a certain longstanding bug with audio.
you cant go beyond 96000hz of sample rate, more precisely putting 100000 causes the player to work like it had one less zero, leading to very low visualization quality, in particular the spectrometer or anything that depends on pitch. 192khz files suffer from this easily, when it tries to play them at native rate.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #737 on: 20 Jul '20 - 14:51 »
That's strange. I'm not seeing any obvious difference in the spectrum vis when the output rate is set above or below 100000 here. To check if it may be something config related, please try renaming your XMPLAY.INI file for a fresh start and then see if the problem still happens when you set a high output rate. And if that prevents the problem then upload your original XMPLAY.INI file to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Juest

« Reply #738 on: 3 Aug '20 - 09:52 »
this is more noticeable with the 3D spectrum one, you can compare with another player. the bands are wider in that case as opposed to how it's supposed to be.
also it's a long standing issue.

I'll try that.. you already have my xmplay.ini

Juest

« Reply #739 on: 3 Aug '20 - 10:00 »
sorry for double post but; the vis becomes clearer and more detailed when the sample rate is below that.

also the selector only allows up to 96000.

the difference isnt super obvious but its more noticeable when you have narrow overtones closer together.

Juest

« Reply #740 on: 3 Aug '20 - 10:24 »
damn i forgot that also the playback resumes when the player is paused after a audio switch/reinit happens on the system. the player shows activity in a erratic manner in this state. shouldn't be doing it altogether

saga

« Reply #741 on: 3 Aug '20 - 11:16 »
damn i forgot that also the playback resumes when the player is paused after a audio switch/reinit happens on the system. the player shows activity in a erratic manner in this state. shouldn't be doing it altogether
Are you using the latest test version? This should be fixed according to this post.

Juest

« Reply #742 on: 3 Aug '20 - 19:16 »
Are you using the latest test version? This should be fixed according to this post.

ah right,yes i am, it does work but only pauses after a second or so. not immediately

Juest

« Reply #743 on: 3 Aug '20 - 19:18 »
but the playback remains glitched unfortunately, and so does the visualizations