Author Topic: xmp-aac plugin better than Windows builtin  (Read 281 times)

aspertyx

Using XMPLAY 3.8.3.8, I notice that the AAC plugin xmp-aac.dll plays more aac files than using the builtin Windows aac codec.  I was a bit surprised. BTW, I never encountered a problem with xmp-aac and will continue using it.

sveakul

Re: xmp-aac plugin better than Windows builtin
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun '18 - 02:46 »
I notice that the AAC plugin xmp-aac.dll plays more aac files than using the builtin Windows aac codec

Hi aspertyx:  by "more aac files", what do you mean exactly?  What type of aac file have you found that will only play if xmp-aac.dll is installed?  And what Windows OS are you using?

aspertyx

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun '18 - 08:00 »
On further examination, these are m4a files that XMPLAY will only play using the xmp-acc.dll plugin. Using the default Windows codecs, XMPLAY will not play these files. There is no XMPLAY message. Not all m4a files are un-playable. Most of my m4a files can be played by XMPLAY without xmp-aac.dll. Using mediainfo, the un-playable files look OK. XMPLAY is running under Windows 7 x64.

sveakul

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun '18 - 02:41 »
OK, thanks for reply.  I have Windows 7 32-bit and I don't use xmp-aac.dll with XMPlay,  but I have LAV Filters installed with LAV as the priority for AAC (originally to facilitate the uLilith player), so my XMPlay isn't using the Windows Media codecs either.  LAV has no problems with any AAC/M4A file or stream I've tried with XMPlay.

Was just curious as to what the "problem" AAC files were, maybe they have some corruption that xmp-aac.dll is able to work around that would crash the Windows codecs.  BASS is a pretty tough cookie  :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun '18 - 13:23 »
Please upload the M4A files that you're unable to play without the XMP-AAC plugin to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

aspertyx

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun '18 - 03:47 »
xmp-aac_playable.m4a uploaded

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun '18 - 16:59 »
Oh right, the uploaded file has a sample rate of 96000 Hz, while the Windows AAC decoder only supports up to 48000 Hz. So it will unfortunately be unplayable without the AAC plugin.